WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When this last came up a few years ago it was noted that the multitracks were MIA. I wonder if they've since been found
Not all of them. Only three songs, I believe (Bargain, This Song Is Over, Getting In Tune - I think). The other six are not missing. But probably some of the non-album tracks are missing too.

Remember the multis for some songs were used in the Making Of DVD and they were utilized for stereo remixes - and Rock Band surround - of the other songs dating back to the late 90s...

I’m not aware of any change in status of the missing multis.

The Lifehouse Chronicles was a limited edition 6 CD box set released in 2000 by Pete's eelpie label. I wonder which and how many of the demos from Lifehouse will end up on the Who's Next/Lifehouse box set. I also wonder if any of the original tapes will have to be baked in order to salvage the contents.

As a side note, Pete's pretty deaf these days so I hope that he's got some nonhearing challenged folks with great taste working on this project with him.

Since The Who Sell Out didn't include a multi channel mix of the album, I wish I could be optimistic of this anniversary edition. Sorry for the party poopin'

I think this is a different kettle of fish.
First off Who's Next is a MUCH bigger album than The Who Sell Out.
Then, there's more recorded tracks on this album than on The Who Sell Out.
(I could be wrong but I think Who's Next was recorded on 16-track.)
So that means there's more possibilities for a good 5.1 and Dolby Atmos mix with this album than there would be with The Who Sell Out.

Hope Springs Eternal!

:)

Since The Who Sell Out didn't include a multi channel mix of the album, I wish I could be optimistic of this anniversary edition. Sorry for the party poopin'

The booklet in the Sell Out box mentions that the multitracks for many songs were unable to be located.

I could be wrong but I think Who's Next was recorded on 16-track.

According to Wikipedia, some of Who's Next was recorded 16 track while some was recorded 8 track. The same article also references a book published 10 years ago that stated that the multi tracks for "Bargain" and "Getting in Tune" are missing. Hopefully they have been located since.

The booklet in the Sell Out box mentions that the multitracks for many songs were unable to be located.

According to Wikipedia, some of Who's Next was recorded 16 track while some was recorded 8 track. The same article also references a book published 10 years ago that stated that the multi tracks for "Bargain" and "Getting in Tune" are missing. Hopefully they have been located since.

Wasn't the master lost too?

Wasn't the master lost too?

Nope.

The note about missing multitracks in the Sell Out box refers to the various stages of raw session tapes. The master 4-tracks all exist, as evidenced by the 1995 remix.

As far as I know, Won't Get Fooled Again was recorded at Stargroves on the Rolling Stones Mobile on 16-track, while everything else was recorded at Olympic on 8-track via bouncing. Bargain, Song Is Over, and Getting In Tune were missing the last I knew. And I'm not sure if they're even aware that any pre-bounce tapes should exist. The final 8-track for Baba has drums, bass, guitar, and piano all on a pair of tracks, and in the Classic Albums DVD Glyn Johns claims he "recorded the band in stereo", but I'm nearly certain that was all just bounced from an earlier 8-track.

So it was a long time ago in regards to the master so memory was partially incorrect , so it wasn't lost but it is pretty much toast, from the Hoffam site about the master :

"The main reason that I made sure I made my 30 ips safety version and marked it "USE THIS!" is because the original Agfa tape was shedding that yellow backcoating crap like a sonofabitch. It was all over the floor when I was mastering WHO'S NEXT. This is the reason the "Do Not Use" markings stayed on the tape."

So it was a long time ago in regards to the master so memory was partially incorrect , so it wasn't lost but it is pretty much toast, from the Hoffam site about the master :

"The main reason that I made sure I made my 30 ips safety version and marked it "USE THIS!" is because the original Agfa tape was shedding that yellow backcoating crap like a sonofabitch. It was all over the floor when I was mastering WHO'S NEXT. This is the reason the "Do Not Use" markings stayed on the tape."

Unless it was noted somewhere else, the masters don't indicate "Do Not Use" on them.

4331902038_faa6f0a9ce_k.jpg

4331163783_fc7ad921d4_k.jpg

The masters have been used for the Deluxe Edition, SHM-SACD, HD download, and...the latest box set. I'm not aware of any significant issues with them.

And FYI, BASF, not Agfa.

Unless it was noted somewhere else, the masters don't indicate "Do Not Use" on them.

4331902038_faa6f0a9ce_k.jpg

4331163783_fc7ad921d4_k.jpg

The masters have been used for the Deluxe Edition, SHM-SACD, HD download, and...the latest box set. I'm not aware of any significant issues with them.

And FYI, BASF, not Agfa.

Stereo masters .

I hope the multi's are also usable.

Back