Overpriced Vintage Equipment: You've gotta be kidding me!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that GORGEOUS solid wood case!
...made of the finest chipboard
chipboard3.JPG

Last edited:
So who uses a receiver like this to listen to AM anyway?
Not me that’s for sure, but I figure some folks looking at this type of gear and paying $3,000+, are going to want functional perfection.

Reminds me of a lesson my dad taught me years ago, about a large company having computer problems (you know the really old ones the size of 4 refrigerators and tapes.). So they call in a Tech. guy to fix it. Tech guy looks at it and checks a few settings, then takes a tiny screw driver out of his shirt pocket protector and turns a small screw a quarter turn to the left. Steps back and says, “that’s it, she’s all yours, that’ll be $100” (long time ago- yeah) The company man is stunned and says belligerently “a hundred dollars, what for, you only turned that little screw?”
The Tech guy says- “right, 10 cents for turning the screw and $99.90 for knowing what screw to turn and by how much!”

I got a pretty good deal on my 8001, but not being savvy with electronics, I also knew I would need that kind of a guy and the real cost would be to qrxrestore to fix all the problems in it.

Not me that’s for sure, but I figure some folks looking at this type of gear and paying $3,000+, are going to want functional perfection.

Reminds me of a lesson my dad taught me years ago, about a large company having computer problems (you know the really old ones the size of 4 refrigerators and tapes.). So they call in a Tech. guy to fix it. Tech guy looks at it and checks a few settings, then takes a tiny screw driver out of his shirt pocket protector and turns a small screw a quarter turn to the left. Steps back and says, “that’s it, she’s all yours, that’ll be $100” (long time ago- yeah) The company man is stunned and says belligerently “a hundred dollars, what for, you only turned that little screw?”
The Tech guy says- “right, 10 cents for turning the screw and $99.90 for knowing what screw to turn and by how much!”

I got a pretty good deal on my 8001, but not being savvy with electronics, I also knew I would need that kind of a guy and the real cost would be to qrxrestore to fix all the problems in it.
That reminds me of the old joke, How can you tell its a DEC engineer with a flat tyre? He's the one moving it from wheel to wheel to see if the problem disappears!

love this. Corinthian leather was of course vinyl, and the pronunciation of Cordoba was completely wrong, yet it sounded better so they went with it. The best.
TAKE 1 thru 32 of the shooting of the Chrysler ad:

Ricardo Montalbán: ..The Chrysler CÓRdoba...

Director: CUT!!!!!

Ricardo Montalbán: ...damn these frickin' gringos!!!!...

TAKE 1 thru 32 of the shooting of the Chrysler ad:

Ricardo Montalbán: ..The Chrysler CÓRdoba...

Director: CUT!!!!!

Ricardo Montalbán: ...damn these frickin' gringos!!!!...
The only reason I remember all this was seeing Ricardo being interviewed somewhere, maybe the Mike Douglas show, where he recounted the whole thing. Must have been during the heyday of Fantasy Island. Seemed like a great sport.

My long gone old time girl friend Jann had some tight bell bottoms made out of fine Corinthian leather. When she went vegan she swore off Corinthian cows.

Back