OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splinter7

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
From the OPPO website and apparently NOT an April Fools Joke:

Farewell

It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital

From the OPPO website and apparently NOT an April Fools Joke:

Farewell

It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, it is time to say goodbye.
We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.
Best regards,
All of us at OPPO Digital

Speechless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk about a SHOCK TO THE SYSTEM. I must have 6 OPPOs floating around including their newest UHD 205 and even though they allege they will continue to service and offer firmware updates this announcement came out of left field.

Since ALL of their units have been manufactured in China, wonder if the new trade tariffs were contributing factors and/or the fact that 4K video has been somewhat of a bust or the writing's on the wall that streaming has dominated the audio/video field and have collectively contributed to their decision.

I guess we'll never know but hopefully, they'll stand by their products, old and new....but I wonder for HOW LONG?

This is pretty bad news for hi-rez multichannel fans, but hopefully another manufacturer will see this as an opportunity to take over this market segment.

Since just about ALL audio/video units are manufactured in CHINA and the US and that HUGE manufacturing arm are currently engaged in TRADE wars, doubtful any new enterprising company will take over OPPO's reins.

Since EVERY succeeding OPPO unit has been better than previous models and the UHD 203/5 are NO exception [build quality/performance are SUPERB], even selling these units at LIST PRICE obviously couldn't save the day.

I have to agree that it signals the beginning of the end of physical digital media. All the QQ vinyl-haters might have to rethink things if they want to collect music they can hold in their hands. I can't see turntables ending their decades-long reign anytime soon.

Since just about ALL audio/video units are manufactured in CHINA and the US and that HUGE manufacturing arm are currently engaged in TRADE wars, doubtful any new enterprising company will take over OPPO's reins.

Since EVERY succeeding OPPO unit has been better than previous models and the UHD 203/5 are NO exception [build quality/performance are SUPERB], even selling these units at LIST PRICE obviously couldn't save the day.

I wasn't thinking of a new company entering the market.

So, I own a BDP-103....should I buy the 203 now....or no? If my 103 fails.....I'm shit out of luck for playing DVD-A at least......as far as ripping..well....I have 99% of my stuff ripped. But going forward?? But if physical discs are on the way out (multi-channel that is) then I guess....

So, I own a BDP-103....should I buy the 203 now....or no? If my 103 fails.....I'm shit out of luck for playing DVD-A at least......as far as ripping..well....I have 99% of my stuff ripped. But going forward?? But if physical discs are on the way out (multi-channel that is) then I guess....

Think of it this way, Gene, You can probably buy a Universal player like the SONY X800 for cheap but as I have one and it's a good unit, it's NOT an OPPO and let's face it, SONY customer service SUCKS and hopefully OPPO will service their units for a few years to come [fingers crossed]. I've had my OPPO BDP~105 for a few years now and it's performed flawlessly but in the end, it's your decision. Am even considering buying another UDP~205....it's a gorgeous UNIT....might as well go out in style!

When I consider what I paid for crappy high end [?] audio/video players over the years.....the OPPO, IMO, has always been somewhat of a TRUE bargain.

Last edited:
So sad... GOS, I’m in the same boat as you; have a 103, thinking of buying a 203, but what if OPPO is no longer providing firmware updates by the time a actually need to use the unit?! I’m a little hesitant to spend money on a back-up unit... ughhh...

Worse yet - who will manufacture DVD-A/SACD players?????? Wow!! I feel sick honestly.....

There's a thread (or two) about this somewhere, no? As 4EW mentioned, there are universal players like the Sony X800--and I think sjcorne just mentioned (on another thread) getting a newer Denon universal player... But man, it's hard to beat Oppos for quality. Like you, I stopped with the 103 because it does what I need, and it was such a huge price jump to upgrade to the 203/5 (plus, my 980H is still in service as a backup unit). But now I've got that FOMO feeling...

There's a thread (or two) about this somewhere, no? As 4EW mentioned, there are universal players like the Sony X800--and I think sjcorne just mentioned (on another thread) getting a newer Denon universal player... But man, it's hard to beat Oppos for quality. Like you, I stopped with the 103 because it does what I need, and it was such a huge price jump to upgrade to the 203/5 (plus, my 980H is still in service as a backup unit). But now I've got that FOMO feeling...

I was just discussing on another thread [CD's 35th Anniversary] about how much a Nakamichi DRAGON 'cassette' deck cost in the 70's [$3,600] and how in today's US dollars that would translate into over 12 thousand bucks. I always surmised that in today's market for what an OPPO UHD 205 costs at retail [$1299], it's a major bargain for what this unit does. It's built like a tank compared to previous OPPOs and leaves the SONY X800 Universal player in the dust but as I'm not in the position to spend other poster's $$$$, just sayin' that it will probably be the very last Universal player of consequence that you'll be able to purchase.

Back