Quad LP/Tape Poll Orlando, Tony, & Dawn: Greatest Hits [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Greatest Hits"

• Total voters
Last night a friend and I were discussing this album, so I popped it back in for a listen. Maybe I'm starting to get a little soft, but of the tracks that come from multitrack, they're actually really good. Only "Summer Sand" and "Candida" don't come from a multi, I'm fairly positive everything else does. So, I guess that's got the Tommy James Q8 beat!

Why they didn't use a stereo version to fake seems odd. The stereo track has nice separation.

All the other songs are pretty discrete with bass/drums in the front. Tony & the girls also occupy the front channels occasionally Tony's vocal is in back center but it's buried low and always very dry.

Other instruments are panned hard BL or BR. Other tracks also feature other instruments in hard FL or FR positions. Many tracks also feature some drum kit bleed in the rears to flesh out the mix.

All in all, not as horrible as I originally thought. I've certainly heard worse. I suppose my biggest gripe would be the usage of the phantom left or right channels, but often times the horns or strings were not recorded in stereo, so I guess they had to do something. Many of the songs sound like they came from eight tracks and not sixteen.

Reactions: GOS
I just bought this album used off Discogs. The quad mix is pretty terrible. I realize I don't have the perfect set up, (Sure M24H and a Sansui QRX-7001,) but the vocals are mostly out of the rear! Very flat sounding. Aren't most of the Arista CD-4s pretty poor?

• Sad
Reactions: GOS
I just bought this album used off Discogs. The quad mix is pretty terrible. I realize I don't have the perfect set up, (Sure M24H and a Sansui QRX-7001,) but the vocals are mostly out of the rear! Very flat sounding. Aren't most of the Arista CD-4s pretty poor?

there are some keepers! my favourites (in order of surround-y preference) are;

Brecker Brothers Band "Back To Back",
Melissa Manchester "Better Days & Happy Endings",
Barry Manilow "II",
Eric Carmen.

tbh among the rest i tried (almost all of them bar Funny Lady, one of the Manilow's and a Melissa Manchester i got on Q8 instead) i could take 'em or leave 'em.. and.. well.. what can i say, i left 'em 🤣

The Outlaws' Lady In Waiting has a fantastic quad mix.

(not a threadcrap just pure unvarnished honesty) i cannot remember one thing about that Outlaws Quad! 😱

ok, i do remember it was a fairly hard CD-4 to get.. and that when i finally got one and put it on i sat there with a kinda "is that all it does" expression and it sounded a bit 'muddy' maybe? 🤷‍♀️

however if you say its fantastic then it feels quite likely i was possibly off my titties at the time.. either way its one to revisit for sure which i shall do soon!! 👍

ok, i do remember it was a fairly hard CD-4 to get.. and that when i finally got one and put it on i sat there with a kinda "is that all it does" expression and it sounded a bit 'muddy' maybe? 🤷‍♀️

The first track doesn't do much quad-wise, but it gets much more interesting as it goes on. One of the songs has an extended instrumental section where the guitar solos trade off between front right and rear left. There's also a few drum fills that seem to fly around the room. Musically it's right up my alley - country rock in the vein of Poco or the first few Eagles albums.

Yes. The worst of the CD-4,'s. Bad mixes, terrible pressings.

Back