HiRez Poll Parker, Maceo - SCHOOL'S IN! [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Maceo Parker - SCHOOL'S IN!

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
And no air conditioning? Did your crops survive? I've been watching the BBC limited series YEARS AND YEARS and the future doesn't look too promising. Stay Cool ......

Air Con...What's That!!
Only in my car
We ain't used to these crazy temps here in the UK
Cambridge hit tops with 38C

Crops are just about managing ta...watered them yesterday evening at 8.00 pm still 30C then!!
OH I could really get into trouble, if I stated my views on all sorts of topics.

Tha's why this site is great, keeps it nice n friendly.

But lets all get funked I say. :QQlove :QQlove

Air Con...What's That!!
Only in my car
We ain't used to these crazy temps here in the UK
Cambridge hit tops with 38C

Crops are just about managing ta...watered them yesterday evening at 8.00 pm still 30C then!!
OH I could really get into trouble, if I stated my views on all sorts of topics.

Tha's why this site is great, keeps it nice n friendly.

But lets all get funked I say. :QQlove :QQlove

As long as you keep your BoJo workin', BK, everything will be peachy creamy as we deal with Don the Con....across the pond!

Last edited:
Funny - I just changed my avatar to this album an hour or so ago.... as I'd just made a DVD-A of it for my car...

Having a look at the WAVs for this taken from the SACD its "a tad" compressed.... but otherwise a great disc...

View attachment 10780
Hmm, just a "tad" as the weatherman would say! I sought out this disc because of a post from @beerking, and am I glad I did! I posted that I was listening to it last night, and this morning @fredblue suggested I head over to this poll. I don't know about you, but I do whatever @fredblue asks me to! Reading through the reviews, I notice that there is some discussion about enhanced stereo vs discrete multichannel. Now I don't have any computer savvy or programs to show me what's really going on, but the WAVs from this post do not appear to be enhanced stereo to me. And this disc KICKS some serious aspect!

Funk was a BIG part of my love of music when first I was blowing out my ears. I would so LOVE more funk in surround. I'm so glad this is available! As some reviewers have noted, not all of the tracks are equally wonderful, but there are more than enough to make this a treasured disc in my collection! The recovering Engl-ish teacher in me loves the hommage to the Bard in the opening track, "To Be Or Not To Be," and it gets better from there, with the serious workout of "Basic Funk: 101." Btw, I love the "school" theme that runs through the disc. As noted by several reviewers above, track 3 doesn't really do it for me. I'm glad Maceo (just typing the name has me hearing James Brown call his name out!) gave his son some time to rap, but . . . well, let's just say I prefer a bit more verbal dexterity and lyrical pyrotechnics when I'm in the mood for flow, but you know, I'm glad the track is present. I dig what Maceo and the band does with the Jackson 5 classic "ABC." "Song For My Teacher" slows things down considerably. Initially, I missed the energy of the previous tracks, but ultimately this track shows what Maceo can do with a soulful jazz groove; again, I'm glad to have it. "Speed Reading" has that superfast supertight James Brown feel to it ("MACEO!")--work it! "What A Wonderful World" is another killer cover with a nice vocal and alto sax from Candy Dulfer. "Arts And Crafts" is up next with some tasty piano work and more soulful jazz; it ends far too quickly for me. Back to more serious Funk with "Advanced Funk," which doesn't quite kick it as hard as 101 for me, but the album ends on a high note with "I'm Gonna Teach You."

I was going to vote an 8, but typing my way through it and reliving the first listen makes me know this is a 9! Oo Yeah!

Last edited:
Back