Overpriced Vintage Equipment: You've gotta be kidding me!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Sony TPB-800 portable 8 track player which I glued the cracked plastic head bracket back together, is similar to GE players. It plays good but now the track indicator light is 1 ahead of what is playing. Anyone know how to synchronize the track indicator?

Usually the track indicator is in sync with the playback head position, coupled together using a rotating cam. Either the head alignment is off, the head bracket you repaired isn't how it should or somehow the phenolic board that has rotating contacts (should a stationary one and a moving one) got out of sync.

Alright, back to the original thread theme:

Here's a lowly QR-4500 with an asking price of a 9001. Not to be mean, but whenever I see an eBayer use the term 'mOnStEr' to describe a receiver the credibility of the listing plummets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353692113354
Didn’t SANSUI make a QUAD receiver that was in a BLACK CASING and I think it was called the MONSTER in their ads…I think it was the top of the line at the time…can’t remember model number

Didn’t SANSUI make a QUAD receiver that was in a BLACK CASING and I think it was called the MONSTER in their ads…I think it was the top of the line at the time…can’t remember model number

QRX-999, European version of the 9001. Not sure. I've seen sellers throw around the term 'monster receiver' so many times it's pretty much lost its meaning with me. Not worth creaming yourself over. Besides in the quad world decoding capabilities of a unit are usually considered before wattage output.

I’m pretty sure that’s not it….I remember the ad in either Rolling Stone or Circus…..I’m sure it had a Black face but might have been another manufacturer’s, but don’t think so
AFAIK that was the only quad Sansui receiver with a black aluminum face. The 890 was another black Sansui receiver that comes to mind but that was stereo.

AFAIK that was the only quad Sansui receiver with a black aluminum face. The 890 was another black Sansui receiver that comes to mind but that was stereo.
I edited my last post I think it also had an oscilloscope built in as well.. might have been from someone else, but don’t think so

I edited my last post I think it also had an oscilloscope built in as well.. might have been from someone else, but don’t think so

This? The only other blackface quad receiver I can think of is a Telefunken TRX-3000.

1465071-e8a19105-marantz-4400-receiver.jpg

I have Sony TPB-800 portable 8 track player which I glued the cracked plastic head bracket back together, is similar to GE players. It plays good but now the track indicator light is 1 ahead of what is playing. Anyone know how to synchronize the track indicator?

You glued the head too high or too low.

Marantz units command high money. They have a habit of making pensions and retirement funds disappear. But it's probably for the best considering their decoding abilities aren't the greatest.
Marantz are away overpriced. They do look cool though. I don't need another quad receiver but I've seen many great deals on Lafayette, Realistic even Pioneer lately, I've been tempted by the low asking prices!

So SANSUI are better for sure? Were they the best? How did Pioneer compare?

To nip the discussion here before it goes into a ten page rant, choosing a quad receiver depends on what you're going to play back on it, especially when it comes to quad records. There was no receiver that did QS, SQ and CD-4 perfectly in one unit. SQ was (and still is) the most difficult matrix scheme to get decoded properly and decoders ranged wildly in terms of their abilities. Marantz's and Pioneer's SQ decoders weren't all that great with a lot of unwanted artifacts during decoding. Sansui invented and held the patent on QS so you're only going to see logic decoders on their QRX units. Mind you that a lot of receivers had compatible 'RM' (Regular Matrix) decoders but logic is better than no logic. CD-4 demodulators varied greatly among units (some were completely manual in setup while others had automatic detection features). Of course you can always get external decoders/demodulators but that just means more junk to clog up your receiver's tape loop(s).

If I were in a desert island situation, I'd go with something from Sasnui's QRX-x001 line. All those receivers had decent (not perfect, but better than nothing) CD-4 demodulators, excellent second generation Vario-Matrix decoding, and a decent front/back logic-assisted SQ decoder to at least get you started (not perfect but still better than nothing). That's simply going the vintage route. If you're not too bothered with going modern just get a basic quad receiver with a CD-4 demodulator and at least one tape loop to attach a Surround Master. Said 'n' done.

Last edited:
Marantz are away overpriced. They do look cool though. I don't need another quad receiver but I've seen many great deals on Lafayette, Realistic even Pioneer lately, I've been tempted by the low asking prices!

Lafayette is probably the best deal in quad, especially later units with internal SQ-W decoders. I'd stay clear of Realistic/Radio Shack. Hard to come by service material and all around hohum in terms of decoding (either basic SQ or their 'Quatravox' Haffler circuit) and overall I/O. In fact, some units despite being quad only had stereo tape loops! The QTA 770 is the only Rat Shack quad receiver I'd ever bother with IMO. I picked up a 753 on a whim and was not impressed.

Back