HiRez Poll Orbison, Roy - BLACK & WHITE NIGHT [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Roy Orbison - BLACK AND WHITE NIGHT

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
I recently got the BluRay and it is outstanding!

Ok I'm suffering potential format choice overload !

I have the option of :-

The DVD / DVD-Audio edition.
The DVD / SACD edition
The Blu-Ray edition.

Not to mention

The VHS tape
The HD DVD

No just checked neither of the above two will fit in the Oppo so.........

Blu-Ray or SACD or DVD-A, which is THE ONE?

I am tempted by the Blu-Ray for the visuals but is the audio as good as the other two Hi-Rez formats?

Never had this dilemna before when all three formats are readily available at reasonable prices :)

Blu-ray is the easy and correct choice.

On the grounds of......??

The SACD v DVD-A debate often rages on, personally I prefer the SACD format.

Why? Well I bought a Nu-Force modified Oppo just to listen to one disk :eek: then I found it didn't even rank highly when I discovered the Hi-Rez Poll. (It was DSOTM).

Now have 62 disks and the collection grows inversly proportional to my bank account.

I have seen debates over equivilent disks in the two formats comparing mixes and sonic quality.

Blu-Ray I assume would be nicer to watch than the DVD video.

But I am going purely for the audio quality here - is Master Audio as agood as / better than either of the two other formats and in particular the SACD version?

I can't compare Blu-Ray to SACD because I don't have matching discs. However I will say I find Blu-Ray DTS MA superb. The sound is very clean, and dynamic. I have two Jeff Beck, and three Tom Petty Blu-Rays and the all have the same basic sound characteristics. If you don't have Black and White Night yet I would recommend getting the Blu-Ray. I have the SACD and enjoy it immensely but see no need to upgrade to the Blu-Ray.

The reason is simple, I have no preference between the two for audio but the performance is originally a video concert and the version with HD video in addition to lossless high resolution surround is the simple choice. I have had the SACD for 6 years or so and haven't played it since having the ability to play the concert in high resolution surround simultaneously with HD video.

On the grounds of......??

The SACD v DVD-A debate often rages on, personally I prefer the SACD format.

Why? Well I bought a Nu-Force modified Oppo just to listen to one disk :eek: then I found it didn't even rank highly when I discovered the Hi-Rez Poll. (It was DSOTM).

Now have 62 disks and the collection grows inversly proportional to my bank account.

I have seen debates over equivilent disks in the two formats comparing mixes and sonic quality.

Blu-Ray I assume would be nicer to watch than the DVD video.

But I am going purely for the audio quality here - is Master Audio as agood as / better than either of the two other formats and in particular the SACD version?

I just ordered the DVD A version from Amazon for $17. Looking forward to hearing this in my TL....

I think the choice between video or audio only is the type of experience you want to have. Listening to the SACD gives me the chance to imagine the setting and focus on the music. The Blu-ray would let me watch the special guests and enjoy their experience. For me, I like to think about the music, especially in MC.

I did not rebuy this 6 years ago as had the DTS video and thought whats the point of upgrading. Now that I have surround in the car thought now is a good time to pickup the DVDA copy of this and wow is that ever a good decision. This is so much fun to listen to in the car, what a great recording. Will listen a few times yet before giving a vote on this.
People in USA are so lucky as this can be bought for around $14 on Amazon, what a steal of a deal.
I paid double that to order from a Canadian site and am not disappointed and am happy that I finally got this, what was I thinking DVDA is worth the upgrade over DTS.

I did not rebuy this 6 years ago as had the DTS video and thought whats the point of upgrading. Now that I have surround in the car thought now is a good time to pickup the DVDA copy of this and wow is that ever a good decision. This is so much fun to listen to in the car, what a great recording. Will listen a few times yet before giving a vote on this.
People in USA are so lucky as this can be bought for around $14 on Amazon, what a steal of a deal.
I paid double that to order from a Canadian site and am not disappointed and am happy that I finally got this, what was I thinking DVDA is worth the upgrade over DTS.
Not trying to be a smart-ass. Just letting you know that is somewhat cheaper than you paid: $23.32 including shipping
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listi...w?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1372353411&sr=1-6

THANK YOU.

It makes me mental when I read people who post that it's impossible to hear the difference between DVD-A and DTS CD in a car environment.
And most of the people on that particular soap box have never even heard surround sound of any type in a car to begin with.

Not trying to be a smart-ass. Just letting you know that is somewhat cheaper than you paid: $23.32 including shipping
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listi...w?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1372353411&sr=1-6

I knew about amazon.ca price lower, you aren't being a smart-ass as I didn't fully explain as I had a gift certificate from my work for chapters.ca and I know their prices are inflated for movies and cd's but when I saw that they had the Roy Orbison went for it and as I said am not disappointed at all. I could have ordered a book which I would have read once but I will get many plays out of the Roy Orbison, wow, does it ever sound good and a bonus track(Blue Angel) on it over the dvd, so thats good as well.

Just have to say another big thanks for this fantastic performance by Roy Orbison and friends and such a great mix by Elliot S. on this one. Wow do I ever love how this mix uses all the speakers and using rear speakers for backup vocals sounds so cool. I know alot of audio purists don't think thats right for a live performance to spread other instruments and backup vocals there but it sounds so sweet by doing it this way. For people that don't have this on DvdA or Sacd you need to get it, its one of my go to disk's to listen in the car now.

peter

I agree with Peter.

The surround mix is not 'concert correct', but it adds a new dimension to the performance.

I still love it every time I play it.

I agree with Peter.

The surround mix is not 'concert correct', but it adds a new dimension to the performance.

I still love it every time I play it.

Plus you can (or could) get it in CD - LD - DVD - DVD-A - SACD - BluRay - HD-DVD.

Not many other titles can beat that format spread.

>>>>> Edited to add HD-DVD

Back