BluRay Music Video Poll Pat Metheny - THE ORCHESTRION PROJECT [Dolby TrueHD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Pat Metheny - THE ORCHESTRION PROJECT

• 9:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
please post your thoughts and comments on this Blu-Ray release, also viewable in 3D! :yikes

Pat Meteny Project 500.jpg

I was wondering when this would happen. Not that I dislike the idea, but here is another short lived format. I see it is losing ground in sales. (3-d format) and people are just not buying it - just like our beloved quad/sacd/dvd-a.

I was wondering when this would happen. Not that I dislike the idea, but here is another short lived format. I see it is losing ground in sales. (3-d format) and people are just not buying it - just like our beloved quad/sacd/dvd-a.

This has already happened - most recently the Peter Gabriel "New Blood" and Joe Satriani "Live In Montreal" BD's (both in 3D/2D) . All titles including the Metheny are stellar in either 3D or 2D.

Wow, this is a very interesting view (and listen). It's basically a one man show, with Pat Metheney on guitar, and a whole bunch of instruments controlled by computer. It's quite facinating. He controls everything with his feet and the guitar itself! Pianos, Xylophones, percussion, a banjo, a guitar, and a whole lot of other things that are activated by solenoids.

For example, when he hits a string on the guitar, the xylophone follows. There are so many things making sounds, it's hard to understand just what it going on, but the end result is quite amazing.

I'm going to run with it a few more times, then will comment further. I think, however, this would be something most members who are musicians would be very interested in watching.

well I for one hope 3D BD continues! when it's done well, it's brilliant. I've got about 30 titles in the format so far, mostly blockbusters & CG things but they are continuing in a steady stream this Autumn/Winter, with things like Titanic, Avatar, Prometheus, etc., all being high profile (and amazing in 3D!) recent releases, so if it is on its way out, it's going with a bang!

I'll certainly get this, the Peter Gabriel and the Satriani 3D blu-rays.

OK. Here's the deal.

A very interesting Blu-Ray disc. The 3D is OK, but not needed. Once you get used to seeing the "stage" setup (it's really the entire floor of an old church), it's pretty much the same through the whole disc (obviously). The acoustic guitar on the stand that plays itself is kinda cool sticking out there in 3D (Not the one stuck on the wall with the banjo), but really, 3D is pretty much inconsequential with this one.

The extras are cool. They explain the setup, how it was put together, and well worth a view. However, I have to say, the 5.1 mix is pretty tame. I expected a LOT more. You figure, here's a music setup that has no boundries, there's really no stage, it's just a guy with a guitar surrounded by a lot of musical devices. I would have liked to have those musical devices spread around the listening area. When the guitar on the stand in front plays it's repeating passage in the track "Sueño con México", I would have liked that to be solo in a rear speaker, as should be the case throughout the disc when so many different unusual instruments are playing. I hardly noticed anything going on in the rears. When I get a chance, I may AudioMuxer out the 5.1 track and look at the wav's and listen to them independantly.

I understand the concept of a "mix", and creating that stereo mix is an art and all, but for something as unusual as this disc, I would have liked to have an "in the middle" mix, as opposed to a front-centric, ambience in the rears mix.

So, I have to give this a lower mark, although the concept may be a 10, the surround mix, from me, only gets a 5! It should probably get lower. The music itself is great. That's probably why I'm so disappointed.

I'd like to hear from other people who hear this disc. Yes, my Oppo was set to 5.1/7.1, and my receiver clearly displayed 'DolbyTrueHD'. A actually hit the AUDIO button on the Oppo remote a couple of times just to verify I had the proper audio track.

Sadly, a disappointment. Still, a very worthy watch, if just for the implementation

OK. Here's the deal.

A very interesting Blu-Ray disc. The 3D is OK, but not needed. Once you get used to seeing the "stage" setup (it's really the entire floor of an old church), it's pretty much the same through the whole disc (obviously). The acoustic guitar on the stand that plays itself is kinda cool sticking out there in 3D (Not the one stuck on the wall with the banjo), but really, 3D is pretty much inconsequential with this one.

The extras are cool. They explain the setup, how it was put together, and well worth a view. However, I have to say, the 5.1 mix is pretty tame. I expected a LOT more. You figure, here's a music setup that has no boundries, there's really no stage, it's just a guy with a guitar surrounded by a lot of musical devices. I would have liked to have those musical devices spread around the listening area. When the guitar on the stand in front plays it's repeating passage in the track "Sueño con México", I would have liked that to be solo in a rear speaker, as should be the case throughout the disc when so many different unusual instruments are playing. I hardly noticed anything going on in the rears. When I get a chance, I may AudioMuxer out the 5.1 track and look at the wav's and listen to them independantly.

I understand the concept of a "mix", and creating that stereo mix is an art and all, but for something as unusual as this disc, I would have liked to have an "in the middle" mix, as opposed to a front-centric, ambience in the rears mix.

So, I have to give this a lower mark, although the concept may be a 10, the surround mix, from me, only gets a 5! It should probably get lower.

I'd like to hear from other people who hear this disc. Yes, my Oppo was set to 5.1/7.1, and my receiver clearly displayed 'DolbyTrueHD'. A actually hit the AUDIO button on the Oppo remote a couple of times just to verify I had the proper audio track.

Sadly, a disappointment. Still, a very worth watch, if just for the implementation

Jon - I have to say that on repeated listens, perhaps my enthusiasm got the better of me - on the mix that is. Still, I find it a completely exhilarating experience - but respect your perpective. I agree that the mix could have been a bit more involved but the overall warmth, fidelity and space keeps it a winner for me.

Elmer - It IS a great disc, and the content is fine, the viewing is facinating, it's just not a real good surround mix, which is a major shame. Too bad they did not do it like AIX does, a stage mix, and a concert hall mix. That would have been sweet.

I voted 10, because this is just, overall, a killer experience and I think it's a must.
I agree the 7.1 mix is a bit tame and a bonkers mix would have been very cool. Maybe they tried that and it sounded bad for some reason?
Anyway, I didn't even notice the mix while viewing. I just enjoyed the experience. Seeing a great musician jamming out to an Orchestrion of this magnitude is just incredible.
I was able to view in 3D. I agree, the 3D isn't necessary, but is well-done and cool if you can view it that way. This will play in 2D if 3D isn't your thing.

Back