DVD/DTS Poll Parsons, Alan - The Secret [DTS DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the ADVD of Alan Parsons - THE SECRET

• Total voters
I quite like this album - love The Sorcerer's Apprentice , a fine opening ( if a little out of place with the rest of the album) but as mentioned by others there's too many ballads , Miracle and As Lights Fall are very strong tracks and I like One Note Symphony but after that it does begin to drag a little , could have done with another instrumental to break things up - but its a good surround mix - I will go for an 8 overall.

A 6 I'm afraid, despite slick production and all. material feels forced and uninspired mostly
I grew up with tales, ravens, robots and pyramids. Still love them.
From then onwards, Alan's albums became more filler than masterpieces in my view. Some only had a single salavageable tune even. Bought them as LPs, then as CDs all over again. HD remasters now yet again.
Even got the I robot sacd (stereo). I'm a fan.

Decades later, I've realised my time feels worth now more than it used to back then (clock is ticking) so albums with two mediocre tracks and the rest filler don't cut it anymore.

'Show me a miracle' said he. Keep looking dude..

I agree with a lot of what JohnA said about this disc but I did like AP’s previous efforts without the Project. My favorite being “Try Anything Once”. There are some good tunes on those other discs but nothing too memorable.

My take on “The Secret” is there are absolutely no songs that grab me or are memorable. Plus, the vocalists with the exception of Lou Gramm, are boring. Where’s the punch of dynamics from this album? I feel they’re MIA. Overall, the mix isn’t good on most songs either (bleeding drum tracks in the rear and instruments that should remain in the front. Also, like another surround disc in my collection (Styx - The Mission), it sounds, out of phase.

Giving this disc a 6 is being generous. One of the worse albums in my collection. I’m giving it a ‘2’, and that’s being generous.

If I had to choose one track that shows potential, it would be “Years Of Glory”. Otherwise, the album sounds like the soundtrack to a movie like Frozen...LOL

I really enjoyed this album. TSA opening wakes you up for the ballads to come. ;)
I am a ballad lover so no complaints there.
SQ is excellent, detailed and smooth without being over arranged.
Excellent DR 14 dynamics, not all the life squished out of it.
They should all sound this good, I'll give it a 10. Personal musical taste shouldn't enter into things.
BTW, I absolutely love the closer, I Can't Get There From Here.
What a beautiful song!

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what JohnA said about this disc but I did like AP’s previous efforts without the Project. My favorite being “Try Anything Once”. There are some good tunes on those other discs but nothing too memorable.

My take on “The Secret” is there are absolutely no songs that grab me or are memorable. Plus, the vocalists with the exception of Lou Gramm, are boring. Where’s the punch of dynamics from this album? I feel they’re MIA. Overall, the mix isn’t good on most songs either (bleeding drum tracks in the rear and instruments that should remain in the front. Also, like another surround disc in my collection (Styx - The Mission), it sounds, out of phase.

Giving this disc a 6 is being generous. One of the worse albums in my collection. I’m giving it a ‘2’, and that’s being generous.

If I had to choose one track that shows potential, it would be “Years Of Glory”. Otherwise, the album sounds like the soundtrack to a movie like Frozen...LOL
I could not agree more. Completely uninspiring work.

I couldn't disagree more. I enjoyed it, start to finish. His rendition of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" was excellent, and I quite enjoyed the songs. Hey, everybody's tastes are different. Undisputable fact. My 9 rating, though, was based solely on the surround presentation. Parsons is a master of the mix.

I love every Alan Parsons Project album, I also love the first 4 Alan Parsons solo albums, this is his worst album ever but still good, not great, I gave it 8 for the music and 10 for the surround sound, making it an overall score of 9

I have owned this since it came out. I can remember listening to it and being underwhelmed by the songs.
The fidelity is quite good, as is the Parsons surround mix.
I'd give this a 6.

I still like it more than 'On Air.

Fan-freaking-tastic! I liked most of the songs on the first listen. The surround mix is absolutely excellent for a 5.1 album. With Neural X engaged on my 11.1.6 system, I would have thought it was in Atmos! I don’t get the rather low ratings. Surround doesn’t get much better. For all the praise on these forums for Steve Wilson mixing, I wasn’t impressed by the Tears For Fears Songs From The he Big Chair 5.1 mix. This album, however is in a whole different level of mixing perfection! Alan Parsons is The Man! He should be doing all the Pink Floyd surround mixes. His quad mixes were excellent and this is as about as good as 5.1 can sound, IMO. 10.0!

I could not agree more. Completely uninspiring work.

Jesus wept. :rolleyes:

Honestly, it’s hard to believe some of the above comments. I just listened to The Pineapple Thief’s Versions of the Truth and almost fell asleep it was so boring and yet all the high ratings for it and bad ones here. So strange.

Jesus wept. :rolleyes:

Honestly, it’s hard to believe some of the above comments. I just listened to The Pineapple Thief’s Versions of the Truth and almost fell asleep it was so boring and yet all the high ratings for it and bad ones here. So strange.
Versions of the Truth boring? Great Gavin drums, great surround mix, specially the acoustic versions. Maybe Bruce's voice and melodies can be somewhat bland, but after several listenings I cannot live without it.

Anyway, I will have to listen "The secret". Being long time Alan Parsons fan, but I didn't started with "The secret" yet.

Versions of the Truth boring? Great Gavin drums, great surround mix, specially the acoustic versions. Maybe Bruce's voice and melodies can be somewhat bland, but after several listenings I cannot live without it.

Anyway, I will have to listen "The secret". Being long time Alan Parsons fan, but I didn't started with "The secret" yet.

I liked the title track, but the rest didn't move me on the first listen. Of course, some albums need several listens and I didn't check out the alternate takes yet either. It was more about The Secret having several songs I liked on the first time through, which is unusual for most albums. But then that doesn't mean they will be favorites long term either. The surround mix was excellent, regardless.

Back