oppo udp 203 - problems playing some 4K blu rays

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Playback quality is great. So far I have found the biggest advantage being high dynamic range and wide colour gamut (some 4k discs are 2k upscaled). But there are some stunning 4k discs out there. Lawrence of Arabia and Flash Gordon for example.
Thanks - that’s great to hear!

My small collection contains only true 4K titles. Here’s what I’ve purchased so far:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Alien
Apocalypse Now
Black Hawk Down
Dunkirk
Ex Machina
Jaws
John Wick 3
Overlord
The Revenant
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

Thanks - that’s great to hear!

My small collection contains only true 4K titles. Here’s what I’ve purchased so far:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Alien
Apocalypse Now
Black Hawk Down
Dunkirk
The Revenant
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
The ones above are in mine.

overall, my experience so far (I have only had a 4k tv since December last year) is that it is still worth getting a movie you like in upscaled 4K . So far only 'Baby Driver' does not seem to be a big improvement over the blu ray version.

The playback picture quality via my projector onto a 150 inch screen is fantastic. We were watching the BBC 4K UHD Seven Worlds, One Planet last night and it was hard not to just sit there and marvel at the picture quality, instead of following the documentary. It also uprezzes 2K discs very nicely. Of course, projectors don't do Dolby Vision or HDR very well, so I wouldn't be able to say what the result would be on a flat panel. But probably awesome. The Oppos are amazing machines.

I'm curious about the black levels on your projector...would you say they are as good as an OLED panel?...that's the first thing I noticed about projectors from the past....they just didn't reach the levels I would like.....I haven't viewed the newer models

I'm curious about the black levels on your projector...would you say they are as good as an OLED panel?...that's the first thing I noticed about projectors from the past....they just didn't reach the levels I would like.....I haven't viewed the newer models
Not in the slightest. Projectors can never project pure black, by switching off individual pixels, as OLED panels are able to do. I have a three year old, cheap, Optoma UHD 60 4K projector. The picture quality is exceptionally good, considering that it only costs about one tenth of what a JVC NX9 goes for. OLED panels are far superior than projectors at high dynamic range and brightness. But the trade-off is size. It makes a whopping difference with a 150 inch screen. Laser projectors are the best but at $48 000 retail for the JVC DLA-Z1, it's too expensive for me, even if I sold a kidney. It's also too large and too noisy for most living rooms - you need a dedicated projection room for that beast.

An 'update'.

I have been playing all my UHD discs in the Panasonic with no problems. Today I played 'Paint your wagon' (Kino Lorber) in the panasonic and it had problems around the 59-60 minute mark. I played the disc in the Oppo and it played flawlessly.

It's handy having two UHD players.

Can anyone recommend a third player :p

Back