Reavon Blu-ray DVD-Audio SACD player coming out in Europe.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Sony UPB-X800 the best option still if getting today to play Dvda,Sacd,and BR?

Can you hookup a Hard drive to play flac's like a Oppo as well?
Yes, I used a thumb drive for a little while, may create another 5.1 HDD for this system with the Sony player. That gets me around burned DVD-A playback issue. Really has been trouble free. Can’t comment on the UPB-800 Mk II, I imagine it’s very close to mine.

Is the Sony UPB-X800 the best option still if getting today to play Dvda,Sacd,and BR?

I have this in my music/cinema.Use it for movies to take the burden off my Oppo 105D.Be sure to get the UPB-X800M2 which is the newest version.(I have that)

As an owner of two OPPO players I love, and as someone who hates to give Sony any of my money, I must add that the UBP-X800 4K player I bought in 2017 ($159) is the best non-OPPO player I've ever used. Picture quality, audio options, snappy transport, simple remote and just well behaved all-around. Won't play my burned DVD-As (not its mission) but does play burned BD (AVCHD)! Shocking that it's a Sony product (playing actual DVD-A discs on it makes me gleeful with irony).

Probably won't make a move on one of these (Sonic Wiz maintain mode) but curious to see how it plays out. Given the top dollar (aka insane) prices the 4K Oppo players command, it's only logical someone would try to pick up the mantle.
I have an X800 as well that I bought new for $147 CAD ($115 USD). I second the view of it being the best non-Oppo player that I have had. It's also weighs 9lbs so it's solidly built. As I use the HDMI outputs on the Oppo 103 (not 7 channel analogs) a new more expensive player would be a waste of time for me. I also have over 300 4K movies (full quality 50-80GB movies in M2TS format directly from the 4K discs) on hard drives attached to the X800. With the combo of the Oppo and the Sony I am very happy. I think the Sony though will only recognize one hard drive at a time.

Last edited:

The Sony is limited in it's capability to play hard drives. Don't go over a single partition on the drive as it will only play the first one. As well I think it has a folder limitation but I haven't tested that on the Sony. I have 6 x 4TB drives attached to the Oppo 103. No limitations at all. Totally different animal from that perspective.

Last edited:
Yes, I used a thumb drive for a little while, may create another 5.1 HDD for this system with the Sony player. That gets me around burned DVD-A playback issue. Really has been trouble free. Can’t comment on the UPB-800 Mk II, I imagine it’s very close to mine.
The M2 adds a few extra features such as Dolby Vision and Bluetooth. If you need these features then I guess the M2 is a better option.

I wish someone would make an OPPO UDP-205 clone. It is my favorite of all the players I’ve tested and/or owned. I really don’t want to pay a minimum of $2,500 to get another one.
Here's a review
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/sony-ubp-x800-4k-uhd-blu-ray-playerAnd a quote from that review:
"The UBP-X800 utilises the same MediaTek platform used by Oppo and Cambridge Audio UHD players, but you’d never guess that from the UI. Powered up, all we see is a tiled interface offering easy access to features and functions."

You are correct, none have it. And the later Oppo's do offer stellar DAC performance so if that's where you choose to do your digital conversion, kool. But if you're looking to do any kind of DRC such as Dirac, Audyssey, whatever, the AVR is converting it back to digital with it's own DAC's to do the work. So I highly doubt any possible SQ advantage survives. Might just as well let you AVR do the work in the first place.

If you think Oppo's have stellar Dac performance I hope you never hear an Esoteric, MSB or DCS current day DAC. The Oppo is a Toy in comparison. Never used an AVR in my life. Have 2 Multi-Channel Pre-amps (Conrad Johnson, Audio Research) and the current EXASOUND Multi-Channel Dac. Even the King of Surround, Kal Rubinson, used the ARC Pre-Amp for best quality (He doesn't like TUBE gear so the Conrad Johnson is out)

If you think Oppo's have stellar Dac performance I hope you never hear an Esoteric, MSB or DCS current day DAC. The Oppo is a Toy in comparison. Never used an AVR in my life. Have 2 Multi-Channel Pre-amps (Conrad Johnson, Audio Research) and the current EXASOUND Multi-Channel Dac. Even the King of Surround, Kal Rubinson, used the ARC Pre-Amp for best quality (He doesn't like TUBE gear so the Conrad Johnson is out)
Oppo had good DAC's for the money.Espesially the 95,105 and 205.The brands you're mentioning costs a lot more,and should sound better.Not everyone of us can afford such esoteric gear. ;)

Oppo had good DAC's for the money.Espesially the 95,105 and 205.The brands you're mentioning costs a lot more,and should sound better.Not everyone of us can afford such esoteric gear. ;)

Thought we were discussing performance and not money. If OPPO's are STELLAR in performance I don't know what words would be used to describe the other ones.

Thought we were discussing performance and not money. If OPPO's are STELLAR in performance I don't know what words would be used to describe the other ones.
I’m sticking with my Oppo 205 because I’m familiar with it and it’s relatively easy to use. No streaming services, iCloud storage etc. to get into...Although I just took a look at the Exasound website and that DAC looks very tempting! Too expensive at $6800...But then again, that‘s only about $1700 in 1978 dollars. I may be in deep shit here........

I’m sticking with my Oppo 205 because I’m familiar with it and it’s relatively easy to use. No streaming services, iCloud storage etc. to get into...Although I just took a look at the Exasound website and that DAC looks very tempting! Too expensive at $6800...But then again, that‘s only about $1700 in 1978 dollars. I may be in deep shit here........
Ask @marpow about Exasound, believe he’s got one.

If they are indeed Pioneer clones, then stay away. I bought one years ago because it was on paper just as good as the Oppo but much cheaper. I couldn't get it to play half the discs I tried. I sent it back to the factory and got it back "fixed." It was, for a while, then did the same thing again. So I bought another one brand new to see if it was just bad luck. Three players later they all sucked. I have one sitting collecting dust in my basement and bought a used Oppo 103. Haven't had a problem. Stay away from Pioneer all in one. And I say this as I have had Pioneer receivers for over a decade and love them, but their all in one player was junk.
He said he was getting bored with it....and it was mine if I wanted it.

Say what :whistle:

I'll chime in here to add another thumbs up for the Sony UBP X800 M2. I purchased one a few months back during a sale..for $249Cdn.
Wonderful machine. Well built, plays my SACD and DVD-A collection no problems, with the exception of burned DVD-A discs as mentioned.
I bought it as a back up in case my OPPO ever dies. I have wound up boxing the OPPO up and using the Sony exclusively as we just moved up a 4k tv, and the OPPO was 1080p. 4k blu ray discs look fantastic.

Last edited:
Here's the Oppo's measurements,
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/And here's a few others you mentioned
index.php

But if your talking about "sounds like", do a very closely level matched, bias controlled, DBT listening test and even money says all differences disappear. Unless someones been voicing their product to sound different and "inaccurate" to the source. That would show up in the measurements.

Last edited:
Most of my DVD-As are burned ones, so players like the Sony that won't play them are useless to me.

I know SACD-R was forbidden by licencing, but what is the issue with burned DVD-A? It's perfectly reasonable to put music you have recorded yourself on one, or record the output of a quad decoder like CD-4 on one to avoid wearing out a CD-4. And while Oppo removed SACD-R and .iso playback due to licence requirements, I don't think they ever removed burned DVD-A playback. This sounds to me like something Sony did on their own, or even something that was meant to prevent SACD-R but also stopped burned DVD-As.

But if your talking about "sounds like", do a very close level matched, bias controlled, DBT listening test and even money says all differences disappear. Unless someones been voicing their product to sound different and "inaccurate" to the source. That would show up in the measurements.

Sal, if I pay $6800 for a DAC, then by definition it is going to sound better than the Oppo 205 (or the fancy Reavon.) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back