Out of Thin Air By Don Grusin-Octave Records

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. No comment on the music. 😞

Was it J Gordon Holt who once mused: "The Better the Recording.... the worse the performance?"

But to be fair, I've always been a fan of Dave Grusin's music and film projects! And his GRP label was in a word intoxicating.

Last edited:
Was it J Gordon Holt who once mused: "The Better the Recording.... the worse the performance?"
But to be fair, I've always been a fan of Dave Grusin's music and film projects! And his GRP label was in a word intoxicating.
To be honest, I've enjoyed him in the past but I do not recognize him here.

...I've always been a fan of Dave Grusin's music and film projects!
...I do not recognize him here.
18wi65.jpg

This is his brother Don.

I bought it, too, and would be interested in trading it if anyone's interested. It is a nice recording - a lot of attention paid to the recording equipment and process in the liner notes.

If pix like these are in response to my post and targeted to me, they are wasted. I don't get the point and I don't really care.

KAL, YOU ARE NOT, REPEAT NOT, THE TARGET. The DSD Download in question was DON and NOT DAVE Grusin [Yes, Dave has a musical brother named DON] and I mistakenly confused the two ..... thus the silly TWINS reference in the pic.

One Night Only!

KAL, YOU ARE NOT, REPEAT NOT, THE TARGET. The DSD Download in question was DON and NOT DAVE Grusin [Yes, Dave has a musical brother named DON] and I mistakenly confused the two ..... thus the silly TWINS reference in the pic.
AAarrrgghhh! I should have been. Not only did I not understand the twins riff, I did not realize that there were two Grusins. I bought and listened to "Out of Thin Air" under the misconception that it was Dave (with whom I was familiar), not Don (whose existence was unknown to me). No wonder it was so different and I apologize for dissing Don for not being Dave.

Shades of Emily Litella! 😱

BTW, DON Grusin also has a very tasty and sonically SUPERB MLP DVD~A 5.1 96/24 album called THE HANG with a VERY impressive back up band featuring Patti Austin as vocalist

https://www.discogs.com/Don-Grusin-The-Hang/release/15022222

Released on the Soverign Artists label in the USA!

R-15022222-1585628965-2722.jpeg.jpg

The German Version album cover [RBCD/DVD~V of a live concert]

519EgqttQwL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I was also familiar with Dave Grusin...and not paying close attention I acquired some of his brother's music by mistake. At the time I was scratching my head, who Don? :unsure:
So Kal you're not the only one!

Back