Quad LP/Tape Poll Paul, Billy: 360 Degrees Of Billy Paul [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "360 Degrees"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Soul singer's 1972 breakthrough album.

Side 1:

1. Brown Baby
2. I'm Just A Prisoner
3. It's Too Late
4. Me And Mrs. Jones

Side 2:

1. Am I Black Enough For You?
2. Let's Stay Together
3. Your Song
4. I'm Gonna Make It This Time

Attachments

• Billy Paul 360 Degrees.jpg
    Billy Paul 360 Degrees.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 421
Nice mix, as in the tradition of Columbia and affilates. Too bad they didn't use the same sessions and vocal takes, especially on Jones.
Maybe with some tough work it's possible to sync the quad and stereo tapes and do a frankestein mix with the good vocals. SQ is out of the question for these projects.

One of the better SQ titles I've heard to date.

Not an overly aggressive mix, but a well done mix, none the less.

A 7 from me.

Update: the SQ doesn't do justice to the mix.
The Q8 is simply AMAZING and doing a good cut/paste to replace the wrong start on M&MJ, listen to this only fronts... it's the most moving version ever heard.
A tape that truly shines; 9 just for the wrong vocal take on M&MJ otherwise it would has been a 10.

Great mix! It's pretty solid in SQ- you can clear hear the intros to "Brown Baby" and "Am I Black Enough For You?" coming from the rears, as well as the drums positioned right rear in "Me & Mrs. Jones". The Q8 really takes it to the next level though, and the fidelity is quite impressive.

I like the album- the soul covers of "It's Too Late" and "Let's Stay Together" are actually pretty nice. I'm not really familiar enough with "Mrs. Jones" to notice the alternate vocal- it sounds great to me. "I'm Just A Prisoner" kinda drags on, but aside from that it's a great listen!

Solid 9. Would LOVE if D-V tackled this one and "War Of The Gods" as a two-fer.

Back