Penteo Pro 16 Upmix/Downmix Plug-In

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More on the Penteo issue: It turns out the specific source rear channel high frequency breakup is in all Penteo 16 versions. I only hear it on certain tracks, not many. Over the weekend I tried 4 different Penteo versions, listening to the rears solo in Audacity. Initially I thought an early version did not have the issue. That conclusion is incorrect (my mistake in listening tests). It’s also not specific to my PC setup as I asked @J. PUPSTER to do same upmix and got same results.

I‘m sending a couple of sample stereo tracks to Penteo to see if they can improve the upmix in a future update.

Looks like some interesting developments going on with Penteo, not sure I'll partake in the extra abilities but some here might?

Black Friday Sale - New Penteo release optimized for upmixing 360 Audio​

Share on Facebook
Share on Facebook
The fact that they're enumerating a bunch of "x.x.4" 360RA formats implies that they're anticipating people having the ability to decode 360RA to multi-speaker systems with overheads soon.

No 22.2 mixing/remixing :(

New AVRs are getting MPEG-H 3D/RA360 decoders.

Not sure why they called the new formats Sony RA360. It’s MPEG-H 3D, an international standard being used in new immersive TV broadcasting. The format names are defined in the ITU standard not the clunky names shown in Penteo.

No 22.2 mixing/remixing :(

New AVRs are getting MPEG-H 3D/RA360 decoders.

Not sure why they called the new formats Sony RA360. It’s MPEG-H 3D, an international standard being used in new immersive TV broadcasting. The format named are defined in the ITU standard not the clunky names shown in Penteo.
I expect they're just reflexively deferring to the 500-pound gorilla, which wants to train people to call MPEG-H 3D facial tissue "Sony 360RA Kleenex" instead. (Even more brazen than Apple's half-hearted attempt to stamp Atmos with its "Spatial Audio" brand. At least that move pitted one corporate giant against another, sort of. Not clear to me, however, whether MPEG-H 3D is totally open-source, or merely an open-source implementation of a "patent-encumbered" codec.)

Garry, do you have any sense of whether the MPEG-H decoder involves a separate chip, or can it be done with software? Just wondering whether there's any chance in hell of adding MPEG-H 3D to an existing receiver.

Last edited:
There is an obvious market for an outbound MPEG-H 3D decoder (HDMI) but will we ever see one?

The MPEG-H 3D spec is defined in a ITU specification. There are no licensing fees to decode/encode, however if someone creates software or embedded chip to decode its likley they would charge a fee for the likes of Denon and Marantz to use it.

There is an obvious market for an outbound MPEG-H 3D decoder (HDMI) but will we ever see one?

The MPEG-H 3D spec is defined in a ITU specification. There are no licensing fees to decode/encode, however if someone creates software or embedded chip to decode its likley they would charge a fee for the likes of Denon and Marantz to use it.
Thanks. Also--as long as I've already diverted this thread: have you managed to get a copy of Fraunhofer's MPEG-H Authoring Suite, and if so, have you been able to use the included MPEG-H VVPlayer to send files to your AVR? (Would that be included under "various sinks"?)

https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/amm/dl/software/mas.html
Highlights of the MPEG-H VVPlayer 1.6.3:
  • Playback of MPEG-H Audio media files including support for H.264/AVC and H.256/HEVC video. Video decoding capability relies on OS-level decoder support
  • Output of decoded audio to various sinks including binaural playback on headphones

have you managed to get a copy of Fraunhofer's MPEG-H Authoring Suite

No, I haven’t tried.

I’d want an AVR/External decoder solution. When I listen to music I want to just play anything ad-hoc, not switch between playing systems. Point and play, all my music is on a shared NAS server and I can play everthing/anything from either of my two surround systems. Even switching discs is too painful to endure, my Oppo and a Sony BD player are in a cupboard, havent been used for years.

No, I haven’t tried.

I’d want an AVR/External decoder solution. When I listen to music I want to just play anything ad-hoc, not switch between playing systems. Point and play, all my music is on a shared NAS server and I can play everthing/anything from either of my two surround systems. Even switching discs is too painful to endure, my Oppo and a Sony BD player are in a cupboard, havent been used for years.
Some of us without overly complicated receivers, prefer decoded PCM to keep it simple.

It's $250 to upgrade Penteo Pro 16 to Penteo Pro 16 Plus. It's not worth it for me, because it's mostly just adding the 360RA. For an amateur upmixer, I would say that the $250 upgrade cost would be better spent going towards the cost of DeMUX Pro, or a similar type program, unless you really want that Sony 360RA file output

Decoding to PCM is often way more complex than using an AVR though.
That isn't what I meant. Needless bells and whistles on receivers and having to upgrade for every new format just isn't for me. I like to keep it simple. I keep all my files PCM, already decoded. I realize it isn't the norm, but it works for me. We can all get along!

Got this Penteo sale in my email recently; good through 12/01

PENTEO SALE.jpg

Back