HiRez Poll Paul Revere & The Raiders - HARD 'N' HEAVY & INDIAN RESERVATION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Paul Revere & The Raiders - HARD 'N' HEAVY & INDIAN RESERVATION

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I voted a 9 - it's another great Dutton release. I still have to pinch myself every time one of these Columbia quads makes it out of the vault...

Indian Reservation: I've always thought this would make a great D-V release for a number of reasons (Sony-controlled title, hit song, good quad mix, etc), so it's very cool to see it finally materialize. I still think some of the material's pretty weak, but the fun quad mix really elevates the album for me. I described the mix here, so I won't go into detail again - it's probably one of my favorites mix-wise out of that original CBS 'gold-bordered' series of quad LPs, so I'm thrilled to have it off the master tape with the MD touch. My favorite tune off this one would have to be "Take Me Home", followed closely by either the title track or "The Shape Of Things To Come".

Hard 'n' Heavy: Getting any unreleased quad title out is a win in my book, and I'm floored that they went the extra mile and got Mark Wilder to finish the album, but I don't think I'll be returning to this very often - I'm just not digging the bubblegum vibe, and the quad mix is nowhere near as good as Reservation (though I agree that the two remixed tracks stand head-and-shoulders above the rest). Still, I think they deserve major kudos for making this a two-fer when it didn't have to be.

"Indian Reservation":
res_sacd.jpg

"Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon":
sun_sacd.jpg

Last edited:
Great discrete quad mixes and some cool tunes. Fidelity is generally really good. I read that "Indian Reservation" was a hit, so I started with that one... at first I was I like "what the f*** is this?", but than the chorus started and that deep tom fill rolled across the rear channels... "yeah, baby, this is cool." Tunes that really do it for me include the one I just mentioned, "Hard and Heavy 5 String Soul Banjo", "Mr. Sun Mr. Moon", "Time After Time", "Take Me Home", "Without You", and "The Turkey" (although "The Turkey" needed a major bass boost in the left rear channel). I'm giving this a 9.

Fidelity is a mixed up n down varies between songs mix is ok content so so yea its bubble gummy but hey its from 1969

2 albums 1 disc so im giving this one 8 n appreciate the effort

Fidelity is a mixed up n down varies between songs mix is ok content so so yea its bubble gummy but hey its from 1969

2 albums 1 disc so im giving this one 8 n appreciate the effort
Yes, "Hard and Heavy with Marshmallow" is very bubble gummy I suspect that is why it was never released as quad album. I suspect that at the time they were still experimenting with quad mixing techniques, and so made some odd (experimental) mixing choices. I loved that style of music as a kid (and still do) but Columbia wasn't marketing quad to kids I'm sure. With "Indian Reservation" they shortened the name and altered their sound so to be not so bubble gummy!

Last edited:
This Band has always been interesting. They start off as 1960s Garage band punk. Then continue as Bubble gum pop, but always with depth, and then matured as more adult mainstream rock pop. They knew what they were doing and just did it.
Anyway, that’s how I remember experiencing them as a kid with an AM transistor radio. For me, they always had great songs, and I still have many of their 45s. Later on, I recall The Raiders “Indian Reservation” SQ record for sale at Sears, Concord, California store, along with a ton of good Quad gear.
A great miracle to get unreleased Quad, as others have mentioned. It’s also interesting to hear the “Indian Reservation” album in surround without any hint of SQ encoding. I almost miss it. Great to have this with excellent surround sound quality.

Back