oppo udp 203 - problems playing some 4K blu rays

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott65

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have had an Oppo udp 203 since April 2018. Last month I acquired a 4K tv and have started watching 4K movies. This week I have encountered two 4K discs that the Oppo struggles with:

1. Gandhi - disc 1 freezes around the 7 minute mark and will not continue playing. disc 2 plays but the screen goes blank for about a second (with audio ok) every 15 seconds or so.

2. IMAX Enhanced Space Station - the disc freezes around the 27 minute mark.

I also have a Panasonic DP-UB820 and it plays those discs without any issues.

My oppo has the latest firmware and plays other 4K discs (so far!) without any problem. It also plays all blu-rays, DVDs, SACD, DVD-A and cds without any issues.

I presume it may be something that a firmware update would fix, but i don't think we will be getting one.

Has anybody encountered this problem with these discs or any other discs?

I have had an Oppo udp 203 since April 2018. Last month I acquired a 4K tv and have started watching 4K movies. This week I have encountered two 4K discs that the Oppo struggles with:

1. Gandhi - disc 1 freezes around the 7 minute mark and will not continue playing. disc 2 plays but the screen goes blank for about a second (with audio ok) every 15 seconds or so.

My oppo has the latest firmware and plays other 4K discs (so far!) without any problem. It also plays all blu-rays, DVDs, SACD, DVD-A and cds without any issues.

I presume it may be something that a firmware update would fix, but i don't think we will be getting one.

I have the OPPO 205 with all the latest firmware updates and the only 4K disc it refused to play was Spike Lee's BlackkKlansman Image result for blackkklansman 2018

My region-free Oppo 203 quite often goes bananas, when I boot it up, after changing a region for a blu-ray, or changing between blu-rays and 4K discs. I haven't really identified a pattern yet. The screen flashes pink and black until I switch it off and boot it up again. Then it normally behaves itself and loads the menu on the disc correctly. If I just play 4K discs, or stick to the same region blu-ray, it doesn't have a nervous breakdown.

My region-free Oppo 203 quite often goes bananas, when I boot it up, after changing a region for a blu-ray, or changing between blu-rays and 4K discs. I haven't really identified a pattern yet. The screen flashes pink and black until I switch it off and boot it up again. Then it normally behaves itself and loads the menu on the disc correctly. If I just play 4K discs, or stick to the same region blu-ray, it doesn't have a nervous breakdown.
my problem would appear to be disc related in that the player has issues trying to play the discs in question. In contrast my Panasonic player plays said discs flawlessly.

anyway...for the next 12 months (warranty period) the Panasonic is going to be my UHD and blu ray player. the oppo will be used for DVDA and SACD only.

Also, I found Oppo Tech Support here in the States to be extremely responsive at attempting to resolve issues by email.
Same here in Australia. I received a response today suggesting I do a factory reset and check for new firmware. Unfortunately it has not fixed the problem so I will contact Oppo again.

I have a DVD (regular video) of the great sci fi movie "Forbidden Planet" the DVD has a glitch in it and freezes at a
particular spot. This has happened both on multiple DVD and one Blue Ray players. It is a problem in the mastering or replicating. The disc is physically perfect. It can be played without interruption on a computer , which suggests some kind of data error, that the computers' multiple reads and error correction is able to grunt through. I don''t know how the latter compares to whatever is present on standalone players of various vintages.

Considering how really really microscopic the data is , it's a wonder we don't have more headaches with this sort of thing. (CDs too imo)

I have Forbidden Planet on an HD DVD. It looks wonderful and there are many extras. This is one of the HD DVDs that has not gone bad.
Recently my bluray of the Sci Fi move Live die repeat is developing glitches on my Oppo and I have to fast forward it when I can.

I fear many blurays are going to become unplayable in the near future and there will be class action lawsuits against the manufacturers.

Since 4K movies are manufactured on the same kind of discs will they develop this issue too?

I have a DVD (regular video) of the great sci fi movie "Forbidden Planet" the DVD has a glitch in it and freezes at a
particular spot. This has happened both on multiple DVD and one Blue Ray players. It is a problem in the mastering or replicating. The disc is physically perfect. It can be played without interruption on a computer , which suggests some kind of data error, that the computers' multiple reads and error correction is able to grunt through. I don''t know how the latter compares to whatever is present on standalone players of various vintages.

Considering how really really microscopic the data is , it's a wonder we don't have more headaches with this sort of thing. (CDs too imo)

I have a Blu-Ray of Forbidden Planet & it's played glitch free on my current Oppo & previous Panasonic. Excellent picture quality & pretty scary in HD. I saw the movie 1st run as a kid and that movie, along with 7th Voyage of Sinbad, had a huge impact on me. Glad to hear you enjoy FP like me, Gene.

Noted issues aside, what do you think of the UDP-203’s 4K playback picture quality? I’ve been slowly building a small 4K library in anticipation of the day (soon) when I make the 4K TV/display leap with my 203.

Noted issues aside, what do you think of the UDP-203’s 4K playback picture quality? I’ve been slowly building a small 4K library in anticipation of the day (soon) when I make the 4K TV/display leap with my 203.
The playback picture quality via my projector onto a 150 inch screen is fantastic. We were watching the BBC 4K UHD Seven Worlds, One Planet last night and it was hard not to just sit there and marvel at the picture quality, instead of following the documentary. It also uprezzes 2K discs very nicely. Of course, projectors don't do Dolby Vision or HDR very well, so I wouldn't be able to say what the result would be on a flat panel. But probably awesome. The Oppos are amazing machines.

Last edited:
Playback quality is great. So far I have found the biggest advantage being high dynamic range and wide colour gamut (some 4k discs are 2k upscaled). But there are some stunning 4k discs out there. Lawrence of Arabia and Flash Gordon for example.

The playback picture quality via my projector onto a 150 inch screen is fantastic. We were watching the BBC 4K UHD Seven Worlds, One Planet last night and it was hard not to just sit there and marvel at the picture quality, instead of following the documentary. It also uprezzes 2K discs very nicely. Of course, projectors don't do Dolby Vision or HDR very well, so I wouldn't be able to say what the result would be on a flat panel. But probably awesome. The Oppos are amazing machines.
Seven Worlds, one planet is amazing in 4k.

Back