DVD/DTS Poll Parsons, Alan - On Air [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Alan Parsons - ON AIR

• Total voters
"Or maybe we just don't like it." Hey eggplant; you know what they say; Different strokes for different folks!

I rated this disc a 9, and was being a little generous. My true score would be about an 8.5. Out of my 14 AP & APP discs, this comes in at #12. I have been a huge fan of the Alan Parsons Project since I purchased "Pyramid" (at the time, I was captivated by the LP cover in the record store), which remains my number 1. After that, I purchased "I, Robot" (#5) but never heard "Tales Of Mystery & Imagination" (#7) in its entirety until the 2007 remaster series. On Air is a great DTS-CD. For the format, it's limitations, it's the best DTS-CD surround in my collection. The music is great, lyrics, not so much but overall, a very relaxing, entertaining listen. Out of the Alan Parson discs that are non APP records, my favorite is "Try Anything Once" (#3).

I went with a 9. I'd give the mix a 10 but the music is not quite on a par, although quite good. The music is finely crafted despite the rather new-agey lyrics (not really my cup of tea but it's purely subjective). Overall, I like this disc and I think it's a fine piece of work. Some of the sections are demonstration quality, too in terms of audio.

Finally found this one for a decent price. Musically it's a mixed bag, some songs are a bit cheesy in my ears. But the sound quality is really good and the surround mix is great (for me, "Apollo" is really a track for surround sound demonstration). 9

At first, I had trouble warming up to this, but after repeat listens (over the course of, like, 2 years), I've actually grown really fond of this album! I'm giving it a solid 8. Sound and mix are amazing.

This is currently available new for CAD 29.99 at amazon.ca. I haven't seen it that affordable in quite a while. They have 4 left. If you don't have this disc yet, go for it!

This is currently available new for CAD 29.99 at amazon.ca. I haven't seen it that affordable in quite a while. They have 4 left. If you don't have this disc yet, go for it!

That is an excellent value, thanks! But why don't they sell it to America?

I gave this a 9. I saw that particular tour at The Warfield Theatre in SF, CA and it was incredible. I don't care for the techno dance music Parsons but I love all his early stuff through Eye In The Sky. On Air & Try Anything once, to me, are both wonderful returns to his glory days. The song Fall Free, by itself, is worth buying the disc. And yes it is a reference recording. Its phookin Alan Parsons!

Where are his classic records in 5.1? :nuke

I gave this a 9. I saw that particular tour at The Warfield Theatre in SF, CA and it was incredible. I don't care for the techno dance music Parsons but I love all his early stuff through Eye In The Sky. On Air & Try Anything once, to me, are both wonderful returns to his glory days. The song Fall Free, by itself, is worth buying the disc. And yes it is a reference recording. Its phookin Alan Parsons!

Where are his classic records in 5.1? :nuke

And therein lies the rub........Alan Parsons who did such a masterful QUAD remix of DSOTM is sadly lacking in the multichannel arena with his classic albums.

Of course, Analogue Productions is reissuing on phooking Stereo SACD what Classic Records already released some years ago as DVD~A stereo discs, but sadly, Tales of Mystery and Imagination has never, AFAIK, been released on hi res physical disc.

VERY surprising as I'm sure those discs would sell like hotcakes:flame as 5.1 hi res discs. Is a letter writing campaign in order?

And therein lies the rub........Alan Parsons who did such a masterful QUAD remix of DSOTM is sadly lacking in the multichannel arena with his classic albums.

Of course, Analogue Productions is reissuing on phooking Stereo SACD what Classic Records already released some years ago as DVD~A stereo discs, but sadly, Tales of Mystery and Imagination has never, AFAIK, been released on hi res physical disc.

VERY surprising as I'm sure those discs would sell like hotcakes:flame as 5.1 hi res discs. Is a letter writing campaign in order?

The story goes that Alan Parsons went to Arista with the thought of doing his discs for 5.1 DVD-A as well as some Al Stewart stuff (which he actually went ahead and mixed for his demo to them) and Arista said "Don't bother, it's not financially viable".

:(

The story goes that Alan Parsons went to Arista with the thought of doing his discs for 5.1 DVD-A as well as some Al Stewart stuff (which he actually went ahead and mixed for his demo to them) and Arista said "Don't bother, it's not financially viable".

Considering some of the crap that was released in 5.1, Arista's short~sightedness in not allowing Parsons, whose albums were TOP sellers then and to a lesser extent now, to remix his CLASSIC discography in multichannel, is another travesty. Now that Arista is under the arm of SONY, surprised that Parsons doesn't approach SONY with the proposition again especially with the recent resurgence of 4.0 and 5.1 product......unless Parsons has given up the quest....altogether!

I think we ALL know they'd be TOP sellers in hi res 5.1.

Ah, I didn't notice! That blows. Well, if anybody from outside Canada wants one, PM me. I won't mind buying and shipping to you. With the Canadian Dollar in the toilet, it's probably the cheapest we'll see this in a long while, especially the non-Canadians. :)

But what a demo it is! ;)

But what a demo it is! ;)

You've obviously heard it, RT......care to comment? I'm ALL ears:music

And it's not surprising that Arista/RCA deterred Parsons from remixing his catalogue into 5.1 on DVD~A since RCA only released a handful of DVD~As before pulling the plug on that format altogether

There's a lot of glowing opinions on them in this thread, and I have to agree with them: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...f-the-Cat-and-Time-Passages&highlight=Stewart

:)

"Oh Lord would you buy me a Mercedes Benz........" Thanks for the link, RT. I just leased my second MB but doubtful they have any more of those DVD~As in stock. Wouldn't hurt to try......betcha those MB salesmen are using them for coasters!:yikes Would so love to hear "Year of the :kitty: in SURROUND!

Here's hoping a small audiophile label such as Panegyric might take up this cause. TOMAI and I Robot would be stuning in 5.1.

"Oh Lord would you buy me a Mercedes Benz........" Thanks for the link, RT. I just leased my second MB but doubtful they have any more of those DVD~As in stock. Wouldn't hurt to try......betcha those MB salesmen are using them for coasters!:yikes Would so love to hear "Year of the :kitty: in SURROUND!

Hey guys, the Al Stewart tracks aren't actually on the Mercedes Benz disc. From what I understand, somebody at our forum knew somebody at Mercedes around the time that disc came out, who knew somebody else who was able to pull some strings, so when our forum member got the Mercedes Benz disc, (s)he also had the opportunity to listen to the two Al Stewart tracks.

Rumour has it that some other people among us have since had the chance to listen to those tracks as well. ;-)

1. Seal ā€œAmazingā€
3. Lady Gaga ā€œPoker Faceā€
4. James Blunt ā€œYouā€™re Beautifulā€
5. Jason Derulo ā€œIn My Headā€
6. Nikka Costa ā€œChase The Thrillā€
7. Sting ā€œEvery Breath You Takeā€
8. The Doobie Brothers ā€œLong Train Runninā€™ā€
9. Creedence Clearwater Revival ā€œHave You Ever Seen The Rain?ā€
10. Sheryl Crow ā€œEveryday Is A Winding Roadā€
11. Fine Young Cannibals ā€œShe Drives Me Crazyā€
12. Alanis Morissette ā€œIronicā€
13. Alex Max Band ā€œTonightā€
14. Yes ā€œOwner Of A Lonely Heartā€œ
15. Tears For Fears ā€œShoutā€

16. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart ā€œViolin Concerto K 218ā€
17. Ludwig van Beethoven ā€œSymphony No. 5ā€
18. Hector Berlioz ā€œSymphonie Fantastiqueā€
19. AntonĆ­n DvorĆ”k ā€œSymphony No. 9ā€
20. Ludwig van Beethoven ā€œSymphony No. 9ā€
21. Edvard Grieg ā€œPeer Gynt Suite No. 1ā€
22. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky ā€œEugene Oneginā€ Polonaise
23. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky ā€œEugene Oneginā€ Waltz
24. Modest Mussorgsky/Maurice Ravel ā€œPictures at an Exhibitionā€ Baba-Yaga
25. Modest Mussorgsky/Maurice Ravel ā€œPictures at an Exhibitionā€ Great Gate of Kiev

that's the list of tracks from MB Signature Sound DVD-A.
i wish someone will issue "Pendulum" CCR if album was mixed into surround.

These mixes came about as Alan was signed by Miramar to release Time Machine, and Al Stewart was also on the label. He was going to do a remix of the Miramar artists for a DVDA sampler. Miramar came to screeching halt and he had these in the can. He gave these out to some friends as he got paid to do them and thought it was silly they sit. Miramar was gone for music and not coming back. Alan's valid path is one of total use of the canvas. We discussed how the mix came about for Cat and he said he had no idea how to start with the piano intro. Once he decided to try the back entry it worked perfectly. Knew it would be odd for the stereo crowd but that meant nada, nothing. He mixes for the whole canvas which allows for much more fun immersive mixes. I know Time Machine is done, perhaps we shall get to hear that one. And perhaps a rerelease of On Air. He is up for that i know. The APP stuff has always been a hassle, and he never had access to the multi masters. Not sure that changed when Eric passed. And Sony now owns the catalog. I will try and see if anything has changed.

You've obviously heard it, RT......care to comment? I'm ALL ears:music

And it's not surprising that Arista/RCA deterred Parsons from remixing his catalogue into 5.1 on DVD~A since RCA only released a handful of DVD~As before pulling the plug on that format altogether

I doubt the format had anything to do with the decision.

These mixes came about as Alan was signed by Miramar to release Time Machine, and Al Stewart was also on the label. He was going to do a remix of the Miramar artists for a DVDA sampler. Miramar came to screeching halt and he had these in the can. He gave these out to some friends as he got paid to do them and thought it was silly they sit. Miramar was gone for music and not coming back. Alan's valid path is one of total use of the canvas. We discussed how the mix came about for Cat and he said he had no idea how to start with the piano intro. Once he decided to try the back entry it worked perfectly. Knew it would be odd for the stereo crowd but that meant nada, nothing. He mixes for the whole canvas which allows for much more fun immersive mixes. I know Time Machine is done, perhaps we shall get to hear that one. And perhaps a rerelease of On Air. He is up for that i know. The APP stuff has always been a hassle, and he never had access to the multi masters. Not sure that changed when Eric passed. And Sony now owns the catalog. I will try and see if anything has changed.

Thanks Tad. Folks, Tad would know. Trust me on that.

(Plus, he got the label right. I thought it was Arista. My bad.)

Back