WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite Who album and would LOVE an Atmos version. However, I haven't exactly been wowed by the previous surround mixes for Tommy (twice) or Quadrophenia. Both have been lacking something. I don't recall who did the mixes (Bob Pridden? approved by Pete).

I hope Pete reconstructs the story along the lines of the radio play even if that requires re-sequencing the order of some of the Who's Next songs so that the story finally makes sense. Pete wrote the Lifehouse concept long before the internet existed and it seemed like a ridiculous fairy tale. Now, considering how social media, phones, surveillance tech, etc. have progressed, the story is not that far fetched. I'm looking forward to this release.

I hope Pete reconstructs the story along the lines of the radio play even if that requires re-sequencing the order of some of the Who's Next songs so that the story finally makes sense. Pete wrote the Lifehouse concept long before the internet existed and it seemed like a ridiculous fairy tale. Now, considering how social media, phones, surveillance tech, etc. have progressed, the story is not that far fetched. I'm looking forward to this release.

There's no way Who's Next won't be released as it was originally.

As far as the story goes, it evolved over time. A lot of what was on Lifehouse Chronicles didn't exist at the time. Songs like Relay, Join Together, Slip Kid, and Who Are You were all written after Who's Next was released. And even some things that were written at the time, like Mary, apparently were never recorded by The Who.

They already did a deluxe edition with bonus tracks. It would be a missed opportunity to just release it again with a jumble of demos & outtakes, out of order from where they would fall in a cohesive story line.
Heck, even Brian Wilson was finally able to put SMiLE together as he originally intended after many years. I hope Pete has the same desire.

They already did a deluxe edition with bonus tracks. It would be a missed opportunity to just release it again with a jumble of demos & outtakes, out of order from where they would fall in a cohesive story line.
Heck, even Brian Wilson was finally able to put SMiLE together as he originally intended after many years. I hope Pete has the same desire.

Not gonna happen. "As originally intended" never existed in the first place.

My favorite Who album and would LOVE an Atmos version. However, I haven't exactly been wowed by the previous surround mixes for Tommy (twice) or Quadrophenia. Both have been lacking something. I don't recall who did the mixes (Bob Pridden? approved by Pete).

The surround mix on the Tommy SACD may not wow anyone, but at least the fidelity is very good. Pity that the fidelity on the 5.1 of Quadrophenia isn't up to snuff. I'd love a 5.1 Who's Next if the fidelity is taken to the level of Tommy. Of course I would like a kick-ass surround mix, but I'd live with conservative one if the sound quality is top shelf.

The Lifehouse Chronicles was a limited edition 6 CD box set released in 2000 by Pete's eelpie label. I wonder which and how many of the demos from Lifehouse will end up on the Who's Next/Lifehouse box set. I also wonder if any of the original tapes will have to be baked in order to salvage the contents.

As a side note, Pete's pretty deaf these days so I hope that he's got some nonhearing challenged folks with great taste working on this project with him.
I’ve got that 6CD set if you can get it, it’s worth it😁

271244611_474460357383118_8747502256173357234_n.jpg

The Who just changed the cover photo of their Facebook page to the above image.

Could an announcement about a Deluxe edition be coming soon? It would be a little surprising since The Who have not been as quick with their reissues series as a band like Jethro Tull has. But maybe since they haven't been able to tour because of the pandemic, they have had time to concentrate on other projects? Fingers crossed!

Who’s Next in surround or Atmos is a holy grail title for me. Awesome album. 🙏
For me it was "Tommy", and we got that. "Who's Next" is next on that list. And third, probably "Who Are You". As for "Quadrophenia", that was a happy accident.
Pete is definitely aware of and open to multi-channel as evidenced by the aforementioned T and Q albums, so I think we should be hopeful.... but will he release it as a stand-alone like the other two (that may be a bit too hopeful).

Some food for thought....

The Who have favored April releases in recent years. They released the 1968 Fillmore East concert on April 20, 2018. (Townshend also released a deluxe edition of his solo debut Who Came First on the same day).

Last year, they released a deluxe edition of The Who Sell Out on April 23.

So maybe we can expect an April release this year.

And here's the bit that would make it amazing.... In a recent Facebook post, Steven Wilson stated that "I did my fair share of mixing work for other artists in 2021, including some very unexpected high profile ones, but most of these projects have been held over until 2022". Who's Next would certainly fit the profile of "unexpected high profile". The Who's catalog is distributed by Universal, a label that Steven often works with on such projects (such as the recent Kiss set). We have all dared to dream about Who's Next in surround......but mixed by Steven Wilson??? If this is one of those "unexpected high profile" projects, this could be heaven.

Who’s Next in surround or Atmos is a holy grail title for me. Awesome album. 🙏
Let’s hope it is but I’m HEDGING my BETS it’s DEFINITELY NOT!!

But if it turns out to be MULTICHANNEL and done CORRECTLY…..well that would end up being the album of ALL ALBUMS to compare it to til the END OF TIME or until LZ do their catalogue

Last edited:
Back