Oppo player main upgrades / changes - brief summary

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

van1

These are the list of Oppo blu ray and dvd (bold) players im aware of

• DV-970HD
  • DV-980H
  • BDP-83
  • BDP-93
  • BDP-95
  • BDP-103
  • BDP-103D
  • BDP-105
  • BDP-105D
  • BDT-101CI
  • UDP-203
  • UDP-205
Is there a brief summary of key differences, eg for the models / ranges
-When did major picture or sound quality improvements / components take place
-when did flac playback get introduced
-When did 3d playback get introduced (and did it get removed)
-When did sacd ripping get introduced (and did it get removed)
-When did 4k get introduced (20x range?)
-When did netflix and you tube get introduced and removed
-When did hdcd get removed (20x range?)

Apologies if this is done already (imho something like this needs to be a sticky) but im trying to see if im missing anything using my 103 and 83

Last edited:
These are the list of Oppo blu ray and dvd (bold) players im aware of

• DV-970HD
  • DV-980H
  • BDP-83
  • BDP-93
  • BDP-95
  • BDP-103
  • BDP-103D
  • BDP-105
  • BDP-105D
  • BDT-101CI
  • UDP-203
  • UDP-205
Is there a brief summary of key differences, eg for the models / ranges
-When did major picture or sound quality improvements / components take place
-when did flac playback get introduced
-When did 3d playback get introduced (and did it get removed)
-When did sacd ripping get introduced (and did it get removed)
-When did 4k get introduced (20x range?)
-When did netflix and you tube get introduced and removed
-When did hdcd get removed (20x range?)

Apologies if this is done already (imho something like this needs to be a sticky) but im trying to see if im missing anything using my 103 and 83
Good questions & should be stickey. What you are asking defies the word "brief". Oppo continues to provide comprehensive info by model on their website:

https://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx
From another post I learned the history of all my firmware updates to my 105. Woo! Big fun.

Good questions & should be stickey. What you are asking defies the word "brief". Oppo continues to provide comprehensive info by model on their website:

From another post I learned the history of all my firmware updates to my 105. Woo! Big fun.
Brief is the challenge :)
The oppo site still requires you to go into each device page and doesnt provide a comparison.
Wiki has the dates the models were introduced and some high level improvements

BDP-83, Oppo's first universal Blu-Ray player
  • BDP-93, launched 2010, with 3D function and dual HDMI output
  • BDP-95, video section similar to BDP-93, but with audiophile audio section
  • BDP-103, launched 2012, with dual HDMI input
  • BDP-103D, launched 2013, video section similar to BDP-103, with Darbee-Visual-Presence-Technology
  • DBP-101CI, video section similar to BDP-103, without internet option, modular convertible for professional applications
  • BDP-105, video section similar to BDP-103, with audiophile audio section
  • BDP-105D, launched 2013, first Blu-Ray player with Darbee-Visual-Presence-Technology
  • UDP-203, launched 2016, Oppo's first 4K UHD Blu-Ray player, with High-dynamic-range imaging and Dolby-Visioncompatible
  • UDP-205, launched 2017, video section similar to UDP-203, with audiophile audio section

Brief is the challenge :)
The oppo site still requires you to go into each device page and doesnt provide a comparison.
Wiki has the dates the models were introduced and some high level improvements

BDP-83, Oppo's first universal Blu-Ray player
  • BDP-93, launched 2010, with 3D function and dual HDMI output
  • BDP-95, video section similar to BDP-93, but with audiophile audio section
  • BDP-103, launched 2012, with dual HDMI input
  • BDP-103D, launched 2013, video section similar to BDP-103, with Darbee-Visual-Presence-Technology
  • DBP-101CI, video section similar to BDP-103, without internet option, modular convertible for professional applications
  • BDP-105, video section similar to BDP-103, with audiophile audio section
  • BDP-105D, launched 2013, first Blu-Ray player with Darbee-Visual-Presence-Technology
  • UDP-203, launched 2016, Oppo's first 4K UHD Blu-Ray player, with High-dynamic-range imaging and Dolby-Visioncompatible
  • UDP-205, launched 2017, video section similar to UDP-203, with audiophile audio section
Well mate,
Looks like you already have much raw data at your fingertips. Along with humprof's link I look forward to your spread sheet coalessing all this into a future resource!

Does that mean you're a cheap date too :ROFLMAO:

Well mate,
Looks like you already have much raw data at your fingertips. Along with humprof's link I look forward to your spread sheet coalessing all this into a future resource!

This can start him off and if he keeps clicking on the red link on the right side of the page it will take him to the previous Oppo model for a comparison

This can start him off and if he keeps clicking on the red link on the right side of the page it will take him to the previous Oppo model for a comparison

Oooh--that's a brilliant one; I'm glad you found it. Vaguely remembered seeing something like that years ago but like most things, couldn't remember where...

EDIT: somebody oughta archive those pages though (he's got one for the 80, 83, 93, and 103, a/w/a the 203), since they look pretty old-school and haven't been updated in a while.

Last edited:
That’s a lot of great content and I promise to get round to writing the definitive paragraph on differences as soon as I retire... which unfortunately for me is at least 15 years :(

Not looking to give too much away at this point but the definitive paragraph will be written from left to right, will be in English, include punctuation and I’m pretty sure will contain the words ‘oppo’, ‘difference’, ‘the’ and ‘and’ :)

Here's my brief version, @van1--from notes I compiled at some point in the past when I was debating which model to buy. Nowhere near complete; I was just tracking the things I cared about at the time. You'd be doing Oppo owners a great service if you compiled the most salient info from the links above into a spreadsheet!

DV-970/980H: plays SACD, DVD-A, SACD-R, DVD-R. 7.1 analog outs. (Downside: flimsy, noisy.)

BDP-93/95: add ability to play HDCD and Blu-Ray, plus ISO (Bluray, DVD/A, SACD-R) files & BDMV folders (< firmware 64-0119B [Jan. 2012] only; ISO support began with firmware ver. 50-0609, while 61-1219 was the last version that supported it). DAC: Cirrus Logic CS4382A.

BDP-103/105: subtract ability to play DVD and BDA ISO files and (after 50-0323B firmware update) SACD-R. Add: ability to play DSD (via USB), Cinavia (boo!), more powerful CPU and memory, (inadvertent) ability to rip SACDs.

BDP-203/205: subtract ability to rip SACDs and play HDCD. Add ability to play Blu-Ray and 4K Blu-Ray folders with full menus.

Last edited:
Here's my brief version, @van1--from notes I compiled at some point in the past when I was debating which model to buy. Nowhere near complete; I was just tracking the things I cared about at the time. You'd be doing Oppo owners a great service if you compiled the most salient info from the links above into a spreadsheet!

DV-970/980H: plays SACD, DVD-A, SACD-R, DVD-R. 7.1 analog outs. (Downside: flimsy, noisy.)

BDP-93/95: add ability to play HDCD and Blu-Ray, plus ISO (Bluray, DVD/A, SACD-R) files & BDMV folders (< firmware 64-0119B [Jan. 2012] only; ISO support began with firmware ver. 50-0609, while 61-1219 was the last version that supported it). DAC: Cirrus Logic CS4382A.

BDP-103/105: subtract ability to play DVD and BDA ISO files and (after 50-0323B firmware update) SACD-R. Add: ability to play DSD (via USB), Cinavia (boo!), more powerful CPU and memory, (inadvertent) ability to rip SACDs.

BDP-203/205: subtract ability to rip SACDs and play HDCD. Add ability to play Blu-Ray and 4K Blu-Ray folders with full menus.
Congrats, your response is brief and ‘fulsome’. I doubt i have the time to go and do a full comparison but what you have ticks most of my boxes. I just need to understand where the 83 fits in ‘add ability to play HDCD and Blu-Ray’
...what models play flac and
which ones are universal. I know on the 83 it will play all dvds and you can hold down the blue button on the remote to change blu ray regions, nut the 103 is region locked for blu rays and dvds, not sure about the 9x series.

I guess its true that Oppo can do everything, except that you need more than one model to do everything.

The 83 is my ‘go to’ in the spare room as it will play all my discs from all regions.
The 103 is in the main room as it is hooked up for netflix and youtube, can play flac files on usb (and has the capability to rip my sacds, even though i havent considered trying it) - just a shames its region locked.
Both allow me to plug headphones in to the fl and fr speaker plugs and get a decent sound (something the 980H doesnt do as it has very muted volume, even on full)
I cant see me ever needing / affording the 4k capability of the 20x series, which will also save me a tonne of money to not have to rebuy my fave movies again on 4k discs after already getting dvd and blu rays

Well I did not read every post, but what happened to the BDP-80 universal player??
I know it exists, because I have one. Yes it is also a blu ray player as noted by the BDP designation by Oppo.
While not quite as versatile as some players, it will play SACD-R. Handy if you like to backup your SACD's to disc.
There is also a user thread on the AVS forum....or at least there used to be, haven't visited it in years.

EDIT: Unofficial OPPO BDP-80 Frequently Asked Questions
http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-80

Well I did not read every post, but what happened to the BDP-80 universal player??
I know it exists, because I have one. Yes it is also a blu ray player as noted by the BDP designation by Oppo.
While not quite as versatile as some players, it will play SACD-R. Handy if you like to backup your SACD's to disc.
There is also a user thread on the AVS forum....or at least there used to be, haven't visited it in years.

EDIT: Unofficial OPPO BDP-80 Frequently Asked Questions
http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-80
And you can also find the official notes on Opp website:

And you can also find the official notes on Opp website:
I was just checking this out and noticed the 95 has twice the internal memory as the 103, but doesn’t do 4K. But with a quick check on eBay looks like the 95s sell for ~$700-900 range which is at least and maybe twice than the 103, so what’s up with that? I need more research as I could use an upgrade to my old Denon on my Quad system. I was thinking the older 95 would be less 😱

Back