HiRez Poll Paul, Billy - 360 DEGREES OF BILLY PAUL & WAR OF THE GODS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Billy Paul - 360 DEGREES OF BILLY PAUL & WAR OF THE GODS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
yeah but they're all 10's.. ;)

I certainly voted a 10 and purchased all of the QUADs D~V released over the past two months and can certainly attest to their excellence but still, over 100 posters recently voted on whether downloads would be a viable option.

just sayin'

It took a while for mine to arrive from the UK and then I needed to make time to listen to the entire album.
At first I was a little disappointed. I liked the mix but it lacked bottom end. Then I realized that my sub-woofer
was turned off and that this was 4.1 audio. I can now say I agree with everyone else so far. This is a solid 10.

It took a while for mine to arrive from the UK and then I needed to make time to listen to the entire album.
At first I was a little disappointed. I liked the mix but it lacked bottom end. Then I realized that my sub-woofer
was turned off and that this was 4.1 audio. I can now say I agree with everyone else so far. This is a solid 10.
I too am a sub nut......but lately, I've realized that my Klipsch handle bass just fine...and I often turn off bass management and just let my Klipsch fly....and on this title, I still hear a lot of bass. :)

I have to give this one a “8”. Great Dutton quality and value, as always. “Gods” is an album I’ve never heard before and it is very, very good with a great 70s quad mix. If it was that album alone I’d probably be giving it a 9 or a 10

But I have to knock it down a notch for 3 things about the first disc —I don’t like the drums-in-the-corner mix. And the alternate-take vocal used on Me & Mrs Jones means I’m not hearing some of my all time favorite vocal ad-libs at the end of the song. No high note on the “missus” during the break? How can I sing along properly with that? :)

And also, while I like the takes he did on the other cover tunes, that has the be the worst version of “Your Song” I’ve ever heard.

I haven't listened to it thoroughly enough just yet – so I won't vote just now. But what I came here to say is this: Wowza. So far it sounds incredibly detailed. So much so that even my Girlfriend, who's not into surround sound at all, came in to ask if this was a re-recording or if this was really the original. Pretty amazing stuff to say the least.

Ok Just had this in from Blighty, Lived in Northamptonshire before migrating to the States, listened to few tracks before we took a break and watched the Formula 1 series on Netflix which is great. So now listening to the 2 cd,s and I am amazed at how good this is the sound is crisp detailed spacious and kicks Bass when it needs to. Im giving it a 10 but wish we could add a + because this one is making me dream of the Spinners, Stylistics, Ojays please Dutton release more 70,s Soul. I have added Hues Corporation and Breakaway to my cart so will be ordering again soon, any suggestions on any other title?.
Quick question are these 4.0 or 4.1 mix?.

Ok Just had this in from Blighty, Lived in Northamptonshire before migrating to the States, listened to few tracks before we took a break and watched the Formula 1 series on Netflix which is great. So now listening to the 2 cd,s and I am amazed at how good this is the sound is crisp detailed spacious and kicks Bass when it needs to. Im giving it a 10 but wish we could add a + because this one is making me dream of the Spinners, Stylistics, Ojays please Dutton release more 70,s Soul. I have added Hues Corporation and Breakaway to my cart so will be ordering again soon, any suggestions on any other title?.
Quick question are these 4.0 or 4.1 mix?.
4.0 I'm pretty sure. Recommend everything in the catalogue, these releases are all superb! Breakaway is marvelous you're going to enjoy it a great deal.

My D-V order of Chase, Garfunkel/Breakaway, and this Billy Paul arrived this past Monday. Upon arrival, I cranked the Chase and was totally blown away by the mix and sonics. Billy Paul was up next, but by the time I got to it, my wife and daughter got home, so I had to tone down the volume. I was only able to listen to 360 Degrees and I was a bit disappointed. Nothing seemed to jump out at me and scream 'this is fantastic'.

Finally got the chance to spin War of the Gods today (actually right now) and was immediately blown away by I See The Light. This quad mix is certainly fantastic and I love it. I know that Larry Keyes has done some really incredible quad mixes, but I have to say that Carl Paruolo's quad mix of War Of The Gods totally tops his 360 Degrees mix.

I'll have to relisten to 360 Degrees before I vote, but it would be a 10 if it was for War Of The Gods alone!

My D-V order of Chase, Garfunkel/Breakaway, and this Billy Paul arrived this past Monday. Upon arrival, I cranked the Chase and was totally blown away by the mix and sonics. Billy Paul was up next, but by the time I got to it, my wife and daughter got home, so I had to tone down the volume. I was only able to listen to 360 Degrees and I was a bit disappointed. Nothing seemed to jump out at me and scream 'this is fantastic'.

Finally got the chance to spin War of the Gods today (actually right now) and was immediately blown away by I See The Light. This quad mix is certainly fantastic and I love it. I know that Larry Keyes has done some really incredible quad mixes, but I have to say that Carl Paruolo's quad mix of War Of The Gods totally tops his 360 Degrees mix.

I'll have to relisten to 360 Degrees before I vote, but it would be a 10 if it was for War Of The Gods alone!

I know they are sold as a 2 pack...but it's shame the polls are constructed that way..just saying...it's asking a lot for 2 albums to both be 10's...

When I get around to rating these two-fers, either on video or in the polls, my plan is to do so based on the stronger album only.
I consider the second album bonus tracks, basically.
I'll have to go back and check whether I did that for Rick Derringer or not!

When I get around to rating these two-fers, either on video or in the polls, my plan is to do so based on the stronger album only.
I consider the second album bonus tracks, basically.
I'll have to go back and check whether I did that for Rick Derringer or not!
That's certainly one way to look at it, Mike. I can listen to I See The Light and War of The Gods on repeat forever they sound so freakin' good.

I know that Larry Keyes has done some really incredible quad mixes, but I have to say that Carl Paruolo's quad mix of War Of The Gods totally tops his 360 Degrees mix.

I’m inclined to agree with you, though I like them both. According to the liners, Gods was destined for quad release from the outset while 360 Degrees was a “retrofit” done after the stereo release, so that may account for the difference.

360 Degrees also sounds much more like a “remix” compared to the original, while Gods sounds just like the stereo mix, only bigger and better.

The crown jewel of the Philadelphia International quad releases IMO is Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes’ Black & Blue. Let’s hope we see that one on SACD in the near-future...

Last edited:
Back