WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who's Next in surround would be a Holy Grail for me. We did get Quadrophenia but it was a bit disappointing sound wise. Hopefully this would be better.
Agreed: Quadrophenia just didn’t SLAM did it?!
I’m pretty sure at least one multitrack is missing of Who’s Next…. But I’ll take an upmix 👍

Who's Next in surround would be a Holy Grail for me. We did get Quadrophenia but it was a bit disappointing sound wise. Hopefully this would be better.

Yeah, I never listen to Quadrophenia because the sound quality isn't so hot. I hope that they can get the SQ right for a surround remix of Who's Next, otherwise it will be a major disappointment.

Agreed: Quadrophenia just didn’t SLAM did it?!
I’m pretty sure at least one multitrack is missing of Who’s Next…. But I’ll take an upmix 👍

As noted, unless something has changed, three: Bargain, Song Is Over, and Getting In Tune. Plus the final multi for Baba has drums, bass, guitar, and piano all recorded across 2 tracks.

As noted, unless something has changed, three: Bargain, Song Is Over, and Getting In Tune. Plus the final multi for Baba has drums, bass, guitar, and piano all recorded across 2 tracks.
Ah thanks for that info. Hmm….. a little disappointing then…..!

From Wikipedia:

Video game publisher Harmonix wanted to release Who's Next as downloadable, playable content for the music video game series Rock Band, but were unable to do so due to difficulty finding the original multitrack recordings...... The 16-track tapes to "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the 8-track tapes to the other material except "Bargain" and "Getting In Tune" have since been discovered.

The source of that last sentence is a book published in 2011. Hopefully the multis for those last two songs have since been located. Even if they haven't, remember that Townshend once gave us half of an album in 5.1 (the original surround mix of Quadrophenia) and that if this is indeed one of Steven Wilson's "high profile" projects, SW hasn't been afraid to do upmixes when a the multis for a few songs haven't been available (Tears For Fears, Tangerine Dream). Plus, with so many other non-LP songs recorded around this time ("The Seeker", "Let's See Action", "Relay", "Join Together") there could be a decent amount of extra surround mixes included, assuming the multis for thos tracks can be located.

From Wikipedia:

Video game publisher Harmonix wanted to release Who's Next as downloadable, playable content for the music video game series Rock Band, but were unable to do so due to difficulty finding the original multitrack recordings...... The 16-track tapes to "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the 8-track tapes to the other material except "Bargain" and "Getting In Tune" have since been discovered.

The source of that last sentence is a book published in 2011. Hopefully the multis for those last two songs have since been located. Even if they haven't, remember that Townshend once gave us half of an album in 5.1 (the original surround mix of Quadrophenia) and that if this is indeed one of Steven Wilson's "high profile" projects, SW hasn't been afraid to do upmixes when a the multis for a few songs haven't been available (Tears For Fears, Tangerine Dream). Plus, with so many other non-LP songs recorded around this time ("The Seeker", "Let's See Action", "Relay", "Join Together") there could be a decent amount of extra surround mixes included, assuming the multis for thos tracks can be located.

FWIW, WGFA *was* issued for Rock Band.

My guess is the lack of mention of Song Is Over is simply an oversight and it is (was?) in fact also still missing.

The Seeker, Let's See Action, Relay, and Join Together have all been remixed already, so the tapes exist, although technically only Let's See Action was from the Lifehouse/Who's Next sessions (although the others will probably be included regardless).

From Wikipedia:

EXCELLENT news 🧐👍

FWIW, WGFA *was* issued for Rock Band.

My guess is the lack of mention of Song Is Over is simply an oversight and it is (was?) in fact also still missing.

The Seeker, Let's See Action, Relay, and Join Together have all been remixed already, so the tapes exist, although technically only Let's See Action was from the Lifehouse/Who's Next sessions (although the others will probably be included regardless).

Thanks for stopping by here at QQ @lukpac to drop some quality quad knowledge, it's much appreciated
Don't be a stranger.
:51QQ

I know you're plenty busy keeping things on track over at that other forum. ;)
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 1.17.15 PM.png

This is a great article by Glyn Johns about the recording of Baba O'Riley. The Who's “Baba O’Riley” - Classic Tracks - Mixonline
For me, it reinforces the feeling that all involved were at the top of their game and that Pete is a genius.

This tidbit about using a Lowrey organ for the opening of Baba is of extreme interest to me. Decades ago, I was messing around with this song on my Lowrey and found that I could duplicate that Baba intro to a degree beyond my wildest expectations. Now I know why!

"Townshend had the Lowrey organ and a synthesizer at hand, though it is the Lowrey alone heard on “Baba.” “So much of what people call ‘synthesizer’ in Who music is not,” Kehew states. “’Won’t Get Fooled Again’ is not really a synthesizer—it’s an organ, this Lowrey, being chopped up through a synthesizer, but it’s basically a stutter.”

The setting Townshend discovered on the Lowrey was called “Marimba Repeat,” which emulated sequencing in a way he had hoped to produce using an ARP 2500 he had just recently received.

“If you just hold the keys down, ‘Marimba Repeat’ does these little figures,” Kehew explains. “It jumps around, articulating the notes you’re holding, as if you’re playing very quickly and doing cool parts, but it does it for you. So it’s not a sequencer, and it’s not a sequence. It was a discovery, accidentally, on Pete’s part that it did these things, and he could use them in a rock song.”

Here is a pic of my Lowrey with the rhythm machine at the lower left. The second photo shows the "Marimba Repeat" tab (far left) mentioned in the article.

Lowrey1.jpg

Marimba Repeat.jpg

This is a great article by Glyn Johns about the recording of Baba O'Riley. The Who's “Baba O’Riley” - Classic Tracks - Mixonline
For me, it reinforces the feeling that all involved were at the top of their game and that Pete is a genius.

Unfortunately there's some conflation of Baba and WGFA in that article. It was Baba that was edited down from the demo, not WGFA, and the Olympic recordings were 8-track, not 16-track.

This tidbit about using a Lowrey organ for the opening of Baba is of extreme interest to me. Decades ago, I was messing around with this song on my Lowrey and found that I could duplicate that Baba intro to a degree beyond my wildest expectations. Now I know why!

"Townshend had the Lowrey organ and a synthesizer at hand, though it is the Lowrey alone heard on “Baba.” “So much of what people call ‘synthesizer’ in Who music is not,” Kehew states. “’Won’t Get Fooled Again’ is not really a synthesizer—it’s an organ, this Lowrey, being chopped up through a synthesizer, but it’s basically a stutter.”

The setting Townshend discovered on the Lowrey was called “Marimba Repeat,” which emulated sequencing in a way he had hoped to produce using an ARP 2500 he had just recently received.

“If you just hold the keys down, ‘Marimba Repeat’ does these little figures,” Kehew explains. “It jumps around, articulating the notes you’re holding, as if you’re playing very quickly and doing cool parts, but it does it for you. So it’s not a sequencer, and it’s not a sequence. It was a discovery, accidentally, on Pete’s part that it did these things, and he could use them in a rock song.”

Here is a pic of my Lowrey with the rhythm machine at the lower left. The second photo shows the "Marimba Repeat" tab (far left) mentioned in the article.

View attachment 75043

View attachment 75044

Dusty old organ innards, love it!

Back in the 60s it was common to see a spinet organ in the living room of grandparents for hymns or two-fingered Lawrence Welk music.
Nowadays you can't give them away, most are eventually set on the curb for the garbage truck.

Of course, The Band's Garth Hudson was the leading rock exponent of the mighty Lowery sound.
He'd run it through a telegraph key to get a stutter sound.

Kerrin Worsfold: Garth's Gear - The Classic Years

GarthWails75.jpg

View attachment 75043

View attachment 75044
Great stuff ar, didn't know you played keyboards!

Here's some more Show 'n Tell (although obviously your unit is much bigger than mine :unsure:)

Years ago I learned about part of Pete's rig for the Who's Next sessions; about some gear Joe Walsh gave him that he ended up using for awhile on his recordings. It consists mainly of a 1959 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Hollow Body into a 1959 Fender Bandmaster and an Edwards Light Beam volume pedal. Now, I don't have the Gretsch, but I do have a Les Paul Standard from the early 70's and an Edwards Light Beam volume pedal that I've played around with (very smooth sounding!) Pedal Steel players mainly used and liked it IINM. Mine has an additional top horizontal swinging foot plate (to the one in the videos below), but I don't know if that's original or a later custom alteration; or if it even actually does anything. But besides that, I find it interesting that Pete used a Hollow Body guitar on some of these tunes with lots of distortion etc.

Here's some links about it...

https://www.guitarplayer.com/player...ooled-again-performance-at-shepperton-studios

Here's a shot of my model:

Edwards Light Beam Volume Pdeal.jpg

Back