OPPO BDP-103 Analog Outs to [insert musical 5.1 receiver here] - Looking for opinions, reviews, advice

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Emotiva UMC-200 is loaded on the UPS truck, out for delivery!!!
I'm pretty damned excited! :SB
I'm really curious how you like the Emotiva. I have a similar setup using the 103, but switched to letting my NAD process the bitstream and not use the analog outs, mainly because I read (maybe incorrectly) that I could NOT use the Dirac Live room correction with the analog outs. And once I heard the room correction, I couldn't go back.

Congrats on the new gear and best of luck with your setup!

If I might deviate from topic momentarily...do you have any problems with the HDMI board on your NR609? When I barely had warranty left I sent my 609 to be fixed, but it eventually started up again with more problems. Onkyo was well aware of the problems, and I was able to pay I think $200 and send them my removed serial number for a newer model (NR656) shipped to me.
I keep meaning to pull the board on the 609 and update to better caps which supposedly fixes it-but just haven't got to it.
Just had another realization, I haven't heard any static since I upgraded my "Small" surround/rears to "Large" or "Full Range" Maybe the processing was the cause (I did a speaker & cable swap trying to isolate the problem, originally).

So, BDP-103 HDMI out to UMC-200 HDMI in, I'm getting video (which is successfully being passed to the TV), but no audio. Tried a CD and a DVD-A.
Checked mute on both units. Tried a different cable.
Tried both outs on the OPPO and two on the Emotiva, so far.
More troubleshooting ahead. Ideas welcome.

The Emotiva passed speaker checks through the amp, so we're good there.

Also, the Emotiva didn't come with the calibration mic. I used one from a Denon AVR instead. No biggie or big no no? I can get OEM for $38.

So, BDP-103 HDMI out to UMC-200 HDMI in, I'm getting video (which is successfully being passed to the TV), but no audio. Tried a CD and a DVD-A.
Checked mute on both units. Tried a different cable.
Tried both outs on the OPPO and two on the Emotiva, so far.
More troubleshooting ahead. Ideas welcome.

The Emotiva passed speaker checks through the amp, so we're good there.

Also, the Emotiva didn't come with the calibration mic. I used one from a Denon AVR instead. No biggie or big no no? I can get OEM for $38.
My Yamaha has input settings - audio select - analog, HDMI or auto.

I'm sure there is some kind of setting I need to find.

Next steps:

Connected a 2nd BDP. The Sony x800. Tried the main HDMI out (Audio & Video) and it behaved the same. Video yes, audio no.
Then, just now, I tried the "Audio Only" 2nd HDMI output of the x800. Guess what? Audio!
Now, how to get audio & video? It might take multiple HDMI inputs on the Emotiva? Though that seems asinine.

Ok, cracked this nut, though my solution might not be elegant.

OPPO BDP-103 HDMI 1 to TV and HDMI 2 to UMC-200. The TV gets video and the Emotiva gets the audio just fine.
I think the game-changer was unplugging the HDMI output of the Emotiva. I had it set to "amplifier," which I think was correct, but the setting descriptions for the HDMI out leave something to be desired.

OPPO BDP-103 HDMI 1 to TV and HDMI 2 to UMC-200. The TV gets video and the Emotiva gets the audio just fine.
I think the game-changer was unplugging the HDMI output of the Emotiva. I had it set to "amplifier," which I think was correct, but the setting descriptions for the HDMI out leave something to be desired.
Would have said the 103 is set to split the audio to HDMI 2 but you tried the Sony as well

I believe the HDMI descriptions can be edited, in fact, unless someone reset the unit, it probably has the old PO's descriptions in place.

One of the Emotiva's quirks is naming conventions. For instance, if you want to play MC FLAC with bass management and DSP correction the mode setting has to be "stereo all". Strange name for a MC mode isn't it? LFE level is called "subwoofer level". Stuff like that.

The unit also allows for audio and video to come from different sources, which may be causing your issue.

I'd consider doing a reset to factory values so you know where you are starting from. Did you print out a manual yet.

Ok. I requested cancellation. The order is unfulfilled, so far, so let's see what happens. Thanks for your kindness.
There is an Emotiva forum where I've even seen members temporary mailing the mics to each other, just asking to get it back.
I think you are good. I think they will cancel it.

Once you are sure you don't have one coming, send me a mailing address and i'll get that spare right out to you.

The Emotiva forum can supply some decent information. There is also a page on the AVS site devoted to the UMC-200.

When you get a chance, check the firmware information on the forum and on your unit and see if its up to date. IIRC a firmware update on that unit is a PIA.

I think you are good. I think they will cancel it.

Once you are sure you don't have one coming, send me a mailing address and i'll get that spare right out to you.

The Emotiva forum can supply some decent information. There is also a page on the AVS site devoted to the UMC-200.

When you get a chance, check the firmware information on the forum and on your unit and see if its up to date. IIRC a firmware update on that unit is a PIA.
Fortunately, I think my firmware is the latest. v52. Phewww!!! Yeah, I've read some horror stories about unfortunate types bricking their units.

I plan to join the emotiva forum and I'm already on AVS.

I have an OPPO UDP-205 connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-95 via HDMI in addition to the 2-channel analog outs. I consider myself to have pretty good ears, but to be honest, I can't tell the difference between the two when I switch. Maybe its because the Pioneer is also equipped with Sabre DAC's, similar to the ones in the OPPO?

Back