Overheard at a convenience store this evening

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man that stuff is all right up my alley boondocks :LB
Did you know that Charlie Daniels used to manage Roy Buchanan? I just learned this a few days ago.
Charlie was a very talented guy, and besides music he appeared as a regular in a tv series filmed in California in his younger days. Sure looked different without that beard! I only have vague memories of the tv show, it was sort of one of those c grade things (my words) that used to run on Saturday mornings.

Muzak in stores is still common in the US then? It was never really much of a thing in the UK - I guess the stores realised it just annoyed people. I can't remember the last time I heard anything being played in a shop. Except, for some strange reason at Christmas, when the bigger supermarkets seem to enjoy force feeding their customers a diet of what sounds like a loop of the same four tediously jolly festive pop songs - probably to encourage people to get out of the shop as quickly as possible. Not surprisingly, the staff always say it drives them mad!

Muzak isn't really common anymore in the US....however sometimes in Convenience type of stores...it still exists...it sounds better than listening to the coolers run :ROFLMAO:

Muzak isn't really common anymore in the US....however sometimes in Convenience type of stores...it still exists...it sounds better than listening to the coolers run :ROFLMAO:
Have you never been put on hold? Muzak is still big business here...wish it wasn't since hearing a song you like in that manner can be depresing.

Often when I am put on hold, they have a music generator that makes up tunes by itself.

I happen to like a lot of different kinds of music. I always wonder about people who don't want to hear kinds of music they "don't like". Most of them don't want to hear anything older than a year. And it seems that many people like the kind of music that was popular when they were teenagers. Instead, I want to save all of the music I like.

I have a lot of records, with the oldest made in 1908, and a new one I bought a month ago (not to mention cassettes and CDs). I like classical, folk, rag time, swing, jazz, 50s pop, mariachi, classic rock, some hard rock, country, comedy, inspirational, disco, house, techno, manga, soul, r&b, and many more. And most of them I play through Dolby Pro Logic II (the mono ones I have to hit the mono switch because they did not control noise in the vertical direction in the record groove until the mid 1960s).

And I have at least 30 "new" versions of Pachelbel's Canon in D.

I fell in love with a song on the radio "The Ash Grove" when I was 5. I later lost track of it and forgot it existed. But recently I bought a 45 of it at a garage sale.

Last edited:
Have you never been put on hold? Muzak is still big business here...wish it wasn't since hearing a song you like in that manner can be depresing.

Ah yes...the telephone medley..I'm actually glad when I get music...instead of something about the company over and over and over and over again..

But since you mentioned telephone calls to a company....I'm sick and tired of somebody wanting me to take a "brief" survey of how the customer service rep did...there I said it...I feel so much better:whistle:

I happen to like a lot of different kinds of music. I always wonder about people who don't want to hear kinds of music they "don't like". Most of them don't want to hear anything older than a year. And it seems that many people like the kind of music that was popular when they were teenagers. Instead, I want to save all of the music I like.

I guess I'd say for myself it's easier to describe what music I don't like, which is opera or country/western (new or old). To me these are at other ends of the musical spectrum & I am either ok with everything in between or like it very much.

Yes they say the music you listen to when your 18 you'll be listening to the rest of your life. That's true. But really how many times do you have to hear Whole lotta Love before you stab screwdrivers through your eardrums so you never have to hear it again? I think the trick is to hang on to the best from the past you enjoy but keep an open mind looking for something new you like.

In '74 I was rocking out to Aerosmith while also discovering Big Band & Swing of my parents generation. I was brought up around Kansas City jazz but so much great jazz has been created since the 30>40's it would be a shame to reject it.

I disagree that it's hard to find good music anymore. Thanks to QQ I have discovered, and purchased, many artists I would not have been aware of. And YouTube & streaming makes it even eaiser but if you make up your mind nothing good has been composed since, oh, '76, you'll never find it.

Maybe 16 years ago I was really stalled on picking out new American or at any rate English albums. I would spend an hour browsing at a record shop & not make a decision. On a whim I bought a Laserdisc of Chisato Moritaka J Pop & fell in love the music and her performance. The Japanese can do any style of music Yanks or Brits can. Because of Western influence Japanese music is easy to access but sounds just different enough to be unique. With out a doubt I am just as likely to listen to or watch an Asian concert or music as I am English speaking.

There is an Japanese musician/performer named Mickey Curtis. Born to English/Japanese parents, raised in Tokyo he is regarded in Japan right up there as we might do with Elvis. In fact he is credited with bringing & popularizing Rockabilly to Japan back in the day. He's been in dozens of movies. About 5 years ago he starred in a hilarious movie called Robo G. When he was promoting the movie & giving interviews, he was asked if he ever missed the good old days. The days at his peak with big crowds, & adoring fans. His response was :" No. Yesterday is never as good as tomorrow." I like that attitude. Mickey is alive and well at 82.

While I don’t doubt that there is great new music out there how much of it is mainly original and not just rehashed ideas from 40-50 years ago? I really think that as far as rock music is concerned that once rap and pop took over as the music of the teenage set that it killed any kind of innovation and chance for the form to keep growing organically.

I have heard a lot of indie rock bands that at first listen sound like they have all of the right ingredients there, but the music always seems to be so emotionless and linear. There is no gusto there and they come off sounding like they are trying to be as non-threatening as humanly possible. The song starts off well but basically just stays flatline with no emotional payoff for the listener. I guess that hipsters like it but for me it just frustrates me.

Any company still using music on hold these days should have its board of directors tied to chairs and forced to listen to it for several hours over a cell connection.

Today's digital mobile phone codecs are heavily optimized for voice communication, to achieve maximum compression and bandwidth efficiency. One of the key features of a human voice is that it's monophonic - that is, it "only plays one note at a time." The compression algorithms in the codecs are tuned to take maximum advantage of this known characteristic. When presented with a polyphonic audio stream (i.e. music), they fail, badly, and the result is the garbled mess we've all come to know and hate. Music on hold just doesn't work anymore.

Personally I love Wolfgang, but I can appreciate your perspective. But remember, he died at 27 and who knows what a mature Mozart would have produced.
Actually, he was 35.

Classical music was the first music I heard that I wanted to play, thanks to my mother who listened to a classical radio station, as well as an easy listening station, but since my parents were folk dancers that was also in the mix from the beginning. I got into jazz when I was a teenager, while listening to rock and soul on the New York AM stations. Country music came along after college, and there are a few disco classics in my collection too. However, I draw the line at rap, house, EDM, and hip hop. So even the most eclectic listeners may have their limits.

If I had to choose music to make the case for Mozart as one of the greatest classical composers I would probably choose some slow movements from his concertos: the clarinet concerto, the piano concerto No. 21 (if you can forget about Elvira Madigan), the Sinfonia Concertante; arias from "The Marriage of Figaro" and the ending of the opera, which can bring me to tears, the last scene of "Don Giovanni" when Don Giovanni entertains the ghost of the Commendatore, and the trial by fire of the lovers in "The Magic Flute" (I know opera is a hard sell but the music is worth the extra work); and some of the serenades: for 13 wind instruments, the Serenata Notturna, and the Haffner Serenade.

But everyone reacts to music differently and your mileage will vary. One of my classical music-loving friends can't stand Debussy, another has no use for Rossini, another doesn't like Mahler (he used to but he "grew up," and so on, and so on.

Last edited:
Actually, he was 35.

Classical music was the first music I heard that I wanted to play, thanks to my mother who listened to a classical radio station, as well as an easy listening station, but since my parents were folk dancers that was also in the mix from the beginning. I got into jazz when I was a teenager, while listening to rock and soul on the New York AM stations. Country music came along after college, and there are a few disco classics in my collection too. However, I draw the line at rap, house, EDM, and hip hop. So even the most eclectic listeners may have their limits.

If I had to choose music to make the case for Mozart as one of the greatest classical composers I would probably choose some slow movements from his concertos: the clarinet concerto, the piano concerto No. 21 (if you can forget about Elvira Madigan), the Sinfonia Concertante; arias from "The Marriage of Figaro" and the ending of the opera, which can bring me to tears, the last scene of "Don Giovanni" when Don Giovanni entertains the ghost of the Commendatore, and the trial by fire of the lovers in "The Magic Flute" (I know opera is a hard sell but the music is worth the extra work); and some of the serenades: for 13 wind instruments, the Serenata Notturna, and the Haffner Serenade.

But everyone reacts to music differently and your mileage will vary. One of my classical music-loving friends can't stand Debussy, another has no use for Rossini, another who doesn't like Mahler, and so on, and so on.
Good to see you posting Jerry :dance

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this on QQ before, but I highly, HIGHLY recommend Radio Paradise. Huge, varied playlist of old and new. Primarily "rock" (as broadly defined) but also a bit of jazz, country, world and even classical.

I suggest listening for an hour or more before deciding if it's for you or not. You may not like what they're doing at the moment, but a few songs later it will be something completely different. Yet it's not just some kind of computer-generated random thing, there's clearly thought behind it.

https://radioparadise.com/player

Personally I love Wolfgang, but I can appreciate your perspective. But remember, he died at 27 and who knows what a mature Mozart would have produced.
And sophistication is no measure of greatness either: Mozart may well have been one of the most skilled composers ever, but almost everything I've heard by him makes me want to shove pencils in my ears!

Note that much of Mozart´s music was the $$$ MUZAK for the gentry and royalty of his day. It is delightful and skilful music, but was directed squarely at the ¨commercial¨ audience of his time. The music of Bach and Mahler that I also love is much more dense, profound and sophisticated, though generally not so much fun...

I greatly enjoy both at the right time and place... but also my DSOM and ELO in Surround :cool:

Back