Pearl Jam “Gigaton” in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is a bluray forthcoming?

@EricKalet posted earlier (see below). So I'm assuming yes. I hope so anyway, as I'm too lazy to do a free trial of Apple TV.

From Variety: Pearl Jam’s ‘Gigaton Visual Experience’ Will Arrive Friday in Home Theaters

Pearl Jam had planned to release its “Gigaton Visual Experience” – a special audio-visual event around their new album — in theaters just before the album’s March 27 release, but the coronavirus pandemic obviously put that plan on hold.

Instead, the group announced today that the “Gigaton Visual Experience” will be available in home theaters starting Friday — and will be free to all Apple TV app users in over 100 countries for seven days — before being available to rent or buy. (Head here https://apple.co/PearlJam for more details.)

And I would be really surprised if it's only available to buy on Apple. The band offers their live bootlegs in mp3, AAC mp4, FLAC and even higher than CD resolution. I am sure once it's for sale, it will be on sale other places than just Apple. Even if they don't do a physical Blu Ray, which I am sure they will. Or rather I hope they do.

@EricKalet posted earlier (see below). So I'm assuming yes. I hope so anyway, as I'm too lazy to do a free trial of Apple TV.

From Variety: Pearl Jam’s ‘Gigaton Visual Experience’ Will Arrive Friday in Home Theaters

Pearl Jam had planned to release its “Gigaton Visual Experience” – a special audio-visual event around their new album — in theaters just before the album’s March 27 release, but the coronavirus pandemic obviously put that plan on hold.

Instead, the group announced today that the “Gigaton Visual Experience” will be available in home theaters starting Friday — and will be free to all Apple TV app users in over 100 countries for seven days — before being available to rent or buy. (Head here https://apple.co/PearlJam for more details.)

I read that as being available to rent or buy ON appletv, not blu-ray??

Perhaps. But it doesn't fit the band to only make it available that one way. I am sure it will be made available in a lot of different ways.

Couldn’t hurt for folks here to post their ideas and enthusiasm for the format, artist/album suggestions, etc. I’d link to the ATMOS thread but it didn’t show up in my search. I did post a link to the QQ poll in their Twitter thread. I’d post a link to @edisonbaggins Life In Surround YouTube channel but I might start seeming like a sole pushy individual.

Still, I think enthusiasm there could help, even if just a little.
DBA44475-0492-47E0-9690-F17FAC879A9F.jpeg

Last edited:
I would but I deleted my Twitter account like two years ago. Still I hope others get on there and reply to them!

I replied saying that any music in Atmos is fine for me, but please release it in multiple formats instead of limiting it to Apple TV users. No reply, of course (not that I was expecting it either)
I doubt Dolby had anything to do with moving the Gigaton Atmos experience from theaters to AppleTV. I would bet it was band management and Abramorama, who was helping with this whole thing.

Well, after one week, it did not leak onto the dark world of the internet, so I'm losing any hopes to be able to listen to it in the short term.
I've been looking for second hand Apple TV devices, but are really expensive! Was anyone with a Roku or Firestick be able to play the Atmos?

Well, after one week, it did not leak onto the dark world of the internet, so I'm losing any hopes to be able to listen to it in the short term.
I've been looking for second hand Apple TV devices, but are really expensive! Was anyone with a Roku or Firestick be able to play the Atmos?

(it didn't happen so hopefully i can't be clapped in irons for expressing mere intent..!) but i was hoping to hijack the 5.1 and record it in, in real time. i couldn't get it to work on my Mac so i just sat and listened to it through the Apple TV, rather good i thought and more surround-y than i was expecting.

tbh if i were you i'd invest in an Apple TV because with things the way they are now i fear this kind of thing may not be a one-off.

that said, it would be crazy for the artists/labels not to monetise this down the line with a physical release... common sense hasn't always prevailed in that respect as we know.. but while there's cash and jobs and hope (goodbye Johnny, Steve and Bob) there's life.

ahh.. 12 mins til i can commence bottle opening without feeling entirely self-loathing about it. cheers everyone, stay safe.

(it didn't happen so hopefully i can't be clapped in irons for expressing mere intent..!) but i was hoping to hijack the 5.1 and record it in, in real time. i couldn't get it to work on my Mac so i just sat and listened to it through the Apple TV, rather good i thought and more surround-y than i was expecting.

tbh if i were you i'd invest in an Apple TV because with things the way they are now i fear this kind of thing may not be a one-off.

that said, it would be crazy for the artists/labels not to monetise this down the line with a physical release... common sense hasn't always prevailed in that respect as we know.. but while there's cash and jobs and hope (goodbye Johnny, Steve and Bob) there's life.

ahh.. 12 mins til i can commence bottle opening without feeling entirely self-loathing about it. cheers everyone, stay safe.
Thanks Adam, my birthday is coming this month, I may let the wish to get one to my son slip with the hope it tells it to his mum.
Hope you enjoyed your morning aperitif, we have limited ourselves to weekend drinks at midday from our tiny terrace, otherwise I would be more talkative than usual in my afternoons of remote work.

Has anyone looked for it on other platforms now that it's released for purchase on Apple? I don't know how else one buys digital movies or rentals... Amazon?

Gigaton (Visual Album Experience) is now available for Rental or Purchase from Apple. I'm downloading a rental right now to see if I can extract the multichannel audio. If it doesn't work, it only cost me $4.99 versus the $12.99 to purchase. I'm still hoping for a physical Blu-ray release.
Interested to hear what you're able to extract. Will it be 5.1? Atmos? Is it possible to to play Atmos from a file?

Interested to hear what you're able to extract. Will it be 5.1? Atmos? Is it possible to to play Atmos from a file?
The download, which was nearly 2.5 GB because of the 1080p option I selected, only seems to contain a stereo audio track when played via iTunes on my Windows PC. Selecting "Prefer AC3 Passthrough" produces no sound and also makes the visual component disappear. I can't determine if there was some sort of error with the download itself, or if this is a consequence of the DRM associated with the file.

When playing the .m4v file using another program, including Foobar, there is no audio at all. Maybe someone can diagnose these symptoms and assist. I've never rented or purchased a movie via iTunes before.

Back