Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In another thread, I mentioned that I cannot get my Oppo 205 to recognize photos tagged to WAV or DSF files when played back via USB. Pupster replied that as long as the file is labeled "folder.jpg" the machine will recognize it and display the photo. Does this mean that the file must say exactly "folder.jpg"? Or can it be something like "doors.jpg" or "grassroots.jpg", etc? I've tried the latter convention and it hasn't worked for me. Any advice? Thank you.
I believe it has to be folder.jpg exactly for it to be recognized.

In another thread, I mentioned that I cannot get my Oppo 205 to recognize photos tagged to WAV or DSF files when played back via USB. Pupster replied that as long as the file is labeled "folder.jpg" the machine will recognize it and display the photo. Does this mean that the file must say exactly "folder.jpg"? Or can it be something like "doors.jpg" or "grassroots.jpg", etc? I've tried the latter convention and it hasn't worked for me. Any advice? Thank you.
folder

I believe it has to be folder.jpg exactly for it to be recognized.

It did not work for me. I named the picture "folder.jpg"

folder.jpg.png

The tagging program, mp3tag is seeing the photo:

mp3tag.png

Yet no picture appearing on the display from the Oppo:

display.jpg

Could it be an issue with the tagging program? What program are you fellows using to tag your dsf files?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

View attachment 40508

View attachment 40509

View attachment 40510

Could it be an issue with the tagging program? What program are you fellows using to tag your dsf files?

I don't use a tagging program. I just put the folder.jpg file in the same directory. I will check it at home again to make sure it works with dsf files, though I am pretty sure it does.

View attachment 40508

View attachment 40509

View attachment 40510

Iā€™m using mp3tag now also, make sure the folder.jpg is in each folder with the music. Also I believe you have to select all the music files in the folder and either save or chose update in the menus before it takes effect! Or it could be a right click on the photo and select update... Sorry Iā€™m not where I can see the program right now.

Last edited:
Iā€™m using mp3tag now also, make sure the folder.jpg is in each folder with the music. Also I believe you have to select all the music files in the folder and either save or chose update in the menus before it takes effect! Or it could be a right click on the photo and select update... Sorry Iā€™m not where I can see the program right now.

I don't use a tagging program. I just put the folder.jpg file in the same directory. I will check it at home again to make sure it works with dsf files, though I am pretty sure it does.

Yes, putting the folder.jpg in the directory with the music did the trick! Thanks Pupster and bluelightning.

I need a bit of advice folks: It seems that my Lexicon processor is saying "the long goodbye." It acts up occasionally and decides to wipe all settings by giving me the message "Cleaning," and then returns everything to default. So I may be looking for a new processor sooner than later.

So regarding the OPPO 205, I am currently playing virtually all of my 5.1 music using the USB ports through the machine's multi-channel DAC. Does anyone know for certain if the 205 will output multi-channel from the USB ports via HDMI? I know that the unit will output stereo via coax and optical, but I have no way of checking what comes out of the HDMI port.

I need a bit of advice folks: It seems that my Lexicon processor is saying "the long goodbye." It acts up occasionally and decides to wipe all settings by giving me the message "Cleaning," and then returns everything to default. So I may be looking for a new processor sooner than later.

So regarding the OPPO 205, I am currently playing virtually all of my 5.1 music using the USB ports through the machine's multi-channel DAC. Does anyone know for certain if the 205 will output multi-channel from the USB ports via HDMI? I know that the unit will output stereo via coax and optical, but I have no way of checking what comes out of the HDMI port.
Yes it will

Let us know what direction you go. I am looking to upgrade my pre/pro as well.

@LuvMyQuad ,

At this moment, I'm hesitant to dive into a new processor/AVR...especially with what seems to be the inability of vendors' service reps to solve problems with their equipment. Should my Lexicon's memory issue become too much of a hassle, my interim solution is to output directly from the Oppo 205 into a 7 channel power amp. The volume control on the Oppo 205 is very flexible and has a maximum setting so that I don't blow up my speakers. And I can use the HDMI ARC Return on the Oppo to decode surround while streaming via the TV. Unfortunately any enhancement of stereo to surround, such as the Surround Master, would have to be put on the back burner.

The Oppo 205 is a rock solid piece of equipment, but I'm concerned that today's AVR's are throw-away electronics.

@LuvMyQuad ,
...Unfortunately any enhancement of stereo to surround, such as the Surround Master, would have to be put on the back burner...

The 10X players offered DTS Neo:6 upmixing in both Music and Movie mode. Does the 20X series not?

I just checked. The Oppo 205 does have DTS Neo:6 upmixing. This Oppo 205, while already great to begin with, is looking even better. Although I prefer Logic7 or Involve, having this feature would hold me over until I came up with a processor that wets my whistle.

Back