• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Music DVD Poll Peter Gabriel - Greatest Hits

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-V of "Peter Gabriel - Greatest Hits"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I got the Athens Blu-ray which has a copy of this.

I have to say that some of the tracks sound like poor facsimilies of the original stereo tracks - they sound like re-makes :yikes rather than just being re-mixes from the multis. The surround versions of Big Time and Sledgehammer in particular don't do it for me. :( However, some of the other tracks work quite well.

ProgRules

600 Club - QQ All-Star

I have to say that some of the tracks sound like poor facsimilies of the original stereo tracks - they sound like re-makes :yikes rather than just being re-mixes from the multis. The surround versions of Big Time and Sledgehammer in particular don't do it for me. :( However, some of the other tracks work quite well.
There are some rather distinctive differences in a lot of the tracks. I think the changes are detrimental overall, but maybe I'm just not amenable to change. :mad:@: But the songs on this dvd that also appear on the "All About Us" laserdisc are better on the LD, imo, even though it's only Dolby Surround (i.e. matrixed). I always really loved the version of Kiss That Frog on there, which was created for a ride (!) according to the LD.

In general, I prefer mch mixes that don't add elements, though I enjoy hearing new things in the mix, i.e. w/ the added room to breathe, bringing up some existing elements that were somewhat buried in the stereo mix.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star

Funny - I love demoing my system with Sledgehammer. The way the flute at the beginning is in the center only, then the horns blast from the back and that perfectly mixed bass thunders through the room... I love it.

bobou2

Funny - I love demoing my system with Sledgehammer. The way the flute at the beginning is in the center only, then the horns blast from the back and that perfectly mixed bass thunders through the room... I love it.
It sounds incredible in my Acura...
I have a question about one song on the new(fixed) disc....Are the main vocals on "Digging in the Dirt" mostly in the rear channels? It always sounded weird to me and I can't find my original Play DVD.

Snood

Staff member
Ugggggggggh and another disc I need to get......thanks for the info tho, would have ended up buying the wrong thing. Cant wait \o/

Will be all like this :51banana: when I get it

JimHansonDC

If you love some discrete elements all around in the mix
You get it and they are stunning. Gabriel's music is rich and nicely layered so this gives everyone room to breathe and a place in the room to stand.

There are also some interesting uses of essentially a straight 4.0 quad mix with the LFE kicking in on the second verse and the center only used sparingly for vocals.

Other times you get a lead vocal iso in the center and you can really hear how much effects (echo and distortions) they put on his voice. he's not a pretty singer and that gives some of his haunting sound.

It's fair to say there are some major changes from the 2ch single mixes but I happened to dig them and they were definitely done to take advantage of the additional channels.

Gotta say, I loved every second of it.