Pearl Jam “Gigaton” in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have an Atmos setup, just 5.1. I started watching Gigaton on my Apple TV and it's playing in stereo, I had hoped it would be downsampled to 5.1 but no joy. I guess my 13 year old Onkyo receiver is incapable of doing that ?

do other programs play in 5.1 on your AppleTV? Also, look in your settings under Audio. Mine is set to "Auto" and it plays in 5.1 for me.

If your home entertainment system doesn't support the audio format that Apple TV automatically selects, you can manually change the audio format. Go to Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format and turn on Change Format. From here you can choose the following:

• Dolby Digital 5.1: Plays audio on multiple speakers and a subwoofer, like a 5.1 speaker setup.
  • Stereo: Supported audio quality for all televisions, movies, and TV shows that plays sound through a right and left channel.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069

Maybe also try and update your AppleTV software.

Last edited:
Well this is cool! I’m enjoying this... 🤟 It’s a subtle mix - but sounds alright. Defo discrete at least... The visuals look great!

First time I’ve heard it so I’m sure it will get better with more listens and some beers... 😎

Really good they made this available! I had to search for just ‘Gigaton’ for it to show up on my Apple TV...

Perhaps a glimpse of releasing Dolby Atmos music releases in the future?

I am only on track 3 but wow! It sounds so great. First two tracks are subtle for sure as far as surround content. Dance of the Clairvoyants is for sure NOT subtle, has some nice surround content. Really opens up during the chorus. The synth track is nicely dancing around the sound field, including the rears. Love it so far!!

This is very cool! Hopefully more of this sort of thing to come from other artists...

602F4766-B740-4E89-A570-997A28229124.jpeg

Ummmmm Snood be no Pearl Jam Fan Boy - Only have an album or 2 and not one of me fave groups.

Went to watch a couple tracks to get a feel.......video is mainly scenic stuff and bubbly stuff, but there are a few that are pure music videos.

Mind you my listen was not Atmos and on my old Onkyo was in 5.1 DD.....never the less here we go

track 1 was like Ok this is nice and might work but nothing mind blowing.......Track 2 SuperBlood Wolf Moon was like hmmm some koo hints of surround perhaps.........At this point was about to go OK will finish this later this weekend.........Track 3 Dance of the Clairvoyents started and was like ummmm wow this is koo must listen more then track 4 Quick Escape and was like who mixed this? This is pretty good............sat through all the rest in one sitting and can definitely say this is no slouch and is pretty good mix. They did not mail this in.:eek:

Loved track 9 too Buckle Up in 5.1 was real good. 7 o clock was kooo tooooo

Overall the Album gets the faster Rocking songs out of the way quick beside a couple in the middle then gets a lot mellower.........Instead of Vitalogy this might be call Ecology....seems to be the theme and Snood is Koo wit dat.

The mellower stuff though does tend to work in a lot of great 5.1 stuff though - thought the end of Retrograde was well done as far as enveloping the listener at the end.

overall pretty Awesome from out of nowhere..........will definitely buy if it comes out in 5.1 Bluray for sure. Still might buy in Apple TV too

The only downside was that it was streaming - the HDR looked good, disc would be far better and thus the sound I had to turn up a bit more than usual, but I am sure a disc version might fix that, but no big deal on the volume. Thought some spots could have used more thumpy, meaning bass. That might just be the streaming sound though.

Look forward to a cd/bluray or just bluray release fingers crossed.

Atmos people Me thinks will really enjoy this.............in 5.1 it is really good. Don't want to go overboard will listen again tonight or this weekend and maybe give it a really really good :rocks :giggle: :rocks

For what it’s worth:

1. Atmos immersive music an entire album streaming in real Dolby Atmos. Streaming! This proves immersive and multichannel music can be streamed! Go away you nay sayers lol.
2. it’s on Apple TV so it will reach millions of people.Now hopefully this will attract new folks to be inspired to want more immersive music.
3. My wife asked me what this was...she was like “I really like this.” Got smacked in the back of the head when I told her it was the new Pearl Jam. 😝
She is very impressed with the mix!
4. As far as the mix overall, mainly left, right play , the center is there but not strong like the L /R and surrounds have lots of ambiance but several songs really make really good use of the surrounds. I would vote for this 9/10 in a poll. Whomever made the Atmos mix did a fantastic job. I might have wanted a bit more in surrounds but this is not a Scheiner style aggressive mix. Much more subtle but still active. Only thing lacking is bass but as Snood said above that may be due to the streaming nature.

God I am hoping someone is recording the audio...

Unfortunately the tools don't appear to exist to capture Atmos audio encoded within the AC3 wrapper from Apple TV+ streams for whatever reason as they do for Netflix.

Many Apple TV+ series captures have appeared with 5.1 audio though so that will presumably show up at some point.

Unfortunately the tools don't appear to exist to capture Atmos audio encoded within the AC3 wrapper from Apple TV+ streams for whatever reason as they do for Netflix.

Many Apple TV+ series captures have appeared with 5.1 audio though so that will presumably show up at some point.

Mm i have seen leaks of AppleTV+ series in Dolby Atmos.

this article says you can get apple tv app on amazon fire tv:

https://amazonfiretv.blog/apple-tv-...re-tv-stick-and-fire-tv-stick-4k-6a1cef230a2f
Availability

then this article says you can get atmos on fire tv:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...v-stick-brings-4k-hdr-and-dolby-atmos-for-50/
so would it be possible to do this and get the fire tv to output atmos thru the apple tv app?

Last edited:
Back