Peaches Records and Tapes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
Every now & then the Peaches record store gets mentioned in the forum. In the Kansas City area there were two and Boy Howdy they were big. I bought all my Klaatu albums there (plus much more) and many laserdiscs. Unlike Tower Records I never came across any stores outside my area so I thought they were local. Because of posts here I dug up they had about 40 stores , West to East coast. And tho you might think of them going bankrupt & shut down, there is one Peaches store still open. I kid you not.

https://www.peachesrecordsandtapes.com/
It is in New Orleans having taken over an old Woolworth location. They even retained the lunch counter but I doubt they serve anything. It's a little hard to tell how much music or video stuff they stock. So here's a shout out to @kap'n krunch ... maybe he's been there? Maybe he could go with an in depth report when his back gets better? Or info from anyone else as I think this Peaches last stand is pretty cool.

Every now & then the Peaches record store gets mentioned in the forum. In the Kansas City area there were two and Boy Howdy they were big. I bought all my Klaatu albums there (plus much more) and many laserdiscs. Unlike Tower Records I never came across any stores outside my area so I thought they were local. Because of posts here I dug up they had about 40 stores , West to East coast. And tho you might think of them going bankrupt & shut down, there is one Peaches store still open. I kid you not.

https://www.peachesrecordsandtapes.com/
It is in New Orleans having taken over an old Woolworth location. They even retained the lunch counter but I doubt they serve anything. It's a little hard to tell how much music or video stuff they stock. So here's a shout out to @kap'n krunch ... maybe he's been there? Maybe he could go with an in depth report when his back gets better? Or info from anyone else as I think this Peaches last stand is pretty cool.
duuude!
did not even know about this...
right now I am feeling quite miserable; thought it would be Omicron but I am not getting any symptoms...
Will check it out as soon as I feel better...

There was a Peaches in Virginia Beach/Norfolk in the mid '70s. Near 'Military Circle'. I visited it many times back then when I was in the Navy. The had a quad section, but not as big as the 'Tracks' store a little bit North of that area.

When I got out I found there was a Peaches in New Haven/Orange CT, which was about 30 miles from where I lived. Used to go there looking for quad cutouts.

I still have some of the Peaches and Tracks crates that they sold to store your albums in. They were great, made out of flimsy wood but did the job. Stacked up pretty nice as well.

Funny how I can remember all of this old shit............

I guess with what new vinyl goes for these days a $75 crate is not outrageous?

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 5.36.56 PM.png

Just a few blocks from Tipitina's on Tchopitoulas (where I saw Albert Collins 40 years ago).

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 5.30.14 PM.png

In the 70's, I became friends with one of my idols, Jimmy P. Staggs aka Jim Stagg. He owned a small record store chain around Chicago & Orlando. Previously, he was a DJ and Program Director at Chicago's OTHER AM Rock powerhouse, WCFL.

One of his managers told me, "I'm leaving Record City and moving to Milwaukee. " Oh yeah, where? "I start on Monday as a manager at Peaches." I said, "I'll see you soon, since I'm in Milwaukee from 1-3 days/week visiting clients." So, I got deals at Peaches, along with many other stores in Illinois and Wisconsin who were friends and/or clients.

I visited a few Peaches around the country. The Milwaukee store was a circa '60's Red Owl grocery store on Silver Spring Rd. I was in there once a week for years. In '77, I first visited this store and they had an extensive Quad LP section, although Quad's demise had already begun.

A photo of that location I posted on QQ 8 years ago is found in post #80 in the "Remembering Record Stores" thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/remembering-record-stores.15980/page-4

I still have some old Peaches crates like in Jon's photo. The rough edges of the wood could be nasty for album jackets; fortunately, I had most of mine in protective sleeves. Spent lots of money at Peaches in the seventies and eighties at Ohio locations. Always a great outing with friends...big stores, wide aisles, plentiful stock, and import vinyl!

In the 70's, I became friends with one of my idols, Jimmy P. Staggs aka Jim Stagg. He owned a small record store chain around Chicago & Orlando. Previously, he was a DJ and Program Director at Chicago's OTHER AM Rock powerhouse, WCFL.

One of his managers told me, "I'm leaving Record City and moving to Milwaukee. " Oh yeah, where? "I start on Monday as a manager at Peaches." I said, "I'll see you soon, since I'm in Milwaukee from 1-3 days/week visiting clients." So, I got deals at Peaches, along with many other stores in Illinois and Wisconsin who were friends and/or clients.

I visited a few Peaches around the country. The Milwaukee store was a circa '60's Red Owl grocery store on Silver Spring Rd. I was in there once a week for years. In '77, I first visited this store and they had an extensive Quad LP section, although Quad's demise had already begun.

A photo of that location I posted on QQ 8 years ago is found in post #80 in the "Remembering Record Stores" thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/remembering-record-stores.15980/page-4

Thanks for the link to the record store thread. Wow! Goes back to 2012 & this is the first time I read it. I had fun checking out some of the old record store commercials you linked on YouTube.

Interestingly I never bought anything quad at Peaches. Most of that was done at Capers Corners, a single store record shop owned by Ben Asner, actor Ed Asner's brother. Peaches was by far the bigger store but a bit impersonal. Just buy and go. Ben's place was different. They knew me & I knew them. Between the two I spent so many happy $$.

Just searched the Peaches website for "quadraphonic" and "surround sound". No results. :cry:

So the Peaches crate I posted above is from a Google search. Just to make things fair, here are a few shots of my original and still existing Peaches and Tracks Crates that live in my "Closet from Hell". You might see quite a few quad LPs sitting in these things. They are sagging a bit, but aren't we all? :)

Damn good structure for what, 40+ years?

Tracks Ends.jpg

Peaches Crate.jpg

IMG_2876.JPG

Quad Linda,
This was great what you mentioned! I hadn't seen your 'Remembering Record Stores' #80post till now... I used to go to those Peaches & 1812overture stores often.
I remember a record store at Locust & Oakland, Ludwig van Ear, it later became an Atomic Records store in the early '90s. Loved that place!
They also had used records..My favorites were the used promo lps. I still have many of them.
Also, Peaches would eventually get rid of the large hand painted murals on the outside of the store front.There was one by the Moody Blues.. 'Caught Live plus 5', I think it was??? Someone acquired it & had it mounted on their garage near where I lived. Looked great!
Thanks for the memories...😁

Last edited:
Those crates look great!

But $70 for a crate?? You could build some out of scrap wood easily enough...
Hey, those are hand-crafted artisanal record crates. ;)

Check out John's pictures, how rough the wood is on those old relics.
Today's hipsters don't want their classy vinyl in something like that.
It's expensive to hand-sandpaper the nice ones.

There was a Peaches in Virginia Beach/Norfolk in the mid '70s. Near 'Military Circle'. I visited it many times back then when I was in the Navy. The had a quad section, but not as big as the 'Tracks' store a little bit North of that area.

When I got out I found there was a Peaches in New Haven/Orange CT, which was about 30 miles from where I lived. Used to go there looking for quad cutouts.

I still have some of the Peaches and Tracks crates that they sold to store your albums in. They were great, made out of flimsy wood but did the job. Stacked up pretty nice as well.

Funny how I can remember all of this old shit............
Peaches had several stores in South Florida. I used to go to the one on East Sunrise Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale. Great selection and prices. They always had some interesting music playing, too. Sadly, it's now a Hustler sex toy shop.

Back