Quad LP/Tape Poll Persuasive Percussion [QS/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Persuasive Percussion"

• 10: Great Mix, Great Sound, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Although Martin Denny's EXOTICA may have come first, this was the album that solidified a movement later called 'Bachelor Pad' music. It was also audiophile in focus, with wide stereo, great clarity, and detailed notes explaining what you were listening to.

This is the first Command Quadraphonic Lp--CQD 40000--from 1971, repackaged(this cover sux), though the gatefold and (updated)liner notes are retained.

Side 1:

1. I'm In The Mood For Love
2. Whatever Lola Wants
3. Misirlou
4. I Surrender Dear
5. Orchids In The Moonlight
6. I Love Paris

Side 2:

1. My Heart Belongs To Daddy
2. Taboo
3. The Breeze And I
4. Aloha Oe
5. Japanese Sandman
6. Love Is A Many Splendored Thing

Note: Although Joel Whitburn lists PERSUASIVE PERCUSSION under Enoch Light/Terry Snyder & The All-Stars(all were involved, of course, but the latter were a loose bunch of studio musicians who also recorded solo work, not a 'real' band; Light was the owner of Command, and producer of the recording), I've listed this one as it is presented. So sue me...:)

ED :)

The music is better than the quad mix. There's plenty of separation, but it puts sound in motion rather than the ping-pong effect used in the stereo version. The only way we could tell the record was QS-encoded was the picture of a Sansui QS encoder in the gatefold.

I've often wondered what Enoch Light himself would have done, had he mixed this one for quad(my copy of the record has no credits whatsoever, unless their was an insert or custom record sleeve mine is missing). Light sold Command years before and started up Project 3, and it's a pity more of those Command titles didn't get the QS treatment, regardless of what one thinks of this example.

Still, it's a pretty good mix for source material that's inherently limited by the original intentions of the artists. There is still a ping-pong effect, but there is panning to the rears as well, and the fidelity of the recording and vinyl is exceptional, IMO.

I would have liked to have heard what he would have done with the "Stereo 35MM" album in QS, if that one had enough recorded tracks to do it. Actually, I have many of the Command Quadraphonic albums that were previously part of Light's stereo "demo:" recordings, and the sound on all of them is quite good. The pressings were better than average, too.

What's sad is that(although I have no personal knowledge of this), it may be that the Command multis got tossed along with a lot of other ABC-owned tapes back in the '70s. If so, depressing, because some of that stuff, while rote in content, was a lot of fun to listen to because the focus was on STEREO, the juxtaposition of instruments, and the L/C/R soundfield. These albums were a harbinger of quad, in their fashion.

I'm thinking that, when Universal bought out ABC Records, they probably did dump much of what they thought wasn't viable to re-release at a future time. Those albums were a very dated concept, so those tapes got the heave-ho. Too bad, too. But these ABC Command Quad LP's were just another example of why I think the QS system was the best matrix quad system of all. And Enoch Light's QS pressings on Project 3 did much to reinforce my opinion.

Last edited:
Back