Paul Simon 4.0 and 5.1 Albums as Audio Fidelity Reissue Candidates?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
It is my understanding that Rhymin' Simon does not want his music released in multichannel...I voted a 9 on this disc because it surprised me and the more I have played it the more some songs have grown on me...

They already have been "released", just not in a digital format. He probably closed the door after hearing that terrible mix of the "Im the One" DVD-A they released a decade or so ago. Silverline could have done a better job.

That's a bit pedantic. I think most of us know what Clint meant, what with the context and all.
Geezzz.. I had to look up "pedantic"... I guess I've been called worse.

I think Clint understood what I meant, even though I expressed it poorly. I will be clear. If it is true that Mr. Simon does not want his music released in a surround format, it must be a relatively recent decision considering the trio of albums in question already have been released in 4.0 SQ/Q8/Q4? and his 2000 release "You're the One" was released on 5.1 DVD-A (which I of course originally referred to incorrectly as "I'm the One". Apparently, that's how forgettable that particular recording was for me.)

If it is true that Mr. Simon does not want his music released in a surround format, it must be a relatively recent decision considering the trio of albums in question already have been released in 4.0 SQ/Q8/Q4? and his 2000 release "You're the One" was released on 5.1 DVD-A (which I of course originally referred to incorrectly as "I'm the One". Apparently, that's how forgettable that particular recording was for me.)

It is true. Paul Simon is not interested in and has not given approval for the reissue of his albums in 4.0 and 5.1 Surround Sound.

It is true. Paul Simon is not interested in and has not given approval for the reissue of his albums in 4.0 and 5.1 Surround Sound.

Not shooting the messenger at all, its Mr. Simon's work and he has the absolute right to do as he pleases with it of course but its two fingers up to his fans, I feel.. to add insult to injury those three Quads are superb and personally I feel that for Rhymin' Simon the Quad mixes are simply superior to the Stereo and ought to be out there legit for devotees to enjoy, as it is this stuff languishes in the vault, Paul Simon gains nothing and resourceful folk will take matters into their own hands to hear these Quads, cutting him out of the deal completely. Sigh. I love the music bit in the music business, the latter part (a "necessary evil", I concede) takes all the fun out of it.

Not shooting the messenger at all, its Mr. Simon's work and he has the absolute right to do as he pleases with it of course but its two fingers up to his fans, I feel.. to add insult to injury those three Quads are superb and personally I feel that for Rhymin' Simon the Quad mixes are simply superior to the Stereo and ought to be out there legit for devotees to enjoy, as it is this stuff languishes in the vault, Paul Simon gains nothing and resourceful folk will take matters into their own hands to hear these Quads, cutting him out of the deal completely. Sigh. I love the music bit in the music business, the latter part (a "necessary evil", I concede) takes all the fun out of it.

Agreed. Those Quads ARE superb.

You probably know this already, but for those who don't, there is also an unreleased Quad mix of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" somewhere in the vaults as well.

Agreed. Those Quads ARE superb.

You probably know this already, but for those who don't, there is also an unreleased Quad mix of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" somewhere in the vaults as well.
Don't even need that. The released quad mix is spectacular enough. Let's also mention the unreleased 5.1 mix for Graceland, done for a DVD-A & left off the anniversary box set for reasons that only Paul knows.

I didn't know this! Why was there a second mix?

A thread about requests for the Paul Simon albums on Sony/Columbia (4.0 Quad) and Warner (5.1 Surround) to be reissued as Multichannel SACDs by Audio Fidelity.

There are alternate 4-channel mixes for the Laura Nyro Title, White Trash, Johnny Winter and Sly Stone/Greatest Hits. As far as I know, the Mike Robin Reel is just a straight Q4-copy of the released version we all know and love. This is the first time I've heard anything about a different mix.

Don't even need that. The released quad mix is spectacular enough. Let's also mention the unreleased 5.1 mix for Graceland, done for a DVD-A & left off the anniversary box set for reasons that only Paul knows.

In fact, I did forget the Graceland 5.1. That gets me even more riled up about it all.

There are alternate 4-channel mixes for the Laura Nyro Title, White Trash, Johnny Winter and Sly Stone/Greatest Hits. As far as I know, the Mike Robin Reel is just a straight Q4-copy of the released version we all know and love. This is the first time I've heard anything about a different mix.

There are two versions of the White Trash Quad..?

As far as I know, the Mike Robin Reel is just a straight Q4-copy of the released version we all know and love. This is the first time I've heard anything about a different mix.
It is the exact same mix as released. One of the top 5 quad mixes, ever.

There are alternate 4-channel mixes for the Laura Nyro Title, White Trash, Johnny Winter and Sly Stone/Greatest Hits.
I have both White Trash mixes. You left out the 3 Blood Sweat & Tears (2nd LP) quad mixes: The released, on Q8 & SQ LP, heavily edited one (now on the SACD); the one that is exactly like the stereo LP, time & edit-wise; and the one with the extended, free-form beginning to You Made Me So very Happy (the best one--should have been on the SACD--no 45 edits).

I believe the M Robin list of all the quad reels were listed somewhere here at QQ. As for Mr. Simon saying no to surround perhaps he heard the mix for Graceland and did not like it. We will never know. Maybe it sucks.

They already have been "released", just not in a digital format. He probably closed the door after hearing that terrible mix of the "Im the One" DVD-A they released a decade or so ago. Silverline could have done a better job.

I play this disc " I'm The One" in 5.1 quite frequently and don't believe it has a 5.1 mix, even though the electronics say it does. It sounds like stereo. Is it actually a 5.1 mix(haha)?

Back