OPPO BDP-103 Analog Outs to [insert musical 5.1 receiver here] - Looking for opinions, reviews, advice

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the UDP-205, both for the DAC (through which I feed everything) and for the balanced XLR outs that run to my Leema Tucana II and from there to a pair of Tetra 333s. Couldn’t be happier! But I don’t think the BDP has balanced outs, and that was a prerequisite when I put my system together.

I have the UDP-205, both for the DAC (through which I feed everything) and for the balanced XLR outs that run to my Leema Tucana II and from there to a pair of Tetra 333s. Couldn’t be happier! But I don’t think the BDP has balanced outs, and that was a prerequisite when I put my system together.
The pro audio interfaces with high end DACs have balanced outputs as a standard feature.
It just eliminates that noise headache. I don't mean to suggest that you can't have proper noise free signal transfer with an unbalanced connection. But as soon as you get a couple feet away and/or if there's any RF in the area, it's a problem. Again, it just takes the headache out and just passes full level signal. Oh, and full level signal too. Not the lower unbalanced levels.

I suspect that the aim here is probably more the experience of using the stand-aloine style of equipment than chasing best fidelity and performance for lowest cost. But if this starts to interest anyone else, there ya go. :)

The pro audio interfaces with high end DACs have balanced outputs as a standard feature.
It just eliminates that noise headache. I don't mean to suggest that you can't have proper noise free signal transfer with an unbalanced connection. But as soon as you get a couple feet away and/or if there's any RF in the area, it's a problem. Again, it just takes the headache out and just passes full level signal. Oh, and full level signal too. Not the lower unbalanced levels.

I suspect that the aim here is probably more the experience of using the stand-aloine style of equipment than chasing best fidelity and performance for lowest cost. But if this starts to interest anyone else, there ya go. :)
Well, for me it started with buying the Tetras and the OPPO. Then, with some help from the president of Tetra, who helped me with some research (this being my first high end system) into an amp that would be similarly neutral and, ideally integrated (though internally, the Tucana II is actually two mono blocks, with three weighty transformers, one for each mono block and another for the rest). He found a floor model in Toronto that I got for a very reasonable price (and with full warranty)....and he’s actually said it’s one of the best pairings with Tetra 333s that he’s heard.

I’m a former gigging and recording musician, and for me neutrality was paramount, and I sure got it. A buddy who’s been in the audiophile arena for decades still comments on how terrific everything sounds, whether at low or more raised volumes (another prerequisite where Tetra excels). Like I said, I couldn’t be happier!

A little off topic but I know guys/gals here will know the answer.

If I add an Amazon Firestick 4k to my Oppo BDP-105, will the Oppo pass true 4K content via fiber optic HDMI to my Sony 4K projector? I know the Oppo can upscale sources 4K. But can it serve as a pass through for 4K content?

Thanks.

A little off topic but I know guys/gals here will know the answer.

If I add an Amazon Firestick 4k to my Oppo BDP-105, will the Oppo pass true 4K content via fiber optic HDMI to my Sony 4K projector? I know the Oppo can upscale sources 4K. But can it serve as a pass through for 4K content?

Thanks.
I had a BDP-105 before upgrading the the UDP-205. The BDP does not support native 4K in any way, AFAIK; if you want 4K you'll need to get the UDP, I'm afraid. That said, other than complaining at their dropping HDCD with the UDP (but they do have a firmware upgrade that now allows my OPPO to support MQA in both hard and soft media formats), I'm thrilled with it.

Back