Oppo FLAC file playback question.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update as to what's happening. A friend gave me some test files. MP3, WAV from a CD, 4.0 FLAC in 48, 96 and 192. The only one it sees is the MP3. Not the WAV or any of the FLAC.

I reformatted the USB stick so that it was totally blank/new. I downloaded those files directly to a hard drive, not using any cloud storage. No unzipping needed. (I'm using a Chromebook.)

Unit was reset to factory specs already and I connected it on line to update the firmware. (Unless, Oppo doesn't actually do that anymore. The unit, after connecting, showed it was up to date. )

Anyone know a way to contact Oppo or expert for an older unit like mine? Again, it's the BDP-93.

Thanks for all your help!

(You know, this group is pretty awesome. You guys are so helpful and patient. But you already likely know that. 🙂 So glad I found this site.)
Can you play the files from the Chromebook disc drive via your network?
Edit: So sharing the drive on your network and getting the Oppo to stream via the network.

Can you play the files from the Chromebook disc drive via your network?
Edit: So sharing the drive on your network and getting the Oppo to stream via the network.
It should be able to do that also. On my 205, it definitely helps to see files on a network if you’ve added the files to Windows Media Player in a playlist. Seems either firewalls or needing to have correct sharing set up is a factor. But I’m not much on that network stuff...

I've also got a BDP-93 and tried a selection of files on a USB Drive (front USB) to see what shows up and what plays. Everything that I could see on the Oppo screen played just fine in multi channel.
You can see the difference between what's in windows explorer compared to whats in the Oppo. The firmware I have might be old as I haven't upgraded it since adding a multi region kit back in 2011.

Attachments

• IMG_4226.JPG
    IMG_4226.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4227.JPG
    IMG_4227.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4228.JPG
    IMG_4228.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4229.JPG
    IMG_4229.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 99
  • USB Drive.png
    USB Drive.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 98
I've also got a BDP-93 and tried a selection of files on a USB Drive (front USB) to see what shows up and what plays. Everything that I could see on the Oppo screen played just fine in multi channel.
You can see the difference between what's in windows explorer compared to whats in the Oppo. The firmware I have might be old as I haven't upgraded it since adding a multi region kit back in 2011.
Very good reply. And welcome to QQ!

[
Wow. This is really helpful!! I'm going to take a close look to compare what you have vs what mine is showing when I get home. THANKS!!!

Last edited:
Yes indeed -welcome home to the QQ @krysfergie !!! :hi
Great to have verification from an actual 93 owner with those kinds of files.

I forget, is the Persistent Storage menu under "Device Setup" just for the unit's own on-board memory, or are there some settings that involve USBs drives?

Ah HA! So the unit lied to me. Your photo shows a different firmware than mine, even though, when I go online to update it, it says it's up to date.
Mine is showing BDP83-60-1110.
So I went to their website, found the upgrade information, put it on a USN stick, followed the instructions EXACTLY how to manually upgrade the firmware and....
"Cannot find a valid firmware upgrade." S%!T
That's when I released something. I own the BDP-83, not the 93. And, upon further review, it doesn't support FLAC:mad:
I'm such a dumb ass. I have no idea why I thought it was the 93. Fat fingers when typing a while back? Who knows? But I even downloaded the 93 instruction manual. (No wonder it's a little different from the one that came with the unit.)

I just want to say thank you to EVERYONE that tried to help me in this mess I created for myself and I apologize for being such a dope. :sick:
I guess I'll just stick to my BluRay, DVD and SACDs that I'm starting to accumulate. They sound amazing and I love the separation compared to my QS, SQ and CD-4 albums.

Ah HA! So the unit lied to me. Your photo shows a different firmware than mine, even though, when I go online to update it, it says it's up to date.
So I went to their website, found the upgrade information, put it on a USN stick, followed the instructions EXACTLY how to manually upgrade the firmware and....
That's when I released something. I own the BDP-83, not the 93. And, upon further review, it doesn't support FLAC:mad:
I'm such a dumb ass. I have no idea why I thought it was the 93. Fat fingers when typing a while back? Who knows? But I even downloaded the 93 instruction manual. (No wonder it's a little different from the one that came with the unit.)

I just want to say thank you to EVERYONE that tried to help me in this mess I created for myself and I apologize for being such a dope. :sick:
I guess I'll just stick to my BluRay, DVD and SACDs that I'm starting to accumulate. They sound amazing and I love the separation compared to my QS, SQ and CD-4 albums.
No sweat man, at least now we know.

You could also, think about an upgrade to an BDP-103 or 105...

Sheesh Boo Boo... this stuff happens to the best of us.
Oppo's sometimes handle disc vs USB audio files differently. Take a look & see if it plays FLAC from disc. If so get a little USB disc burner for your Chromebook & your back in bidness. Might be useful to get an out board burner anyway.

Yes indeed -welcome home to the QQ @krysfergie !!! :hi
Great to have verification from an actual 93 owner with those kinds of files.

I forget, is the Persistent Storage menu under "Device Setup" just for the unit's own on-board memory, or are there some settings that involve USBs drives?

Thanks. Yes the 'device info' file is just the setup file for the USB drive.
Chris.

Back