PC Based SQ DECODING - ALMOST DONE!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is there ANY software out there besides Audition that will remove common elements in both sides of a stereo image without doing the cheezy 180 degree reverse phase trick, so that I can do some full logic decoding? I can't even get the trial version of Audition to work on my ancient Windows 98 computer, so I guess that's out of the question...

There should be a "sticky" thread or post where the latest script for each format "SQ" + "QS" is stored for Adobe Audition with directions. As the script is improved, maybe a moderator could update it.

That would be helpful

SM

WOW! I actually used the new 2.0 script, and thanks to the directions included with it, was able to get FANTASTIC results! I was shocked, stunned, and blown away by the result.

So far I have only done one tune, Billy Joel's "Say Goodbye To Hollywood", from the SQ encoded "Turnstiles" LP. As most of you know, there was no Q8 released for this title, so the SQ LP is it.

I have a Tate, and I can say that the results from running this script are far superior to the resulting LP played through the Tate. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard the rears of this song so discrete. It made me smile! :D

DAMN! Now to do the entire LP!

Hello again after a long time of absence here,

it is nice to see what avalanche I was starting...and that with AA2.0 the results are even better. The problem is that I run out of source material, it is difficult to get SQ encoded LPs here in Germany for an affordable price...
So the Tate is finally out of question for decoding SQ, that was my intention at the beginning. It seems that finally the most popular but technically worst quad format can be decoded in the way it should have been possible thirty years ago. I wonder if there is somebody out there that can program all that in a DSP processor for realtime decoding. So still dreaming...
Happy decoding and regards to all that helped to work this out!

Here is the Audition v2 one I use, it's the same one which was reported here to work well.

Attachments contains the script and a small write up on howto use it.

Andreas

Attachments

• SQdecoding_8_AK.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 381
imploder said:
I wonder if there is somebody out there that can program all that in a DSP processor for realtime decoding. So still dreaming...

I have translated your concept behind the SQ script into a scheme using VST's and a software called Plogue Bidule.
The VST replacing Audition's Center Channel Extractor is called 'Extra Boy' from Elevayta
(either the free version, or the non-free 'Pro' version.

This solution runs real time giving good quality, but the Audition version is still slightly better quality, at the expense of non-realtime for most of today's PC processing power.

If anyone is interested in trying the Bidule script, please let me know by forum mail.

Andreas

WOW! I actually used the new 2.0 script, and thanks to the directions included with it, was able to get FANTASTIC results! I was shocked, stunned, and blown away by the result.

So far I have only done one tune, Billy Joel's "Say Goodbye To Hollywood", from the SQ encoded "Turnstiles" LP. As most of you know, there was no Q8 released for this title, so the SQ LP is it.

I have a Tate, and I can say that the results from running this script are far superior to the resulting LP played through the Tate. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard the rears of this song so discrete. It made me smile! :D

DAMN! Now to do the entire LP!

Jon,

They do sound sooooo nice!
I have many (about 200 LPs, all formats) that I have been working on
with Andreas and Neil and the results from the scrips, both 1.5 and 2.0
are just amazing!
My copy of WYWH and the 2 Buffy Ste Marie LPs were just stunning as
were the 2 Blue Oyster Cult albums. :smokin
Thanx to all who worked on the scripts!
Next up... a CD-4 for the computer??????????
AAAAACCCKK!

-Bob

Jon,

Next up... a CD-4 for the computer??????????
AAAAACCCKK!

-Bob

How about a Dolby decoder for a computer? I have one that was packaged with some audio encode software but does not work too well in practice. Some of the QR tapes I have are Dolby. It would be nice if I could import them as is and Dolby decode on the computer. Especially since I do not have a 4 channel Dolby system...

You want it, you get it
Here is a AA2.0 session file with a emulator of a Dolby B.
I tested it with a sample from a tape recorded with Dolby B.
A/B'd it with the same tape with Dolby turned on and it sounds very good to my ears.
Just try it.

Put your 2/4 channel samples into tracks (front and rear), and then press play or export the multichannel results.

Let me know, please.

Last edited:
You want it, you get it
Here is a AA2.0 session file with a emulator of a Dolby B.
I tested it with a sample from a tape recorded with Dolby B.
A/B'd it with the same tape with Dolby turned on and it sounds very good to my ears.
Just try it.

Put your 2/4 channel samples into tracks (front and rear), and then press play or export the multichannel results.

Let me know, please.

Thank you. I will try. Are there any other instructions, like where to set the 0 VU level?

No, just another change.
I noticed a few distorted sounds here and there. Go into "mixer" and open the "effects rack" both for front and left. In "Dynamics Processing" values click Attack/Release. In Level Detector window change both attack and release level to "3".
This will give you a smother sound.

Hey there. I used to be on this forum a long time ago, but lost my way. I'm back again with a new name and email... I guess I'm an old newbie.

I wanted to thank everyone for their work on the PC based SQ decoding. With the script and some extra time, I was finally able to listen to my "It's Alive 2" soundtrack in it's proper format. It's astounding and the seperation is beautiful.

Back to lurk mode, but I just had to convey my thanks!

T.

Yeah! It finally worked for me (what are Sundays for anyway?). I tried the script on my CD of "Exposed" by Mike Oldfield, and then burned the files to DVD-A using the DVD-A Solo software. Ask me to bore you sometime with all of the ways there are to do this wrong before I did it right.

Thanks for making this script!

J. D.

Hi All,

Recently joined, and I've been instantly impressed by the depth of knowledge present here, as well as the amount of effort that has gone into producing matrix decoding methods for the PC. To this end, I have a simple question... has there been a "definitive" and "final" script produced for decoding SQ using Adobe Audition 1.5 or 2? I've followed this thread and read it carefully from end to end, but I'm not sure whether I'm using the right/latest method!

I'm now in possession of a relatively decent turntable/cartridge and gradually picking up some SQ vinyl - I'm looking forward to getting the best results I can using software, but haven't got any other reference points to compare them to.

Thanks again to all those who have worked so hard on this so far...

James

Hi All,

Recently joined, and I've been instantly impressed by the depth of knowledge present here, as well as the amount of effort that has gone into producing matrix decoding methods for the PC. To this end, I have a simple question... has there been a "definitive" and "final" script produced for decoding SQ using Adobe Audition 1.5 or 2? I've followed this thread and read it carefully from end to end, but I'm not sure whether I'm using the right/latest method!

I'm now in possession of a relatively decent turntable/cartridge and gradually picking up some SQ vinyl - I'm looking forward to getting the best results I can using software, but haven't got any other reference points to compare them to.

Thanks again to all those who have worked so hard on this so far...

James

Check post #147 above for the best SQ script. I use it all the time and it's excellent. It is for AA2.0

Check post #147 above for the best SQ script. I use it all the time and it's excellent. It is for AA2.0
Thanks, I've started to use the script and the results are very good so far. I can see this taking up way too much of my time from this moment on!

James

Back