Quad LP/Tape Poll Paul, Billy: War Of The Gods [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "War of the Gods"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 Fairly mediocre everything

• 1: Why did they bother?

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Philadelphia International ZQ/ZAQ 32409, from 1973. Nominee for most hideous album cover in history of quad releases.....:D

Side 1:

1. I See The Light
2. War of The Gods

Side 2:

1. The Whole Town's Talking
2. I Was Married
3. Thanks For Saving My Life
4. Peace Holy Peace

The Q8 has "Thanks" (the single) moved to the end of Program 1, hence one less song on Program 2 to even out the timings.

ED :)

I gave this a 3. I have a Q8 and SQ of this. The mix and recording are great. I like the title track, which is overblown and way too long. Billy has a great, soulful voice. Unless you're a completist, avoid this. Stick w/360 Degrees which has Me & Mrs. Jones or the live SQ. The cover is your hint that this one is to be avoided.

Linda
We Got a Thing Goin' On

$(KGrHqF,!jcE9KySKwZNBPV(Drir2g~~60_35.JPG

I'm a Soul Head so this album is pure candy for me. I respectfully have to disagree with Linda here. I can appreciate her opinion of course, but this album is full of deep cuts and I much prefer it to 360 Degrees Of Billy Paul, which I also like a lot. There isn't really any huge radio friendly hits here but it is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. Extra long Soul tracks don't bother me one bit. Isaac Hayes and The Temptations have also recorded some and I love them all. You could say it's a rainy day album.

The mix is very rich. I have both the SQ (which is surprisingly excellent) and the Q8 and both offer a solid and entertaining musical experience. I prefer the Q8 for its full on discrete presentation. Buying second hand Q8 tapes is a crap shoot in this day and age, but I lucked out and this baby sounds real smoove.

As for the cover, I'll respectfully disagree once more. It's an artistic view of the times it was created in. I'll take this over the cover of Blind Faith any day. End of... ;)

I voted 9.

This is an album I'll be playing regularly. Love it!

Er,

hmmm. What's wrong with that cover ? Looks exceptionally artful to me.

Bit of a Dali take , me thinks. Nothing wrong with that. Oh well to each 'is 'n 'er own tastes.

Additionally, FWIW : A well respected British audio mag in the late 70's claimed all of Billy Paul's stereo discs decoded exceptionally well through a SQ decoder . Interesting tid bit .:music

Back