Oppo BDP- 103

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow- you're really backed up! Ready for the apocalypse!
I'm knockin' on the door of my 64th birthday and I'm pretty sure my all of my universal players will outlive me. 😌

I've just started on the process of ripping my entire CD collection (~3000 titles) to the Bluesound Vault 2i that I gifted myself from my federal tax refund. When I finish that task, I plan to hang on to the discs anyway. I worked in the PC business and it was universally acknowledged that hard disk drives were always the weakest link in the PC hardware chain. Along the way I'll be backing up the Vault's disk drive to an external 2 TB Solid State drive.

I'm knockin' on the door of my 64th birthday and I'm pretty sure my all of my universal players will outlive me. 😌

I've just started on the process of ripping my entire CD collection (~3000 titles) to the Bluesound Vault 2i that I gifted myself from my federal tax refund. When I finish that task, I plan to hang on to the discs anyway. I worked in the PC business and it was universally acknowledged that hard disk drives were always the weakest link in the PC hardware chain. Along the way I'll be backing up the Vault's disk drive to an external 2 TB Solid State drive.
Only 2TB's? Although if they are just CD's that's quite a few CD's that it will hold. I just ran out of space on my 24TB's of drives.

Only 2TB's? Although if they are just CD's that's quite a few CD's that it will hold. I just ran out of space on my 24TB's of drives.
According the Bluesound website, if you want to back-up the contents of the internal disk drive, the external back-up drive needs to be of the same capacity.

My Question is for owners of both the 103 and the 203. I have the later. After 3 years getting my home immersive showrooms ready for presentation, I have finally added the new SONY OLED 83", A bargain for 7.999 and the best television ever made and one that behaves like one unit with the Marantz av8805a (setup in a wonderful 5+wides.0.4) thanks to the excellent Bravia sync hdmi cec control with the coolest luxurious feeling back lit remote), by far faster than the best Crestron systems (ie. instantaneous mute but also nimble full control of the oppo to navgate songs while playing) . MY QUESTION IS playing 5.1 flacs, does the 103 behave as responsive to commands as the 203? Or will the 103 memory lock up after many song changes (requiring a power reboot).
Mandelorian.jpg

The internal Atmos/Dolby vision apps on the Sony are 15-20% sharper, cleaner and less DNR looking than the appletv 4k ( which is also perfectly in sync via CEC) the visual superiority evident on especially on Disney Channel, HBOMax, and Prime looks the least mediocre it has ever looked Tidal in Atmos sounds great and navigates well. This is a new level of performance at so many levels, and I do 1-2 million theaters every once in a while.
Oppo 2.jpg

jukebox 1 (1).jpg

Room 3.jpg

Room 6.jpg
Room 9.jpg
Room 4.jpg
Room b.jpg

Your response is greatly anticipated and be most welcome. To see if I can pick up a couple of 103's. Also will it play mkv edited clips from Atmos music MKV's straight out of the box?

Last edited:
the only con I can see to the 103 compared to the previous 93 is the 103 doesn't play iso's.

this is becomming less important as my 4k rips only play as mkv (not iso) so iso's are relegated to "old (1080p)" blu-rays

the only con I can see to the 103 compared to the previous 93 is the 103 doesn't play iso's.

this is becomming less important as my 4k rips only play as mkv (not iso) so iso's are relegated to "old (1080p)" blu-rays
But then I believe that the 93 does not play AVCHD folders (full Blu-Ray with menus) on a hard drive. I use this function all the time on my 103. I use my Sony X800 to play 4K M2TS files off hard drives (100% quality rip from 4K disc from both an audio and video perspective on 32TB of drives at this point).

Nor does a 93 unless it has very old firmware. The firmware updates removed iso playback, and prevented rolling back to older firmware.
Yes, that's why people are willing to pay more for a 93 that has the older firmware than one that was "kept up to date". I don't have my 93 connected to the internet just to be sure the firmware never changes. It plays SACD-Rs too.
I also have a 103 that is connected to my network so any streaming from my computers go to that player.

Yes, that's why people are willing to pay more for a 93 that has the older firmware than one that was "kept up to date". I don't have my 93 connected to the internet just to be sure the firmware never changes. I also have a 103 that is connected to my network so any streaming from my computers go to that player.
Having sold my 93 a few years back I actually don't remember what iso's it is able to read. Is this all iso's of DVD's and Blu-Rays? I remember that it did read a SACD iso written to a DVD. With the 103, it can still play Blu-Rays this way and I rip all my DVD's to mkv files. SACD's are ripped to dsd files. So I guess I have gotten around this feature.

Having sold my 93 a few years back I actually don't remember what iso's it is able to read. Is this all iso's of DVD's and Blu-Rays? I remeber that it did read a SACD iso written to a DVD.
Yes and the lockout wasn't an Oppo thing. The music companies forced all manufactures to do this or they wouldn't give them licensing for the different formats. It was to combat piracy.

In case anyone is looking for a 93 that can play iso and SACD-Rs, I believe the firmware to look for is BDP9X-74-0908 (or earlier). If you search on the web there is a page that lists all the firmware updates for the 93 and lists what each update changed.

I have been searching for an Oppo and found a 103 model for a reasonable price could I get a pros and cons review from any member that owns this model.
Much appreciated. Ken
I have quite a few Audio Fidelity gold CDs that are hdcd encoded.
The 103 will decode HDCD.
The 203 won't.

I don't have my 93 connected to the internet just to be sure the firmware never changes.
No need for that any more, the upgrade server has been absent from the internet for at least a couple of years. Looks like Oppo shut it down. You can still download firmware files to upgrade over USB or CD.

Back