OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'll love it. I modded my existing one with an external USB dongle so I can play region B Blu-ray discs. Lots of great movies from labels in the UK like Eureka, Indicator and Arrow (to name a few) that are unavailable in the US.

Clint--sorry you didn't get that email...:(.

It's OK...I have a 103D and a brand new 203...I just wanted another 203..no problem...

Well I had given up hope of ever getting a UDP-205.

Had a fella from OPPO on the phone last March after first calling Crutchfeild with a technical question that their sales person could not answer.

I was ready to buy the unit direct from OPPO on the phone, but decided to wait until the next day because I was between double shifts and exhausted.

A week past (due to my procrastination) and then the bad news that they stopped production hit.

I put myself on the waiting list immediately, but after two friends also on the list received theirs in July & August, I figured it was simply not meant to be.

One of these lucky two told me that Technics/Panasonic was supposed to be coming to market with a new killer player, but I have not been able to find such a beast.

Then,,, out of left field I get an OPPO email last Friday, and this time I refused to let an OPPOrtunity pass me by again, so ...
FedEx now says it will arrive this Thursday complete with their optional rack mount kit.

Does anyone here have any faith that buying the extended warranty for an additional $99. won't be wasted should they completely shutter before that period expires???

Had a fella from OPPO on the phone last March after first calling Crutchfeild with a technical question that their sales person could not answer.

I was ready to buy the unit direct from OPPO on the phone, but decided to wait until the next day because I was between double shifts and exhausted.

A week past (due to my procrastination) and then the bad news that they stopped production hit.

I put myself on the waiting list immediately, but after two friends also on the list received theirs in July & August, I figured it was simply not meant to be.

One of these lucky two told me that Technics/Panasonic was supposed to be coming to market with a new killer player, but I have not been able to find such a beast.

Then,,, out of left field I get an OPPO email last Friday, and this time I refused to let an OPPOrtunity pass me by again, so ...
FedEx now says it will arrive this Thursday complete with their optional rack mount kit.

Does anyone here have any faith that buying the extended warranty for an additional $99. won't be wasted should they completely shutter before that period expires???

If Oppo wasn't going to honor the extra year of protection they wouldn't offer it...I know there are skeptics out there...but IMO Oppo's track record speaks for itself(y)..keep this in mind...unlike most business ventures...Oppo isn't leaving the market because they were unsuccessful... so they aren't seeking shelter from a financial burden...

If Oppo wasn't going to honor the extra year of protection they wouldn't offer it...I know there are skeptics out there...but IMO Oppo's track record speaks for itself(y)..keep this in mind...unlike most business ventures...Oppo isn't leaving the market because they were unsuccessful... so they aren't seeking shelter from a financial burden...

Thank you!
That's more or less my reasoning behind why I pulled the trigger on buying the unit ... instead of waiting for a different brand to come along making something comparable, and yes I've heard of OPPO's superior CS reputation.
It's just that no one can predict three years down the road if they will even be operating with parts inventory and service repair techs on a payroll, unless somebody here knows some inside scoop.

Thank you!
That's more or less my reasoning behind why I pulled the trigger on buying the unit ... instead of waiting for a different brand to come along making something comparable, and yes I've heard of OPPO's superior CS reputation.
It's just that no one can predict three years down the road if they will even be operating with parts inventory and service repair techs on a payroll, unless somebody here knows some inside scoop.

I didn't spring for the extended warranty, as I'm just putting faith in Oppo (based on past purchases) that nothing will ever go wrong with it!

FWIW: while I was mulling whether to pull the trigger on the 205, I emailed customer service to see if by any chance they'd found a previously undiscovered stash of 203s (the model I originally wanted--but I got skunked on that one) in a closet or a warehouse somewhere.

Their answer: no--and if, in the future, they happened upon any refurbished units floating around, they would be retaining them to use for parts (for future repairs).

I didn't spring for the extended warranty, as I'm just putting faith in Oppo (based on past purchases) that nothing will ever go wrong with it!

FWIW: while I was mulling whether to pull the trigger on the 205, I emailed customer service to see if by any chance they'd found a previously undiscovered stash of 203s (the model I originally wanted--but I got skunked on that one) in a closet or a warehouse somewhere.

Their answer: no--and if, in the future, they happened upon any refurbished units floating around, they would be retaining them to use for parts (for future repairs).

Ok, so if any one thing absolutely HAS to ever fail on one of these players, let it be sooner than later ~ before they run out of replacement parts.

I wouldn't waste my money on an extended warranty, even less so in the case , given their already good reliability and existing warranty.

Thank you!

The reality is that no manufacturer that is operating right now can tell you they will be in business next year..let alone 3 years from now...and the latest "hope" to replace an Oppo is a Pioneer...which isn't the same Pioneer that made those awesome Plasma TVs....it's just a "name" now...they aren't anything like the electronics company they once were...they've sold off the TV end of the business and the audio is gone too...it's now Onkyo…..it's not that Onkyo is a bad company...it just never had the prestige of Pioneer when the company was at it's peak....at least Pioneer stopped selling the Elite series blu ray players that were actually made by Sharp...I had the misfortune on owning one of them...

This exactly what is going to happen, and is happening now. They’re running the operation with a very small crew. This is why they had to trickle out email notifications to people who were on the latest 205 list. They only had enough employees to ship so many players each day. :)

Is there anyone who got on the list but failed to get offered a unit due to a total sellout of the 205s?

It just looks like Oppo had a really wonderful run on the 205 machine with sales surpassing other previous units. It's great for them to go out with a bang, and it's unusual as well.

All I can say is ... if you were ever definitely on the waiting list, don't give up hope, at least not until you hear OPPO make an announcement that there absolutely will be no more built or shipped, and that hasn't happened yet.

For a good little while now, they've had a message saying they were no longer adding names to their waiting list, so if your name was added at some point, you still stand a chance of getting a UDP-205.

Delivery confirmation update, ... my brand new OPPO UDP-205 has finally arrived, double boxed with oem 19" rack mount kit included.

I've begun shopping for a modest sized, but still high quality 4K monitor to connect to it, and don't know when I'll get a chance to set this player up.

I hate it that I missed the boat on the 203-205 players. Guess I was asleep at the wheel for a while as I was recovering from surgery + nursing some nasty burns. C'est la vie .
I just paid what to me is a small fortune for a 103 that, while it has other interesting features, won't play SACD-R's or 4K BD.
My OPPO HD941 has died, My Sammy HD841 is analog+DVI, but so far my BDP-80 is still kicking and has been my daily driver for years now. (plays SACD-R!) Well actually it's duties are now split with the BDP-103.
Having griped, Let me just say I'm still very happy I have two working OPPO's, regardless of individual capabilities.

I've been on vacation in the UK for the past couple of weeks, and it's still startling to see Oppo's name plastered courtside at Wimbledon or on the skirts of the football pitch at the Women's World Cup--and to stumble upon full-page ads for Oppo in the newspapers. Of course it's all about their mobile phones, which aren't sold in the States...

Last edited:
I've been vacation in the UK for the past couple of weeks, and it's still startling to see Oppo's name plastered courtside at Wimbledon or on the skirts of the football pitch at the Women's World Cup--and to stumble upon full-page ads for Oppo in the newspapers. Of course it's all about their mobile phones, which aren't sold in the States...
Thanks for the timely update on Oppo Cell Phones

How dare you miss our earthquakes! 😆

I hope all you SoCal QQers are safe and sound. But I'm happy to trade California earthquakes for cask beer, malt whisky, and tramping around the Scottish Borders and Inner Hebrides. And while there's a political circus going on over here at the moment, earthquakes aren't the only early July stateside spectacle I'm glad to have missed...

I hope all you SoCal QQers are safe and sound. But I'm happy to trade California earthquakes for cask beer, malt whisky, and tramping around the Scottish Borders and Inner Hebrides. And while there's a political circus going on over here at the moment, earthquakes aren't the only early July stateside spectacle I'm glad to have missed...

Scotland is awesome! Will you stay long enough to catch the Edinburgh Festival? Not to be missed!

Back