Pearl Jam “Gigaton” in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It certainly seems like someone is going to a lot of effort to avoid releasing this Universal Music album on Blu-ray Audio. At 57 minutes long, they could put the whole album on a BD-25 in Dolby Atmos (~4 GB), and LPCM 5.1 (~12 GB) and Stereo (~4 GB) both at 192/24 (assuming the audio even exists at 192/24, if it's "only" 96/24, then it's ~6 GB and ~2 GB) and even have plenty of room for the visuals, especially if they used a lossless compression codec like DTS-HD MA.
No one is avoiding anything. Maybe you've heard, there's a pandemic going on. It already totally altered the plans to release this theatrically. The release to stream on AppleTV+ was entirely unplanned. We should be grateful that things were able to pivot to this online streaming thing.

Any plans to release this on physical media are probably delayed by a lot of factors right now. How many Blu Ray duplication plants are working normally at standard capacity? And this is not a Universal Music album. They're distribution only. The band and its organization has total say over what gets done, how and when. And that organization is very much a small family group that's been together for decades in many cases. They only have so much time to address things as they shift, which recently has been just about constant. They had an entire plan for album release and tour. That has all been totally upended. They're probably more concerned with making sure the members of the Pearl Jam family are taken care of, as their source of income for 2020 evaporated completely.

So I am sure they will get to a physical release of this Atmos visual album thing they're doing literally for the first time ever. It will just take time.

How come this release hasn't got a poll? Are they for physical releases only?

Oh, and just in case there's anyone as dumb as me out there. I spent ages trying to get this to play in 5.1 through my amp via itunes on my laptop. Was about ready to chuck the whole thing out the window with a lot of cursing of Apple (well that will always happen anyway) , then realised,: I had not changed the audio channel in itunes.. channel 1 is stereo. 2 is 5.1.... amp was saying it was getting a 5.1 signal from my laptop, because it was.... but iTunes only playing in stereo .... d'oh... buffoonery...

Oh, and just in case there's anyone as dumb as me out there. I spent ages trying to get this to play in 5.1 through my amp via itunes on my laptop. Was about ready to chuck the whole thing out the window with a lot of cursing of Apple (well that will always happen anyway) , then realised,: I had not changed the audio channel in itunes.. channel 1 is stereo. 2 is 5.1.... amp was saying it was getting a 5.1 signal from my laptop, because it was.... but iTunes only playing in stereo .... d'oh... buffoonery...

Is the laptop a PC or a MAC?

Are you able to get Atmos from iTunes on the laptop to your amp?

Is the laptop a PC or a MAC?

Are you able to get Atmos from iTunes on the laptop to your amp?

PC.

I don't have atmos but it didn't appear to be in the file. Like others have said, looks too small. I spent ages trying to transfer the file to a memory pen so I wouldn't have to play via itunes - so spent a lot of time "messing" with it. I eventually managed to do it but lost the 5.1 channel in the process *sigh*. Apple blocking me from playing music I've legally purchased however I wish. Seems fair.

I originally had it playing through apple tv on a firestick, direct into my amp. However it was so garbled I never even checked on the amp what the signal was. I have a 100 mb connection that normally sits around 70mb and never had issues streaming HD before, so don't know what that was about. Poor.

Last edited:
Several reasons, I assume.

A. Simply overlooked.
B. No one asked the mods.
C. Covid has made life difficult for many, mods don't get paid, so they are simply busy with life.
D. In general, yes. Could be that 99.9 percent of all polls are related to a physical release.

Back