HiRez Poll Outkast - STANKONIA [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Outkast - STANKONIA

• Total voters
mix should have been a little less consevative.
If you got into SpeakerBox/the Love Below this one will be fun.

Surround mix is anemic. The only time it works is with the interludes. I'm tempted to say the CD is a better purchase, though, it is my recommendation that the DVD-A be purchased and then a CD burned from that. At least that way a DVD-A is sold and the labels can see there is interest in hi-rez surround sound. Besides, you'll get a few mucic videos. Sadly, the music videos aren't even made available in surround sound---just stereo. I gave it a 3.

Yea this should have been a 5, as the mix is very weak. The material calls out for a wild mix. I don't know what I was thinking giving it an 8.

I have this title too and it is way too tame to justify what the material demands. Disappointing overall due to this as you are waiting for the surrounds to kick in and they sadly fail to sing. A five for me. Fails to live up to promise.

Anther terrible 5.1 mix by JAMES STONE who ruined Overkill and Chocolate Factory as well.

B.O.B is a disgrace with the volume dropping upon the verses.

This is nothing close to an incredible mix, but it's still a 5.1 mix. I actually like it at some points, especially on the chorus of B.O.B. I'm very suprised by the rating of this being around a 5 because the music is still of course, brilliant.

I'll give it a 7 because the music is incredible but the mix leaves a bit to be desired.

Hmmm - I like it. I mean, the mix. Ain't bad......or...well. I dunno. Let me pop it in.

Yeah--I haven't played this in a while, either. Even longer since I've heard the RBCD, so I don't have that baseline to compare it against. But I'm listening to the surround mix now, and while I can see how someone with more imagination could have had a lot of fun with this album, it's not like there's nothing going on in the rears here. Plus, how many albums in your surround database can you classify as "Krunk"? So I don't really get the haters. And those "1" and "3" votes just make me angry.

So yeah: 9 for the classic content, 8 for sonics (even though it's probably compressed as hell, it's still clear and balanced, and the bass is nice and powerful without being overwhelming), and 7 for the mix. "8" from me.

Last edited:
Yeah--I haven't played this in a while, either. Even longer since I've heard the RBCD, so I don't have that baseline to compare it against. But I'm listening to the surround mix now, and while I can see how someone with more imagination could have had a lot of fun with this album, it's not like there's nothing going on in the rears here. Plus, how many albums in your surround database can you classify as "Krunk"? So I don't really get the haters. And those "1" and "3" votes just make me angry.

So yeah: 9 for the classic content, 8 for sonics (even though it's probably compressed as hell, it's still clear and balanced, and the bass is nice and powerful without being overwhelming), and 7 for the mix. "8" from me.
Yeah the 1 and 3 votes are stupid. Likely just some boomers who don't consider rap real music lol. But yeah, this album is one I will still be listening for the rest of my life. Glad to see some love for it!

Reactions: GOS
If there’s anyone out there still listening to this … how are you listening? With DTS something or Dolby something? Any attempts at immersive upmixes?

There is surround detail there, but I’ve had to turn the subwoofer down & am using Neural: X (the DTS immersive upmixer). I found the Dolby Surround upmix (further) killed what little detail & dynamics exist. Anyone else find that the center channel is sparsely used & that it’s a very two-channel led mix. Not surprising, but as stated before, very UNimaginiative. Interludes definitely best use of the surround, but the songs rarely do more than leave you wanting (begging) more than just the upmixer doing the engineers job.

I think that the mix deserves a (generous) 6. Music is of course a GOAT 10 classic.

Back