HiRez Poll Pastorius, Jaco Big Band - THE WORD IS OUT [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Jaco Pastorius - THE WORD IS OUT

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 title! (y) :phones (n)

What a great disc! I give it a 10. Excellent, discrete mix - especially for a big band like this - a very wide soundstage and the rears are very active. For those of you not familiar with Jaco - well you probably have heard him or his influence many times, you are missing out on one of the most important musicians/composers of the last 30 years. Not only did he revolutionize the way that the bass is played, but his abilities as a composer are clearly evident on this and the previous Jaco big band release "Word Of Mouth Revisited. "

For the uninitiated, Jaco, the self proclaimed worlds greatest bass player - at age 18 ("its not bragging if its true") replaced Alphonse Mouzon in Weather Report and went on to be a major influence on that band through it's most popular records. He went on to play with Pat Metheny, Joni Mitchell and of course his own big band Word Of Mouth. Many of the original members from that project are in the new band and the playing is stellar. This is not one of those "tribute" records - the charts and recording are exceptional. These are full out contemporary big band arrangements - great bass playing no doubt from the today's best players, but they hold up more importantly as great ensemble songs. Unfortunately Jaco came to an untimely and tragic death brought on by drug abuse and mental illness - but this music is quite the opposite - vibrant and complex. Highly recommended(y)

Great album, more polished mix than the first release (which was mixed "on the fly," according to Heads Up President Dave Love).

Highly recommended!

Jaco Pastorius Big Band: The Word Is Out! (2006) is a good big band release, the second of two multichannel SACDs by the JPBB. The band is spread all around you, making for a lively surround experience.

My favorite track is #4, "Beaver Patrol" with the amazing Victor Wooten on bass. Other favorites are tracks 2, 6, and 10. Number 11, "Reza" features Jaco himself on bass through the marvels of modern technology.

Altogether, I give it an 9. Played this a lot when I first got it, had not played it for a long time and should give it a spin more often.

The other JPBB surround SACD is "Word of Mouth Revisited" (2003) -- which follows a similar musical path but uses the surrounds mainly for occasional punch. If you like your rears more active, you'll likely prefer "The Word is Out".

At the risk of veering too far off topic, if you like Jaco-style bass be sure to grab a copy of Brian Bromberg's tribute album "Jaco" on DVD-A -- one of my favorite jazz surround discs.

Mark Z

Last edited:
Great to see this title pop up! I have been neglecting this gem and have added it to my "to play" list. Thanks for the reminder! If this is still available, it would make an excellent addition to anyone's jazz mc collection. Don't be afraid of the "big band" tag - there is some great straight out playin' goin on here!

One left in stock via Amazon - for $15.99 - great price!

http://www.amazon.com/Word-Mouth-Revisited-Jaco-Pastorius/dp/B0000ALFZJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1371526991&sr=1-1&keywords=word+of+mouth+revisited+sacd

Jaco Pastorius Big Band: The Word Is Out! (2006) is a good big band release, the second of two multichannel SACDs by the JPBB. The band is spread all around you, making for a lively surround experience.

My favorite track is #4, "Beaver Patrol" with the amazing Victor Wooten on bass. Other favorites are tracks 2, 6, and 10. Number 11, "Reza" features Jaco himself on bass through the marvels of modern technology.

Altogether, I give it an 9. Played this a lot when I first got it, had not played it for a long time and should give it a spin more often.

The other JPBB surround SACD is "Word of Mouth Revisited" (2003) -- which follows a similar musical path but uses the surrounds mainly for occasional punch. If you like your rears more active, you'll likely prefer "The Word is Out".

At the risk of veering too far off topic, if you like Jaco-style bass be sure to grab a copy of Brian Bromberg's tribute album "Jaco" on DVD-A -- one of my favorite jazz surround discs.

Mark Z

Yes! This is another exceptional Heads Up surround disc!

the surround is more subtle than some of the Spyro Gyra things for example but still very effective and the performances are stellar.

I agree too Mark this later disc has more pronounced discrete surround than the earlier "Word of Mouth Revisited" (which is also well worth getting, imho).

Great to hear you mention the Brian Bromberg Jaco DVD-A (its related so you shouldn't feel bad for going OT!) it has just about the most pristine fidelity I've ever heard (just a shame its a bit "overloud".. seems odd to record something so beautifully only to maximise it in mastering..crank it ye can not!) but still worth investing in too, though I don't know how often it comes up cheaply these days!? (**)

(** edit: the Bromberg/Jaco DVD-A is common all over again! when I was looking for it they'd gotten rare as hen's teeth and just as pricey! now they're everywhere! yeay! :eek:)

Back