Oppo's Free Dolby Vision Upgrade for UDP-203 & UDP-205 Universal Disc Players

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Oppo has released the Dolby Vision Upgrade for their 203 and 205 Universal Disc Players.
Available either via the Internet connection on the player. Or as a download from the Oppo web site.

"OPPO Adds Dolby Vision Support to Ultra HD Blu-ray Players
Powerful Cinema Technology Transforms Home Theater Viewing Experience

MENLO PARK, California – June 6, 2017 – OPPO Digital announced that its UDP-203/UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc players can now receive a firmware upgrade that enables the Dolby Vision™ feature. Initially released in December 2016 and April 2017 respectively, the OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 have won numerous awards and have earned enthusiastic reviews from consumer and industry publications for their excellent picture quality. This new firmware makes the OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 the first Blu-ray Disc players to support Dolby Vision, elevating the players to a whole new level of video performance.

Leveraging the HDR innovation that powers Dolby's most advanced cinemas around the world, Dolby Vision transforms the home theater experience by delivering greater brightness and contrast, as well as a fuller palette of rich colors. Dolby's deep expertise in bringing advanced technologies from the cinema to the home has led to distinct features that enable Dolby Vision to deliver extraordinary viewing experiences to home consumers. Dolby Vision is the preferred HDR mastering workflow for major studios and a growing number of creative professionals, so consumers will have access to more of what they want to watch in HDR, including a robust portfolio of movies and episodic content. Dolby today delivers spectacular experiences in broadcast, gaming, music, and other genres, and this expertise serves as the foundation that will enable Dolby Vision to drive the future of entertainment tomorrow.

The OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 support the playback of 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs as well as regular Blu-ray and DVD. Packing a resolution of up to 3840 x 2160 pixels, UHD Blu-ray delivers four times the pixels of regular Blu-ray. Prior to the Dolby Vision upgrade, the UDP-203/205 already supported HDR10 (High Dynamic Range) and Wide Color Gamut. With the addition of Dolby Vision, the players further transform the home theater experience by delivering striking highlights, brilliant colors, and deep darks never before seen on standard television screens.

“The addition of the OPPO Blu-ray player to the Dolby Vision ecosystem is a major milestone that will provide expanded choice and accessibility for consumers,” said Roland Vlaicu, Vice President, Consumer Entertainment Group, Dolby Laboratories. “With Ultra HD Blu-ray, we are able to scale faster to meet the growing demand for Dolby Vision content globally.”

“Delivering reference picture quality and a premium viewing experience has always been the core mission of OPPO’s disc player products. We are thrilled to work with Dolby to incorporate Dolby Vision into our UHD disc players,” said Jason Liao, CTO of OPPO Digital. “The home theater experience is even more lifelike and engaging with the astonishing brightness, contrast, and color provided by Dolby Vision.”

The firmware upgrade that enables Dolby Vision is ready for installation on the OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 models. Customers who already have an Internet connection set up for their players can directly upgrade by answering the player’s prompt on their TV screen, or from the player’s setup menu. Customers who do not connect their players to the Internet can visit OPPO Digital’s web site and download the firmware file or request a firmware CD. The UDP-203 and UDP-205 are also available for purchase at OPPO Digital’s web site and from OPPO’s authorized retailers and custom installers."

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-45-0605.aspx

I read a few months back that many of the studios dropped out for support of HDR10+ and will only support Dolby Vision going forward. Plus, I’m sure you need a tv within the last year model year to view HDR10+. And that’s including the source device.

I read a few months back that many of the studios dropped out for support of HDR10+ and will only support Dolby Vision going forward. Plus, I’m sure you need a tv within the last year model year to view HDR10+. And that’s including the source device.

Any updates is a good thing obviously. Sorry but I don't understand your next point relative to how long HDR10+ technology has been around? The 203,205 IS the source device!

Are they dropping HDR altogether or just its latest implementation HDR10+? From all the UHD 4K reviews I've read on blu~ray.com, HDR seems to be the dominant technology with dolby vision appearing in more and more newer films....and it seems both HDR/Dolby vision, in combination, are the piece de resistance!

Are they dropping HDR altogether or just its latest implementation HDR10+? From all the UHD 4K reviews I've read on blu~ray.com, HDR seems to be the dominant technology with dolby vision appearing in more and more newer films....and it seems both HDR/Dolby vision, in combination, are the piece de resistance!

There are many existing movies with original HDR so I can’t see support being dropped. HDR+ is the latest open source (free) version and Dolby Vision is a licensed technology for Dolby’s version of ‘HDR’. Much like LPCM vs Dolby Digital for audio.

I’m ripping a couple of my latest 4K HDR UHD Blu-rays now but doing full backups first then to MKV just in case Dolby Vision needs to be reconverted in future as its not supported in rip playback just yet.

Hostiles and Hell or High Water - both from Amazon US as never released here in AU on 4K.

Isn't that what they would have said in the mid 80's, as CDs were displacing vinyl? Now we have entire catalogs of turntables. Electronics will only get better and easier to manufacture. I doubt the Oppo is the last word on universal players.

The positive adage "Never Say Never," remains a constant and everything old does somehow become new again but whether the major hardware manufacturers or another OPPO [which seemingly came out of nowhere and quickly gained prestige with its Universal Players] creates new and better players I would think depends on what the software manufacturers have up their sleeves.

We didn't have downloads or streaming back in the 80's, 90's or early 00's and with seemingly everyone [HD Tracks, Tidal, Amazon, Google, Netflix, VuDu, etc] getting in on the act, would it be worthwhile to keep manufacturing 'upgraded' Universal hardware? Which is probably why OPPO ceased manufacturing their players, IMO. Sales had evidently peaked and only when they announced cessation with their UHD 203/205 players did everyone suddenly scramble to add what units they had left to their arsenals.

SONY's statement was their truly Universal X~800 [sans Dolby Vision] which for the first time in their history added DVD~A audio playback but all their subsequent players omitted it and with OPPO still upgrading their 203/205 via a HDR10+ firmware upgrade....just announced, I'd still place my bet that searching out these two models would be THE wiser choice RATHER than waiting for the other major hardware manufacturers to step up to the plate with NEWER and/or BETTER players.

And with UHD 4K titles being released in VERY sparse numbers, the majority of which are up converted 2K....if that's any indication of the future of physical disc media....I really do think we're in for a bumpy ride.

Any updates is a good thing obviously. Sorry but I don't understand your next point relative to how long HDR10+ technology has been around? The 203,205 IS the source device!
I’m generalizing. I don’t see people running out and replacing their disc players and TVs just to have 10+. I certainly won’t. As far as media players, they may or may not get an update. This would depend on the brand and/or their fine with offering Dolby. Or, maybe, they’ll add functionality and to their next line. Like I stated above, let’s see if those movie studios that pulled out for support of HDR10+ have a change of heart.

I was trying to search for current info on HDR10+. It looks like the only movie studio supporting the format is 20th Century Fox.

By the way, the licensing fee for Dolby Vision is minuscule.

Blu~ray.com just did a review of the UHD 4K EVIL DEAD 2 [Lionsgate] and in the movie's specs it did list dolby vision and HDR10

Video
Codec: HEVC / H.265
Resolution: Native 4K (2160p)
HDR: Dolby Vision + HDR10
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Original asp

For full review: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Evil-Dead-2-4K-Blu-ray/218687/#Review

Also, Perp, SONY's UHD 4K Native remaster of Philadelphia: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Philadelphia-4K-Blu-ray/211292/#Review

Video
HDR: HDR10
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

I don't think OPPO would go to the trouble of adding an HDR10+ firmware upgrade to their 203/205 4K players if it wasn't going to be somewhat mainstream in future UHD4K releases.

Last edited:
Blu~ray.com just did a review of the UHD 4K EVIL DEAD 2 [Lionsgate] and in the movie's specs it did list dolby vision and HDR10

Video
Original asp

For full review: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Evil-Dead-2-4K-Blu-ray/218687/#Review

2001 has a big "HDR" on the cover with a teeny weeny "Also Features Dolby Vision" under it. I thought it said "Dolby Audio" until I remembered the audio is DTS-MA, so I took a closer look and the "Vision" is tiny.

2001 has a big "HDR" on the cover with a teeny weeny "Also Features Dolby Vision" under it. I thought it said "Dolby Audio" until I remembered the audio is DTS-MA, so I took a closer look and the "Vision" is tiny.

Tim, the 2001 UHD 4K remaster also has HDR10 [+ dolby vision] https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/2001-A-Space-Odyssey-4K-Blu-ray/224350/

Video
Aspect ratio: 2.20:1
Original aspect ratio: 2.20:1

So now we can add Lionsgate, Sony and Warners to the list utilizing HDR10....in addition to 20th Century Fox!

Universal is also releasing UHD 4K movies, as well, utilizing HDR10

Schindler's List:

Video
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

So, it would seem that all the Major movie studios are on board with HDR10+!

There are many existing movies with original HDR so I can’t see support being dropped. HDR+ is the latest open source (free) version and Dolby Vision is a licensed technology for Dolby’s version of ‘HDR’. Much like LPCM vs Dolby Digital for audio.

I’m ripping a couple of my latest 4K HDR UHD Blu-rays now but doing full backups first then to MKV just in case Dolby Vision needs to be reconverted in future as its not supported in rip playback just yet.

Hostiles and Hell or High Water - both from Amazon US as never released here in AU on 4K.

Too bad dolby vision isn't supported using the hdmi input of the 205. That would make everything nice and tidy for those with their htpc's hooked up like that.

Too bad dolby vision isn't supported using the hdmi input of the 205. That would make everything nice and tidy for those with their htpc's hooked up like that.

Likewise, himey, Dolby Vision is NOT supported in 4K projectors......only flat screen monitors. As the ole saying goes: you can't have EVERYTHING:(

Back