Owsley Stanley Foundation Recordings.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I was wondering if anybody has purchased any recordings from the Owsley Stanley Foundation, stereo downloads.
Link: Acoustic Sounds Download
They have great reviews for there sonic quality. Looks interesting to me. There is quite a list of recordings not yet released by the foundation.
Maybe if more are purchased, more will get released.
As of this writing, I have not purchased any, but tempted.

I was wondering if anybody has purchased any recordings from the Owsley Stanley Foundation, stereo downloads.
Link: Acoustic Sounds Download
They have great reviews for there sonic quality. Looks interesting to me. There is quite a list of recordings not yet released by the foundation.
Maybe if more are purchased, more will get released.
As of this writing, I have not purchased any, but tempted.

Don't delay, @marpow. I just learned from Kal Rubinson yesterday that Acoustic Sounds are discontinuing all of their downloads after December 31st...

What? Well that would really suck as over the years they have had some downloads that others did not have.

Yeah. No advance warning on their website. You have to get their e-newsletter, apparently--which I don't receive, even though I've ordered from them in the past:

https://us20.campaign-archive.com/?u=ea5f7624f9241fd2b54311c77&id=fecd5cbdb4
1609174585190.png

Yeah. No advance warning on their website. You have to get their e-newsletter, apparently--which I don't receive, even though I've ordered from them in the past:

https://us20.campaign-archive.com/?u=ea5f7624f9241fd2b54311c77&id=fecd5cbdb4
View attachment 60961
Certainly not good news. Probably the Act of 2018 more than anything.
I am listening to the Doc & Merle Watson recording now on Tidal. I have not checked to see if the others are available? I think you can also buy them on CD? But 24/192 beats them all.

Certainly not good news. Probably the Act of 2018 more than anything.
I am listening to the Doc & Merle Watson recording now on Tidal. I have not checked to see if the others are available? I think you can also buy them on CD? But 24/192 beats them all.

Might be worth writing to the foundation (I didn't realize they were in Occidental--right near the famed "Bohemian Grove"!) to see whether they have alternate arrangements lined up. Qobuz? Dropbox links via Bandcamp?

I was wondering about Acoustic Sounds stopping there download service, which is a shame.
Many of Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions recordings are exclusive to this company.
These Owsley recordings are one of the exclusive download rites according to there advertising.
The newest just days away from there closing, Ali Akbar Khan.
I looked at the Owsley Foundation website, CD and download purchases are available, so that bodes well for any upcoming releases.

My question, if any of the AP exclusive rites downloads, wouldn't they want to at least sell those downloads on there site?
I do not know what the Act of 2018 is all about?

Listening to The Allman Brothers 1970, awesome, stereo imaging is fantastic for a unfinished recording, some little quirks here and there, but cool stuff inbetween tracks,

Last edited:
I have now purchased a few of these recordings, super good and a nice part of history. I really like the little inconsistencies here and there, makes the recording seem so real, but at the same time sonically as a whole they are gems.
When you go to the Owsley home site and purchase a recording it takes you direct to Acoustic Sounds. Will this change Jan 1st?

Little history, as I live here, about the Family Dog, started by Chet Helms at Carousel Ballroom, Avalaon Ballroom, Family Dog At the Great Hiway and stopped in the 90's at Maratime Hall all in San Francisco.
The Great Hiway venue was adjacent to Playland At The Beach, now torn down with condos, but The FD building is torn down and to this day is just an empty sand lot.
I believe the building was first erected as a roller skating rink, than the FD came and ended up, which I went to as a giant slot car track.
Just like NYC, San Francisco sure had it's dirty, gritty hey day in the 70's and then in the 80's the San Francisco 49er's saved us all.

I have 2 of bears sonic journals:
Live at the Carousel Ballroom 1968 on vinyl
and
The Allman Brother’s Band
Fillmore East February 1970 digital

Back