Pat Metheny ECM Albums Newly Remastered for HD Streaming/Download

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is great news, as long as the flac files are not compressed too much. They're using Christoph Stickel who Mastered the Japanese SACDs for Tower ECM which I know sound amazing!

ECM’s full statement from mastering engineer Christoph Stickel says:

“The main premise in digitizing the Pat Metheny tapes was not to change the sound of the recordings, but to realize them in the original form, in the best possible quality. The work was based on the original, analogue stereo master tapes. The masters are in very good condition and can be played without problems. All tapes were played by a Studer A820, which was meticulously calibrated to the respective tape. The analog signal was digitized in 96kHz/24-bit, which covers the complete spectrum of the original bands. In each case, a decision was made between a PrismSound ADA-8XR, an Antelope Eclipse Mastering AD, and a Mytek Brooklyn ADC, depending on which one suited best the respective recording. No de-noising and no other restoration affecting the sound was carried out.”

Humprof, if ANY albums are truly worthy of 5.1 Remixes, it's certainly Pat Metheny [and Lyle Mays] magnificent/densely layered ECM output!

As Falls Wichita would be especially well suited. (It already sounds okay through the Dolby Surround Upmixer.) Hmm...who do we know that likes to play around with Penteo...?

As Falls Wichita would be especially well suited. (It already sounds okay through the Dolby Surround Upmixer.) Hmm...who do we know that likes to play around with Penteo...?
Well opportunities abound out there for sure, but it has more to do with how it was recorded than to its Sound Quality for a great Up-mix.

Well opportunities abound out there for sure, but it has more to do with how it was recorded than to its Sound Quality for a great Up-mix.

Would love for an Elliot Scheiner or Steve Wilson to get ahold of those Metheny ECM multitracks...and like humprof think As Falls Wichita would be an uncannily magnificent candidate for the 5.1 treatment!

See the source image

Excellent news! Thank you humprof... I just ordered these 5:

American Garage (Pat Metheny Group)
Bright Size Life (Pat Metheny)
As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls (Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays)
Watercolors (Pat Metheny)
Offramp (Pat Metheny Group)

I may put a few in my purchase queue, as well. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying them on Tidal (which I decided to extend for just one month more beyond the free trial...)

Last edited:
BSL sounds terrific! Travels less so but I don't know that release as well and I have lots of internet live Pat Metheny in varying SQ-reserve judgement on that one.

BSL sounds terrific! Travels less so but I don't know that release as well and I have lots of internet live Pat Metheny in varying SQ-reserve judgement on that one.
I agree, probably due to it being a live album, it never seemed to have the discrete dynamics of the studio albums.

Back