Reavon Blu-ray DVD-Audio SACD player coming out in Europe.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought we were discussing performance and not money. If OPPO's are STELLAR in performance I don't know what words would be used to describe the other ones.
I did not say they were stellar,I said they were good for the money.To use these expensive brands and hear the difference,you need a very good setup.I don't have that so I'm happy with my Oppo.Do Esoteric play multichannel?

I did not say they were stellar,I said they were good for the money.To use these expensive brands and hear the difference,you need a very good setup.I don't have that so I'm happy with my Oppo.Do Esoteric play multichannel?

The other guy said STELLAR. Clearly he's out of his element if he thinks Oppo sounds the same as Esoteric/MSB/DCS. Those don't even sound similar to each other. Same old Story...those with no experience with High End Gear or the wallet to match have to bash everything they cant afford. I still have NOS Oppo 105's and 205's Still sealed in their boxes as well as open ones. They aren't even close to being in the same league even with my old ears. To say otherwise is just completely ignorant and uninformed

I wish someone would make an OPPO UDP-205 clone. It is my favorite of all the players I’ve tested and/or owned. I really don’t want to pay a minimum of $2,500 to get another one.
Sir, I have
I’m sticking with my Oppo 205 because I’m familiar with it and it’s relatively easy to use. No streaming services, iCloud storage etc. to get into...Although I just took a look at the Exasound website and that DAC looks very tempting! Too expensive at $6800...But then again, that‘s only about $1700 in 1978 dollars. I may be in deep shit here........
you are on the verge of a completely new purchase rationalization platform. I like that!

Wow, I appreciate all the information that was provided by everyone.
I am on a budget as being retired does kinda limit amount of funds that can be spent so will look into the Sony's that were described.
Plus just found out the plumbing that was done in our home had Poly B piping used for all bath rooms and kitchen so we are going to be looking at alot of work and expense to remove it and put in new piping.

Wow, I appreciate all the information that was provided by everyone.
I am on a budget as being retired does kinda limit amount of funds that can be spent so will look into the Sony's that were described.
Plus just found out the plumbing that was done in our home had Poly B piping used for all bath rooms and kitchen so we are going to be looking at alot of work and expense to remove it and put in new piping.
Good luck!:)

To say otherwise is just completely ignorant and uninformed
You are fully welcome to present your evidence from tightly bias controlled DBT listening tests, along with measurements to prove your claims rather than beat your chest with claims of golden ears and gear. That is mostly a bunch of elitist baloney. Come on over to ASR and show us what about the Oppo's DACs and the rest make them sound any different let alone better than those you mentioned.
The Oppo 205 was measured close to 3 years ago, and as I said it performed in a stellar manner.
But that was 3 years ago, many DAC's have passed over the bench since then, including a $695 Topping D70 that has cleaned house of the Oppo and many others costing much more.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d70s-mqa-review-dac.18728/Here are the current top 10
index.php

BTW That Topping DX7pro is only $595 and includes an excellent headphone amp.
Once more you are welcome to present your evidence of these huge audible differences while keeping your eyes closed and the playing field level. Until then you should stop with your name calling since you are obviouslly living in a fantasy land and may be in need of medication.
To quote Peter Aczel
"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

You are fully welcome to present your evidence from tightly bias controlled DBT listening tests, along with measurements to prove your claims rather than beat your chest with claims of golden ears and gear. That is mostly a bunch of elitist baloney. Come on over to ASR and show us what about the Oppo's DACs and the rest make them sound any different let alone better than those you mentioned.
The Oppo 205 was measured close to 3 years ago, and as I said it performed in a stellar manner.
But that was 3 years ago, many DAC's have passed over the bench since then, including a $695 Topping D70 that has cleaned house of the Oppo and many others costing much more.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d70s-mqa-review-dac.18728/Here are the current top 10
index.php

BTW That Topping DX7pro is only $595 and includes an excellent headphone amp.
Once more you are welcome to present your evidence of these huge audible differences while keeping your eyes closed and the playing field level. Until then you should stop with your name calling since you are obviouslly living in a fantasy land and may be in need of medication.
To quote Peter Aczel
"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"
You live in Florida....Go To Suncoast Audio one of the largest dealers in the USA. Bring your OPPO with you. Mike Carries MSB, ESOTERIC, LUXMAN and probably has a DCS laying around. Go make your own comparisons using your ears and not your Charts. You wont believe the difference you hear. Even if you take 2 Esoterics....the older ones with a Dac Chip compared to the new NON Chip ones the difference is staggering. You know a Catfish that eats other fish feces at the bottom of the tank doesn't understand why all the other fish are eating Brine Shrimp at the Top. To him eating the crap is just as good....maybe he's just going by the Feces flavor charts.

You wont believe the difference you hear....
The difference is staggering...
As one who doesn't doubt there can be sonic differences, I have almost always found them to be much, much, much more subtle that they are typically portrayed. If they were truly that different, the average joe should be able to hear the difference, but they apparently can not.

I have heard a few differences in high priced electronics here and there (note the word electronics here... I'm not discussing transducers like loudspeakers or phono cartridges). They were oh-so-subtle, and i had to A-B compare to hear any difference at all in the first place. But once you've detected a difference, which version of the truth is actually more correct... more accurate? The high price tag usually convinces the buyer that it MUST be the higher priced item. No doubt, right?

Last edited:
You live in Florida....Go To Suncoast Audio one of the largest dealers in the USA. Bring your OPPO with you. Mike Carries MSB, ESOTERIC, LUXMAN and probably has a DCS laying around. Go make your own comparisons using your ears and not your Charts. You wont believe the difference you hear. Even if you take 2 Esoterics....the older ones with a Dac Chip compared to the new NON Chip ones the difference is staggering. You know a Catfish that eats other fish feces at the bottom of the tank doesn't understand why all the other fish are eating Brine Shrimp at the Top. To him eating the crap is just as good....maybe he's just going by the Feces flavor charts.
It doesn't make sense to buy an expensive DAC unless everything else in the chain is comparable, or eventually planned to be comparable...the amplifiers, speakers (a big "if") and the room (the biggest equipment "if"). And then there is the question of source material. No ultra-high-end DAC is going to make gnarly stuff sound good. It may very likely make it sound worse as it extracts every last iota of whatever is lurking in the recording.

I've read most of the posts on here and I think most have a valid point or two....can't we just agree on several points...

1. There are high end electronics that offer better performance than an Oppo
2. Oppo performs more functions that any single high end electronics box

Let's stop the pissing contest....both have their place :)

You live in Florida....Go To Suncoast Audio one of the largest dealers in the USA. Bring your OPPO with you.
I've read most of the posts on here and I think most have a valid point or two....can't we just agree on several points...
Billion, you seem to mis-understand, I've got no dog in this debate, I don't own an Oppo.
My rig here is worth approx $20k, if that's not good enough for Mr Money Bags, too bad.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sals-system.614/#post-16407I'm just trying to educate you that the fairy tails you read in TAS and Stereophile are simply meant to
separate those with more money than sense of the cash they don't respect. Audio DAC technology is
a solved technical problem and has been for a number of decades now. Can some sound different,
either thru purposeful design or ignorance of the designer, sure. But they shouldn't and don't when
properly built around known parameters,,, there is no "magic dust" in digital audio.
You can either take the time to learn the facts of digital technology in audio, or continue to immerse yourself in the religion of High End Audio and treat you rig with Tice clocks, coat your discs with CD Stoplight pens,
and place little "magic dots" all around your room.
I'm all done with you, I can lead a man to water but I can't make him drink. ;)

As an owner of two OPPO players I love, and as someone who hates to give Sony any of my money, I must add that the UBP-X800 4K player I bought in 2017 ($159) is the best non-OPPO player I've ever used. Picture quality, audio options, snappy transport, simple remote and just well behaved all-around. Won't play my burned DVD-As (not its mission) but does play burned BD (AVCHD)! Shocking that it's a Sony product (playing actual DVD-A discs on it makes me gleeful with irony).

Probably won't make a move on one of these (Sonic Wiz maintain mode) but curious to see how it plays out. Given the top dollar (aka insane) prices the 4K Oppo players command, it's only logical someone would try to pick up the mantle.

For 4K movies, could I send the audio out of a Sony UBP-X800 into my Oppo 105 via HDMI? And send the 4K video from the Sony to my 4K projector? I've made several upgrades to my 105, and am happy with it in every way, except for the lack of 4K playback. I have a 184" 4K screen, so I'm becoming a "videophile" now. More source resolution(like blu-ray vs DVD) offsets the inherent loss of using a projector vs a big screen TV. Anybody else augment an older Oppo with a 4K player?

I Don't base anything on Mags. When was the last time they featured any Esoteric/DCS/MSB Dac?? Ive purchased more than 300K worth of gear in the past 2-3 years alone. I let my ears tell me whats what. Could care less about specs or anything written on paper or graph chart. Listening is believing. As previously stated I have numerous OPPO's. If you think that sounds the same as others then good for you. You'll save boatloads of money living in denial. Let us all know when you actually have listened to all of them and found your Topping/Terminator or other wanna-be Dac to sound like its in the same ballpark. Keep reading about "facts" rather than experiencing them for yourself. Your info is as worthless as reading the biased mags you mentioned.

Most of my DVD-As are burned ones, so players like the Sony that won't play them are useless to me.

I know SACD-R was forbidden by licencing, but what is the issue with burned DVD-A? It's perfectly reasonable to put music you have recorded yourself on one, or record the output of a quad decoder like CD-4 on one to avoid wearing out a CD-4. And while Oppo removed SACD-R and .iso playback due to licence requirements, I don't think they ever removed burned DVD-A playback. This sounds to me like something Sony did on their own, or even something that was meant to prevent SACD-R but also stopped burned DVD-As.
I think it was a just a sin of omission myself.

Back