Oppo player main upgrades / changes - brief summary

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, your response is brief and ‘fulsome’. I doubt i have the time to go and do a full comparison but what you have ticks most of my boxes. I just need to understand where the 83 fits in ‘add ability to play HDCD and Blu-Ray’
...what models play flac and
which ones are universal. I know on the 83 it will play all dvds and you can hold down the blue button on the remote to change blu ray regions, nut the 103 is region locked for blu rays and dvds, not sure about the 9x series.

I guess its true that Oppo can do everything, except that you need more than one model to do everything.

The 83 is my ‘go to’ in the spare room as it will play all my discs from all regions.
The 103 is in the main room as it is hooked up for netflix and youtube, can play flac files on usb (and has the capability to rip my sacds, even though i havent considered trying it) - just a shames its region locked.
Both allow me to plug headphones in to the fl and fr speaker plugs and get a decent sound (something the 980H doesnt do as it has very muted volume, even on full)
I cant see me ever needing / affording the 4k capability of the 20x series, which will also save me a tonne of money to not have to rebuy my fave movies again on 4k discs after already getting dvd and blu rays

You can unlock the blu rays and DVDs....to get one that just does DVDs it's only in the $20 range....this seller is very reliable

[
I was just checking this out and noticed the 95 has twice the internal memory as the 103, but doesn’t do 4K.

Maybe I misunderstand the context, but the 103 doesn't do 4K either.

I could use an upgrade to my old Denon on my Quad system. I was thinking the older 95 would be less.
Your Denon is in your PC/Quad room & your 205 is the main/family viewing area, right? It sounds like a good set up. What is the Denon lacking that makes you want to upgrade?

This thread has certainly been educational for me as well. At the least I didn't know Oppo made so many different models over the years. And quality leading edge items for each stage of tech development. I never looked at thing like memory in various BDP models. Now you've given me something else to obsess over today.

Congrats, your response is brief and ‘fulsome’. I doubt i have the time to go and do a full comparison but what you have ticks most of my boxes. I just need to understand where the 83 fits in ‘add ability to play HDCD and Blu-Ray’
...what models play flac and
which ones are universal. I know on the 83 it will play all dvds and you can hold down the blue button on the remote to change blu ray regions, nut the 103 is region locked for blu rays and dvds, not sure about the 9x series.

I guess its true that Oppo can do everything, except that you need more than one model to do everything.

The 83 is my ‘go to’ in the spare room as it will play all my discs from all regions.
The 103 is in the main room as it is hooked up for netflix and youtube, can play flac files on usb (and has the capability to rip my sacds, even though i havent considered trying it) - just a shames its region locked.
Both allow me to plug headphones in to the fl and fr speaker plugs and get a decent sound (something the 980H doesnt do as it has very muted volume, even on full)
I cant see me ever needing / affording the 4k capability of the 20x series, which will also save me a tonne of money to not have to rebuy my fave movies again on 4k discs after already getting dvd and blu rays
The external or internal multi zone/multi region plug in hardware mod for the BDP 103 is still available from JVB Digital if you want to have that feature on your 103. I just got one for my BDP 93 and it works perfectly.

[

Maybe I misunderstand the context, but the 103 doesn't do 4K either.

Your Denon is in your PC/Quad room & your 205 is the main/family viewing area, right? It sounds like a good set up. What is the Denon lacking that makes you want to upgrade?

This thread has certainly been educational for me as well. At the least I didn't know Oppo made so many different models over the years. And quality leading edge items for each stage of tech development. I never looked at thing like memory in various BDP models. Now you've given me something else to obsess over today.

I must be reading it wrong, the specs say.4Kx2K is that an up sample maybe?

My Denon DVD-3910 is a great old player, but the tray is getting finicky (wants to close at weird times) and it doesn’t do wav, flac etc. also doesn’t have USB for my SSDs.

I must be reading it wrong, the specs say.4Kx2K is that an up sample maybe?

My Denon DVD-3910 is a great old player, but the tray is getting finicky (wants to close at weird times) and it doesn’t do wav, flac etc. also doesn’t have USB for my SSDs.

The BDP-103 represents a marked evolution in OPPO's design and engineering. New to this model are exciting features such as 4k video up-scaling, 2D to 3D conversion, dual HDMI inputs and MHL compatibility. A dual-core System-on-Chip processor delivers quick startup and fast disc loading speed. With improved network streaming applications and an enriched media playback interface, the BDP-103 is a versatile player that delivers quality picture and premium sound.
Features: 4K Upscaling, DLNA Certified, 3D Ready
Supported Services: YouTube, Vudu, Netflix, Pandora
Type: Blu-ray

The BDP-103 represents a marked evolution in OPPO's design and engineering. New to this model are exciting features such as 4k video up-scaling, 2D to 3D conversion, dual HDMI inputs and MHL compatibility. A dual-core System-on-Chip processor delivers quick startup and fast disc loading speed. With improved network streaming applications and an enriched media playback interface, the BDP-103 is a versatile player that delivers quality picture and premium sound.
Features: 4K Upscaling, DLNA Certified, 3D Ready
Supported Services: YouTube, Vudu, Netflix, Pandora
Type: Blu-ray
So are the 95s selling for as much or more than the 103s and if so, why?

So are the 95s selling for as much or more than the 103s and if so, why?
Well 1st off looking it appears the 95 listed for $999 & the 103 for $499. The last digit in a model number signifies whether a player is the standard version or upgraded (mainly analog audio) model. The 3's are standrd & the 5's are the upgraded models. But you probaly already knew that.

From Sound and Vision:
The BDP-95's analog audio section boasts an ESS Sabre32 (ES9018) Reference DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for the 7.1-channel analog output and a second ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC for the stereo output, along with a Rotel-made toroidal transformer and higher-grade op-amps that measurably improve its analog performance.

Reading through the 103 manual I see nothing notable about the audio performance but elsewhere I see the 103 has a Cirrus Logic 24/192 DAC. So it's 103 24 bit vs 95 32 bit. It's debatable if that alone makes an audible improvement but I do think it explains why 95's are going so high on the resale: more advanced 'tronics & higher initial list price.

Well 1st off looking it appears the 95 listed for $999 & the 103 for $499. The last digit in a model number signifies whether a player is the standard version or upgraded (mainly analog audio) model. The 3's are standrd & the 5's are the upgraded models. But you probaly already knew that.

From Sound and Vision:

Reading through the 103 manual I see nothing notable about the audio performance but elsewhere I see the 103 has a Cirrus Logic 24/192 DAC. So it's 103 24 bit vs 95 32 bit. It's debatable if that alone makes an audible improvement but I do think it explains why 95's are going so high on the resale: more advanced 'tronics & higher initial list price.

The feature that I couldn't give up on my 103 is the HDMI input for my PCs and streaming devices, no matter how much better a 95 would sound, and the main upgrade in sound is stereo outs.

I was very fortunate to recently to pick up a mint BDP 93 Nuforce Extreme Edition that has the internal hardware multi region/multi zone mod installed and two remotes for $425. Whoo what a great deal. The audio thru the analog outs is great. According to the reviews equal to or better than the BDP 95 at least for multi channel sources.

If DVD multi region is sufficient for you then a hardware mod is not required. You just blow the Oppo SuperDisc to a CD, stick it in the tray, it makes your machine region 0 and spits the disc out. I used to have a multi zone/region mod in my 95 but found I don't need it. I don't know if this works for the 203/205 but it definitely works for anything older.

Most US Blu Rays are all zones, and UK ones are either that or Zone 2 so with a Zone 2 player I'm good. And Blu Rays are often the same throughout the world anyway, the days of having to import a Region 1 or Region 4 DVD because the UK release is non anamorphic or has cuts in the film or to get DTS etc. appear to be behind us with Blu Ray.

If DVD multi region is sufficient for you then a hardware mod is not required. You just blow the Oppo SuperDisc to a CD, stick it in the tray, it makes your machine region 0 and spits the disc out. I used to have a multi zone/region mod in my 95 but found I don't need it. I don't know if this works for the 203/205 but it definitely works for anything older.

Most US Blu Rays are all zones, and UK ones are either that or Zone 2 so with a Zone 2 player I'm good. And Blu Rays are often the same throughout the world anyway, the days of having to import a Region 1 or Region 4 DVD because the UK release is non anamorphic or has cuts in the film or to get DTS etc. appear to be behind us with Blu Ray.
I don't know if your the OP of the Oppo super disc hack but I found it on QQ several months ago & it works great, bug free & zero $$. I watch quite a bit of anime, J/K movies & on Blu-Ray of course there's no conflict. I have a substaial cllection of Asian DVD's & in the past I would have to decrypt & rip & either play from my PC or burn another disc. This works slick much easier. My neighbors are older 1st gen German & occasionally they ask me to copy a disc they've purchased. So I've had the chance to test PAL DVD's & it works on them as well. Oppo 105.

Last edited:
I don't know if your the OP of the Oppo super disc hack but I found it on QQ several months ago & it works great, bug free & zero $$. I watch quite a bit of anime, J/K movies & on Blu-Ray of course there's no conflict. I have a substaial cllection of Asian DVD's & in the past I would have to decrypt & rip & either play from my PC or burn another disc. This works slick much easier. My neighbors are older 1st gen German & occasionally they ask me to copy a disc they've purchased. So I've had the chance to test PAL DVD's & it works on them as well. Oppo 105.

I'll second what both of you said. And as I recall, Oppo Australia even used to post the SuperDisc mod on their website. Maybe still does? (Oppo USA couldn't, I think, because US law was different.)

I'll second what both of you said. And as I recall, Oppo Australia even used to post the SuperDisc mod on their website. Maybe still does? (Oppo USA couldn't, I think, because US law was different.)

Oppo Australia still have it on their web site, BUT that one didn't work on my parents' 93. The one I posted a link to does.

Thanks ‘Owen Smith’ and ‘humprof’. Im in Australia and was able to download both files, but im too technically challenged to be able to burn the iso files with a mac ( i dont even see a .iso file), so i will have to purchase a disc

Thanks ‘Owen Smith’ and ‘humprof’. Im in Australia and was able to download both files, but im too technically challenged to be able to burn the iso files with a mac ( i dont even see a .iso file), so i will have to purchase a disc

As I recall, you can also install it from a USB ("thumb") drive.

As I recall, you can also install it from a USB ("thumb") drive.

I suspect you'd have to unpack the files from inside the .iso to do that. I doubt putting the .iso itself on the USB drive would do anything. Anyway I checked the instructions for the one I posted and it says nothing about USB.

Back