Perhaps Here????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadLee

:(

Hi Guys -

I've posted on several DIY Forums to no avail, not even a reply.

To my surprise a Google search found me an actual Quad site.

1st order of business is to say Thank You to Site Owner for starting this.

Jump into wayback machine (Rocky & Bullwinkle Show) & set clock for 1971. I bought a Sansui QR6500, Akai CR80DSS, Garrard Zero100, Koss Pro4Q and 4 bigbutt Utah 15" 3 ways as Mama's eyeballs were turning red and EPI Towers as well as much wanted Teac 3340a were out of the question. Pretty decent set-up. Traded up to the QRX as soon as it came out. History took the system away as it were but I vowed one day, once again.

The Kids are in mid 30's now and I'm getting no younger so 2 years ago I started collecting all I lost plus. Ebay of course. The Utahs got replaced by Sansui 2000's and 2500's (I got impatient), I got the much wanted Teac, good luck finding Vintage Koss cans but couldn't find a QRX 6500 so went with a QRX 7500. I even bought a QRX 3000 for the Office. This took me a bit over 7 months to find what was advertised as 'good stuff' and the prices I paid were near to double what most of it was going for. Did nothing to test stuff as it arrived (other than speakers which I run now rather than my garbage 6 year old JBL's) as I didn't even have cables , stuff came a bit at a time so without discrete source can't test much anyhow and needed both hubs and reels for Teac. Also needed to buy some 4 channel material. TT still not purchased as after some study found Zero 100 not all it was cracked up to be , can't see giving them $350 for a decent Dual and never could stand to look at a Thorens no matter how good they supposedly were.

Cut to the Chase. Pulled out both receivers just a couple months back. 7500 played at different volumes from front to rear. 3000 only played fronts. You should have seen how elaborate these peoples ad's were and,yes,I communicated a great deal with both parties prior to purchase. Within less than a week both units quit working altogether , all I get now from either is a 'click' when powered up with source hooked up.

I bought all this as I really dug Quad and this system was to be left to my children.

I know nothing about electronics beyond hooking up my stuff. I've got a chunk of change invested and as these don't work I have no idea as to whether or not Akai or Teac work either. Audio Salons are from day's bygone and likely most qualified techs older than Me if I could find one.

I'm here less than 1 hour, did run a search to no avail but only post I found advised poster on trouble shooting , this would do me no good.

A close friend who knows audio advised I trash it including stuff not tested and give up Quad dream. We're talking some serious bucks here Boy's. He claims transformers likely low on charge, wiring totally dried out and resistors and capacitors likely all needing replacement.

I don't know what to do. Cosmetically stuff is all 9 plus. I really think shipping could have been enough to have caused some damage or I simply found 2 sellers without conscience.

Do any of you know of any tech within 150 miles of central WI I could take the 7500 to (can live without the 3000) to get it checked out? That distance gets me to parts of IL,IA, MI and MN.

I can't see taking a chance on another receiver not knowing if the tape decks work or not either.

Pretty sad here......

QuadLee

Welcome QuadLee! Glad you found us.

Hopefully, one of our members can help you out. I think there are some restorers around the Chicago area.

Welcome QuadLee! Glad you found us.

Hopefully, one of our members can help you out. I think there are some restorers around the Chicago area.

Try this guy, he will do ya right and a quadfellow in the 10th degree.

Chicago Audio
3933 West 63rd St.
Chicago, IL 60629

PH: 773-735-8833

Back