Penteo 16 Winter Sale 2020 now on!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for people’s information, it is possible to run the plogue bidule version of SpecWeb (“Spec”) as a vst. The only cost would be for plogue bidule.

SpecWeb also has “live” capabilities, but needs wired or virtual cables between the stereo source and SpecWeb.

also there is currently a bug where it starts to sound bad, after an extensive amount of time (I forget how long. There is a post in the SpecWeb thread here). That doesn’t apply to the plogue bidule version.

Surround Master gives good results but it’s difficult and slow (real time) to record to file.

I have 4 surround systems (including my car) so creating files for future playback on all 4 is important to me.

Penteo gives great results with no artefacts, but is relatively expensive. It’s very easy to use and supports all speaker configurations 3.0 to 7.1.4 (although there’s not many players that support > 7.1 (currently)

Specweb can give good results but can also exhibit audible artefacts with certain tracks/instruments. Once I heard this I couldn’t ignore and found it dominated my listening (Either hearing it or always thinking it may be there and trying to hear it). Specweb is free though.

Both Penteo and SpecWeb do much faster than real time conversions (e.g a 40 min album in less than 10 min). Surround Master is real time (40 min album takes 40 min)

Thanks to you and the Pupster for your experiences with these. Even on sale Penteo is over $500 Canadian, so it's a very serious decision to choose it over SpecWeb. I'm already a Bidule user for making some of my music.

Last edited:
Thanks to you and the Pupster for your experiences with these. Even on sale Penteo is over $500 Canadian, so it's a very serious decision to choose it over SpecWeb. I'm already a Bidule user for making some of my music.
Hey, I feel there is no wrong answer, which ever way works for you.

Also, often each method can produce equally good results, but just different, depending on the song.

The main reason I've gone more with Penteo is the ease of use; for me anyway.

Okay, I decide to take the plunge and run smack dab into this:
"Your full time occupation and primary source of income must be in the audio industry. You must be at least 25 years old with a minimum of 5 years working in a full time professional capacity. Please give us a short summary of your career and provide a Linkedin page and a website for a company you either own or work for. Approval can happen within the hour or take up to 48 hours."

That let's me out, I'll have to find a different avenue to acquire this.

Very tight membership there Tim!

There seems to be an annual Black Friday sale. And occasional other discounts. I’ll post here if I hear about any.

There was talk of us trying to negotiate a QQ membership discount. Maybe interested members should post here. If we could get 6 or so maybe Penteo would be interested? I guess these are all just for personal use anyway.

I know of one other member that’s keen to go, so there’s 2 minimum now.

Back