Over 120 Multichannel SACDs Now Available

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
These days we're seeing new Multichannel SACD discs appear almost weekly.

With that in mind, I've been tracking these releases with a web listing on my web site at ourworld.compuserve.com/h...acdnow.htm

So far, we have 90 Multichannel SACDs available in the US, 17 in Europe only and 14 in Japan only, for a total of 121.

That's in addition to the 450+ Stereo only SACDs now available.

A complete listing of all SACD discs - Multichannel and Stereo - can be found in Excel and Acrobat format over on the Super Audio CD Shop web site in Austria at www.superaudio-cd.com/. The list is under the heading "SACD Title Information". The February 2002 list (up now) lists 573 SACDs available worldwide through February.

In short, things continue to look good for the continued growth of the Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) format.

Hey Brian,

I love your site and think it is an invaluable resource. I visit it nearly every day hoping to see new multi-channel SACD releases. My somewhat discouraging comment elsewhere had to do with the titles I really, really, really want to see coming to market. It seems to be taking a long time for some of these titles. Specifically, Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Texas Flood", Miles Davis - "Bitches Brew", Weather Report - "Heavy Weather", and The Byrds - "Fifth Dimension" to name but a few titles I have been anticipating.

The raw number of titles coming to market is encouraging, but a majority are titles I could really care less about (I know I'm not alone in this opinion). I would really like to see more popular titles than a lot of the classical stuff or titles by lesser-known artists on smaller labels. Ah, but such is the nature of the media. It's being considered an audiophile format and the quality of the recording supercedes name recognition or popularity of a recording. That's all well and good but doesn't necessarily do a lot to ensure long-term success of the media.

Just my two cents...

Cai

There are a lot of Jazz and Classical discs among the 500+ SACDs now on the market. And you are right, that is due to Sony & Philips' targeting of the Audiophile market.

But SACD is just now entering Phase 3 of the rollout which involves the mass market - and that includes pop, rock and soul titles. So more are on the way.

Well, last I heard Varese Sarabande was reissuing the Enoch Light albums.

Who knows - they haven't announced any SACD plans... yet

Hey all
Hi Brian,
Long time no chat! Glad someone keeps up with this SACD stuff. You know meeting me when involved with this mess i can tell you for a fact that a lot of the problem is all the signatures that need to be obtained. By far that is #1, then comes resurrection problems. Material anyone but the big boys can access is another problem. 5.1 Entertainment became desperate for material once the big boys decided to play, that is why all we got was a few cuts of that old material from them. The came looking for anything worthy and wanted the HDS stuff. Glad they found a label with titles, they are keeping the faith.
Tad

Hi Tad!

From what I hear, the licensing issue affects all of the labels - Be they small (like HDS and 5.1 Entertainment) or large (like Sony, Warner, etc.)

Sony Music has now released well over 100 SACDs - mostly Stereo only until recently. And Telarc has been very active as well. So the license hurdles are being crossed.

Thinsg are definitely looking up for SACD fans.

I have about 40 Multi SACDs as well as about 60 DVD audio
the sound of both leave all others dead
ron

Glad you're enjoying the Multichannel SACDs on the market.

The good news is that Sonopress is doubling their hybrid SACD disc pressing line in Europe. So we'll be seeing even more Multichannel SACDs this Spring and Summer! Should be fun.

>> I have about 40 Multi SACDs as well as about 60 DVD audio
the sound of both leave all others dead
ron <<

Hi Ron,

Glad to see you made it over here.
It's nice to see so many of the "Old Time Quad Guys" still doing the multichannel thing.

:-jon

Back