Pearl Jam “Gigaton” in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess Handbrake might work - but no know to much about it. :rolleyes: aaaaaaaaand it past 5AM here gotta get Snood beauty sleep :love:

It downloads in the movpkg format, and I haven't found any software able to convert it. Also assume that Apple has some kind of encryption on it so it only works via Apple TV. I think the only way to do this is the old fashioned analog way.

Anybody has tried yet to play Atmos files from ITunes on a Windows 10 laptop?

I have not but based on search results I anticipate another dead end as it looks like Apple has fixed things (again) so that only iTunes on Apple devices will support bit streaming Atmos but I would love to be proven wrong and look forward to hearing about your test results. As I understand it, Windows iTunes *does* have some support for WASAPI which is a really good sign albeit only 'shared' vs 'exclusive mode. My guess is despite this limited WASAPI support, in the end Atmos will not get passed.

I want to be wrong! :)

Well, no luck at all. I cannot make iTunes to play the file even in 5.1. I've checked all Windows settings, tried several combinations of parameters and nothing... just stereo. Any other player like VLC or Windows Media Player works fine both in surround and Atmos. I'm completely puzzled, so any ideas are welcome.

Well, no luck at all. I cannot make iTunes to play the file even in 5.1. I've checked all Windows settings, tried several combinations of parameters and nothing... just stereo. Any other player like VLC or Windows Media Player works fine both in surround and Atmos. I'm completely puzzled, so any ideas are welcome.

Playing it using the Apple TV application over here, with HDMI to my receiver. Not set up for Atmos yet but playing in 5.1 just fine... Not able to open this file using iTunes, what file is it you're playing?

Playing it using the Apple TV application over here, with HDMI to my receiver. Not set up for Atmos yet but playing in 5.1 just fine... Not able to open this file using iTunes, what file is it you're playing?
I purchased the movie, so I got a m4v file in my laptop. The only reference in forums I found about similar issues is from 2016 and some people made surround work by configuring QuickTime properly. Bearing in mind that the last QuickTime version released was for Windows 7 and then it was discontinued, I'm beginning to think I just wasted my money on it.
I'll get in touch with Apple support tomorrow, but I foresee a dumb conversation with first level of support explaining what Atmos is and the setup I'm trying to achieve. Sigh!

I purchased the movie, so I got a m4v file in my laptop. The only reference in forums I found about similar issues is from 2016 and some people made surround work by configuring QuickTime properly. Bearing in mind that the last QuickTime version released was for Windows 7 and then it was discontinued, I'm beginning to think I just wasted my money on it.
I'll get in touch with Apple support tomorrow, but I foresee a dumb conversation with first level of support explaining what Atmos is and the setup I'm trying to achieve. Sigh!
Just wondering what this m4v file is... Mine is a movpkg file, which is why I can't find a way to convert it. There are definitely ways to convert m4v file however... Wonder how we have different file formats?

Just wondering what this m4v file is... Mine is a movpkg file, which is why I can't find a way to convert it. There are definitely ways to convert m4v file however... Wonder how we have different file formats?
Did you purchase using Apple TV by chance? That may explain the difference.
We should not discuss it here, but I have not been able to find any free converter for the m4v files that can break the DRM, any suggestions via PM are welcome ;)

We should not discuss it here, but I have not been able to find any free converter for the m4v files that can break the DRM, any suggestions via PM are welcome ;)

I was under the impression only the Apple TV version includes the multichannel track...

We should not discuss it here, but I have not been able to find any free converter for the m4v files that can break the DRM, any suggestions via PM are welcome ;
I was under the impression only the Apple TV version includes the multichannel track...
Not really, unless they lied in the iTunes description. In there it clear says it's Atmos and Dolby Vision, but I don't rule out it can be a mistake

We've probably been reading the same threads. My takeaway is that previous versions of iTunes for Windows leveraged/depended on Quicktime for Windows but later versions of iTunes did not/got rid of that so I suspect that will not apply in the case of a current version of iTunes for Windows.

I'd be very curious what mediainfo shows for the m4v file. If it has an Atmos audio stream it should reveal that.

We should not discuss it here, but I have not been able to find any free converter for the m4v files that can break the DRM, any suggestions via PM are welcome ;

Not really, unless they lied in the iTunes description. In there it clear says it's Atmos and Dolby Vision, but I don't rule out it can be a mistake

Cesar it should play atmos and dolby Vision thru your tv - just download the AppleTV App for your tv on your TV - dunno if you have a Roko or what smart tv - but there should be a AppleTV app available for most smart tvs :LB

Cesar it should play atmos and dolby Vision thru your tv - just download the AppleTV App for your tv on your TV - dunno if you have a Roko or what smart tv - but there should be a AppleTV app available for most smart tvs :LB
For most but not for all... There's not Apple TV App available for my Samsung 4K smart TV :(

I'm playing it using the Apple TV application on my computer... With HDMI to my reciever. No issues here.

Very doubtful that 'application' (progressive web app) will be any different than the native web browser experience and pass Atmos.

Unless something's changed there is no advertised downloadable windows Apple TV+ client but using google chrome (or probably other browsers) one can visit tv.apple.com and then use chrome settings, more tools, create shortcut (selecting the 'open as window' option) to create a pseudo 'application' (progressive web app) on the desktop that will run independent of the browser.

Getting 5.1 audio out of the web app is one thing, getting the encapsulated atmos stream is another.

Last edited:
Very doubtful that 'application' (progressive web app) will be any different than the native web browser experience and pass Atmos.

Unless something's changed there is no advertised downloadable windows Apple TV+ client but using google chrome (or probably other browsers) one can visit tv.apple.com and then use chrome settings, more tools, create shortcut (selecting the 'open as window' option) to create a pseudo 'application' (progressive web app) on the desktop that will run independent of the browser.

Getting 5.1 audio out of the web app is one thing, getting the encapsulated atmos stream is another.

Yeah not seeing a way to pass Atmos, I'm on a Mac and it's controlled by the HDMI controller, which gives me up to 8 channels in 32 bit 192kHz. I'm not set up for Atmos yet so no way to test this either. The real question, however, is does the iTunes version of the download contain the Atmos data or is it only the Apple TV version that does? Because that would make a difference in trying to covert it.

Yeah not seeing a way to pass Atmos, I'm on a Mac and it's controlled by the HDMI controller, which gives me up to 8 channels in 32 bit 192kHz. I'm not set up for Atmos yet so no way to test this either. The real question, however, is does the iTunes version of the download contain the Atmos data or is it only the Apple TV version that does? Because that would make a difference in trying to covert it.

Any of this running on Apple hardware should be no problem it's only other platforms that are a challenge.

Good point about the file source and potential differences.

At this point all I can say is that if the atmos stream is present in the iTunes .m4v file it's obfuscated to mediainfo by the DRM.

Next step is attempting to strip the DRM on the iTunes .m4v (for legal personal use) and seeing if the atmos stream is there and still intact for a third party app to pass.

I gave up... I tried (even with some help from some QQ buddies) to either make iTunes work or decrypt the DRM protected stream. The farthest I got was being able to see (not to decrypt) an AC3 5.1 stream inside the file, but no traces of any Atmos.
I got in touch with iTunes support and they were only capable of pointing out to some FAQs and general documentation.
I'm completely fed up with this topic now and asked for a refund. Apparently, it was granted and I will get my money back.
I will definitely buy a Blu-ray or even a download if it's freed from ITunes stupid applications.
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Excited to see surround move to Tidal. I wonder how they'll figure a way to screw it up?

Tidal has been doing surround since December 2019, same story as Amazon, only on phones or tiny speakers.

Looks like they actually listened.

I'm psyched to get this working on my Shield TV but so far the comments aren't looking good.

Looks like other Shield owners are seeing same, indicating a client update will hopefully be coming. Lame that they started out like this though.

One guy reports it working on his Apple TV 4k.

I will take this discussion here.

Last edited:
It certainly seems like someone is going to a lot of effort to avoid releasing this Universal Music album on Blu-ray Audio. At 57 minutes long, they could put the whole album on a BD-25 in Dolby Atmos (~4 GB), and LPCM 5.1 (~12 GB) and Stereo (~4 GB) both at 192/24 (assuming the audio even exists at 192/24, if it's "only" 96/24, then it's ~6 GB and ~2 GB) and even have plenty of room for the visuals, especially if they used a lossless compression codec like DTS-HD MA.

Back