WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Croom as in Sumter County, above highway 50? :unsure: I used to ride my Suzuki X5 to Silver Lake/Croom-a-coochie/Withlacoochie River or else the old "bushback" mine off 50/I75. Had a flat tire once just past Highway 50 and two Hells Angels hauled it to a gas station, fixed it and brought it back to me. Every 15 year old's thrill. lol. That was cool.
Croom, in Hernando County, is just north of Hwy 50 and just to the west of I-75 and, yep, it was one of the only state off-road vehicle parks that I've ever seen. It was quite the exciting place in the early- to mid-70s because you got to see the birth of enduro racing, trials events and motocross in the US there. I grew up on a large parcel of wooded land there that bordered park, so we used to ride our bikes there on [practically] a daily basis. What was the year of your Hells Angels encounter?

EDIT: I recall hearing Seger's Night Moves for the first time at Silver Lake. I can't tell you how many times we played the 8-track that night.

Last edited:
The last time I saw them was on the Farewell Tour of '82 in Orlando. One of the warmup bands that afternoon was the B-52s, but one of their band members got hit with a piece of 2 x 4, thrown from the crowd, which brought their set to screeching halt. It was quite clear that the audience was there for maximum R&B: not new wave.

When The Who finally got to take the stage, in the late evening, John got to step up from behind his stand-mounted brandy bottles and do "Boris the Spider" and "My Wife," and the whole band, including Kenney Jones, was in rare form. The entire audience was one that night, especially when the band did their anthemic and thunderous rendition of "See Me, Feel Me" ... and the obligatory transition into "Listening to You" -- a song that has always floated on the Ox's bass -- did its magic by lifting everyone off of their asses. A beautiful scene that I was very proud to witness. :smokin
The last time I saw them live was on their farewell tour at MLG in Toronto….went to both the warm up show the night before the WORLD-WIDE simulcast and had the Front Row Center seats on the floor for the live Broadcast……camped out for 3 DAYS MAN!!!! Those were the daze😁

The last time I saw them live was on their farewell tour at MLG in Toronto….went to both the warm up show the night before the WORLD-WIDE simulcast and had the Front Row Center seats on the floor for the live Broadcast……camped out for 3 DAYS MAN!!!! Those were the daze😁
I wonder if camping out at the arena where the tickets are sold would even yield good tickets anymore? Do venues still have walk-up ticket windows open during the day? Do people stand in line and actually physically purchase tickets anymore?
Every ticket I have purchased in the last 20 years was purchased on-line. I never camped overnight but I got there early and waited in line several hours on more than one occasion.

I wonder if camping out at the arena where the tickets are sold would even yield good tickets anymore? Do venues still have walk-up ticket windows open during the day? Do people stand in line and actually physically purchase tickets anymore?
Every ticket I have purchased in the last 20 years was purchased on-line. I never camped overnight but I got there early and waited in line several hours on more than one occasion.
I haven’t lined up for tickets since the final WHO tour mentioned above when ticket prices were still quite reasonable in price…someone walked off with my ticket stub collection a few years ago so don’t remember what the price was but probably somewhere between $15-$25 CDN. But I shot the whole show with my Nikon 35 mm SLR, and still have my slides…. always used POSITIVE FILM much better for reproducing in mags😁

Yeah I grew up in the Lakeland area, born there. I actually went to more shows at Bayfront, the Curtis Hixon center, and in Orlando than in Lakeland. I did go see Sea Level and Jefferson Starship at the Arena / Civic Center in Lakeland, as well as the Charlie Daniels Band. I went to pretty much every "Rock Superbowl" at the old Tangerine Bowl in Orlando.

Was at the Led Zep concert (Tampa stadium) when it started raining and Zep hauled ass to the airport, got on their plane and left w/o telling anyone. After a few hours the little barricade in front of the stage was broken down by irate concert goers and me and my buddy left just as the riot police were staging.When we hit I4 the radio said the cops were busting a few heads....
When I was in my late teens we'd drive over to St Pete or Tampa for a concert, then drive down Highway 60 all the way to "the palms" at Vero Beach and watch the sun come up. Then turn around and drive home. Good old Yeehaw Junction. lol. Went through there going to Vero a few years ago to see a new grandson. How my stepson ended up in Vero I don't know.....but pretty sure a woman was involved.

I saw a few shows at Curtis Hixon Hall (U2 War Tour). Zeppelin and the Rock Superbowl's were before my time, but I am familiar with them. Yeehaw Junction brings back memories. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and my dad's sister lived in Odessa, so we would go there on holidays down the turnpike through Yeehaw. I used to make runs down to Lauderdale regularly from Clearwater. The Eagles at the Orange Bowl is a good memory in my '69 Purple Dodge Charger. Also, The Monday Night Football game when Dan Marino beat the Bears in '85 Christmas time. Bears only loss! Good times!

One of the warmup bands that afternoon was the B-52s, but one of their band members got hit with a piece of 2 x 4, thrown from the crowd, which brought their set to screeching halt. It was quite clear that the audience was there for maximum R&B: not new wave.
Must be tough crowds in Orlando...

I wonder if they have since banned 2x4s from being carried in.... :unsure:

How could anyone not comment on that? A farewell tour in 1982... what were they thinking?!!!
That was 40 years ago. LOL :)
To be somewhat fair, they didn’t release another studio album for 24 years. And another 13 to release the next...

Croom, in Hernando County, is just north of Hwy 50 and just to the west of I-75 and, yep, it was one of the only state off-road vehicle parks that I've ever seen. It was quite the exciting place in the early- to mid-70s because you got to see the birth of enduro racing, trials events and motocross in the US there. I grew up on a large parcel of wooded land there that bordered park, so we used to ride our bikes there on [practically] a daily basis. What was the year of your Hells Angels encounter?

EDIT: I recall hearing Seger's Night Moves for the first time at Silver Lake. I can't tell you how many times we played the 8-track that night.
I will quit clogging this thread and PM.

Must be tough crowds in Orlando...
I wonder if they have since banned 2x4s from being carried in.... :unsure:

Needless to say, that concert took place a very long time ago, but, as I recall, there was some kind of construction going on inside the stadium. I'm assuming that someone would've been stopped, had they been carrying lumber, but I've seen all manner of signage in stadiums (especially back in the pre-911 era), so who knows. Regardless, it was serious enough to cause the band to leave the stage and a very memorable concert ensued...and, once again, I was proud to have been a small part of a great event. :smokin

By the way, I spent several years overseas wearing a uniform. While I was there, I became a fan of European football and, during those years, several major "disturbances" occurred, including one at Heysel Stadium in Brussels, Belgium (39 fatalities) and another at Hillsborough Stadium in South Yorkshire, UK (97 fatalities). I've also seen all manner of flares launched from the crowd at other matches over the years. When I think back to exiting White Hart Lane stadium, north of London, I also clearly recall walking between two columns of riot police mounted on riot gear clad horses. The point is that I've either watched or personally experienced all manner of nonsense occurring in stadiums, so a chunk of lumber being thrown from an inebriated Who fan seems fairly minor by comparison.

Last edited:
I saw them, including Moon, at Central Park in NY. Paid 3 bucks admission. No guitars, amps or drums were destroyed.
I saw them at The Spectrum in Philly back in '75, and I can unequivocally say that guitars, amps, and drums were destroyed. Along with a few tambourines. What a show.

I must have been asleep at the wheel, as I just became aware of this upcoming release. Who's Next is probably my favorite album of all time, no matter the genre (and I have a wide range of musical tastes). Every single song on it is a masterpiece and the various Lifehouse material released over the years isn't far behind. Hopefully, that stuff will also get the surround treatment. And if this is what Steven Wilson has been occupying himself with for the last two years (wishful thinking?), well, cost be damned.

Back