Pearl Jam “Gigaton” in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Gigaton producer Josh Evans will be going live on instagram with Joel Edwards from @EvolveStudio.SM at 7:30pm ET to answer questions ahead of the event. Leave a question for them in the comments below!"
If you're on Instagram, go to @pearljam. Evolve did the visuals. At 8pm EST there is a "Gigaton Watch Party"

i like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 176
Yes AppleTV is now an app you can download for most platforms. Since they added TV+ they want people on every platform to be able to watch their content. You don't need any Apple hardware at all.

After finishing the presentation I liked it. I am a big fan of Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy but not much after yet still like Pearl Jam. One thing is evident, Eddie lost the chops of his younger years.

now just hoping this garners enough interest and downloads for them to remix those first 3 in atmos or at the least 5.1. Hell maybe their other albums, I’d definitely buy them and may like the music more now then I did upon release.

Last edited by a moderator:
so would it be possible to do this and get the fire tv to output atmos thru the apple tv app?

One would think so however the rub is the apple tv app on the fire tv stick 4k doesn't support atmos.

People have been asking for that since last year.

It's another case of 'you can't get there from here'

This is actually all too common in the media streamer app world. For a long time the Disney+ app on the Nvidia Shield TV didn't support Atmos. It took them months to get that going with a lot of finger pointing between the device manufacturer and the service provider as it's not always clear who is responsible for developing the app and exactly what gets supported on which platform etc.

Last edited:
Yes AppleTV is now an app you can download for most platforms. Since they added TV+ they want people on every platform to be able to watch their content. You don't need any Apple hardware at all.

Not really. Some pretty glaring omissions. Take Android for example.

That would be why I said MOST. And I was referring more to like ways to stream on a TV and home theater system. I don't generally airplay or chrome cast surround content from my phone to my TV.

Yep, I can't get it. I have a Samsung android phone, Windows PC, Microsoft surface, two Samsung TVs. None of them have apple tv apps, and the PCs can't see Gigaton on the Apple website even. It's weird, I can see the new Beasties doc and 50 shows or something, but there must be a difference between apple tv and apple tv +? It just doesn't show up in ads. There's no way to search, I can just browse through the shows. Very strange. I am totally unfamiliar with apple products.

I assume your Samsung TVs are too old to have the ability to download apps of your choosing? Cuz I am pretty sure there is an AppleTV app for new-ish Samsung TVs.

Yep, I can't get it. I have a Samsung android phone, Windows PC, Microsoft surface, two Samsung TVs. None of them have apple tv apps, and the PCs can't see Gigaton on the Apple website even. It's weird, I can see the new Beasties doc and 50 shows or something, but there must be a difference between apple tv and apple tv +? It just doesn't show up in ads. There's no way to search, I can just browse through the shows. Very strange. I am totally unfamiliar with apple products.
Yes I was unable to watch Gigaton using Chrome or FireFox on my PC. The page said available on Apple TV+ unlike other programming that was viewable in browser.

On Firefox, plays in 5.1 PCM, same as my apple tv but it's "Preview only". Maybe needs a sign in?

https://music.apple.com/us/album/gigaton/1495374767
View attachment 50071
I read somewhere that after the week Gigaton is free that it will be available for purchase. Maybe that’s what you saw. If so, excited for 5.1 downloads.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/free-on-apple-tv-pearl-jam-releases-visual-gigaton-album/
“This makes Pearl Jam’s Gigaton visual album experience on Apple TV something of a breakthrough moment for Dolby’s technology as it relates to music instead of movies. As long as you have the gear listed above, you’ll be able to hear the difference that Atmos can make.

And it’s free. After the initial seven-day period, you’ll be able to buy or rent it via Apple Music.”

That would be why I said MOST. And I was referring more to like ways to stream on a TV and home theater system. I don't generally airplay or chrome cast surround content from my phone to my TV.

Yeah I should have said Android TV since that's what the Nvidia Shield uses. No casting needed and millions of would be Apple TV+ subscribers.

On the other hand I suppose Apple did choose to focus on building an app for the Android TV version v9 built into some recent model TVs and the version of Fire OS based on Android that runs on the Amazon Fire Stick 4k.

I would be very curious if the app on any of these supports Atmos. I know the one on the Fire Stick 4k does not and everything I'm seeing is Apple TV+ app support for Atmos is limited to Apple devices only at the moment.

I have a Sony 930D with Android TV v8 and the 2017 model of the Nvidia Shield TV that runs Android TV v7

The 2019 model Nvidia Shield TV runs v9

Re: web version access with Atmos support (at least on Windows), that appears to be a no go as well. The only windows browser that supports Atmos is Microsoft Edge and that one is not supported by Apple TV+

Last edited:
Yeah I should have said Android TV since that's what the Nvidia Shield uses. No casting needed and millions of would be Apple TV+ subscribers.

On the other hand I suppose Apple did choose to focus on building an app for the Android TV version v9 built into some recent model TVs and the version of Fire OS based on Android that runs on the Amazon Fire Stick 4k.

I would be very curious if the app on any of these supports Atmos. I know the one on the Fire Stick 4k does not and everything I'm seeing is Apple TV+ app support for Atmos is limited to Apple devices only at the moment.

I have a Sony 930D with Android TV v8 and the 2017 model of the Nvidia Shield TV that runs Android TV v7

The 2019 model Nvidia Shield TV runs v9

Re: web version access with Atmos support (at least on Windows), that appears to be a no go as well. The only windows browser that supports Atmos is Microsoft Edge and that one is not supported by Apple TV+
I was trying in the morning with my Windows PC, Firefox and Edge and I could only get stereo. I wasn't even able to play the Gigaton album from there (I started the free week trial on Apple TV and cancelled right after).
This is really frustrating, specially as the content is there, I have the Atmos setup, but I can't even purchase it legally as a download.
My only hope for now is that it gets leaked as a mkv and I can play it with VLC.

Just watched the IGTV live thing from yesterday with the album producer and the head of the studio that did the video. Was a cool watch. As I suspected, the entire project, both the video album and the Atmos mix, were not planned, they sort of fell into place and grew organically. That's how Pearl Jam does most things, I feel. Josh Evans did talk some about mixing the album in Atmos. I sure hope more interviews and articles come around with him so he can dive deeper in and tell us all about this mix.

Back